Torquay Boy.

I know we are all naturally caught up in who will be the next manager but what about the improvements necessary to our playing squad in the meantime?

I am concerned that if it, quite rightly, takes us some time to appoint a new manager this is the worst time of the year to be awaiting for an input from some unknown manager before we put plans in place for the January window.

Sacking a manager only months after we have backed him to bring in his own squad of players is not ideal as at least some of the players such as Morelos, Candais, Pena and Herrera will be wondering what their future holds which is not good for their moral.

We all know that the squad needs supplemented if we are to end up as high up the league this season so the clock is ticking whilst we go through the manager recruitment process. It is obviously a Catch 22 situation faced by the Board.

My view is that we should leave Murty in place until the end of the season but perhaps strengthen the squad with players such as McLean, Walker and Moult all of whom are low cost purchases and save the bulk of our ' player pot ' for a new manager coming in around May 2018.

Does anyone agree.? WATP.

Full back areas continue to be a concern. Elton has done okay in patches but is only on loan for the season. Tav's performances have drawn praise and criticism. We miss him when he's not there and Hodson can do a job but isn't at the same level.

Central Midfield - once you take out the perennially injured Rossiter and Niko, we aren't left with enough options.

Wings - Windass is unconvincing despite his goal on Saturday. Candeias has been okay, pretty consistent but Nemane looks like a lost boy.

Striker - I think we're one light in that area. E.g. take Morelos out the team and we are weakened. Hardie came off the bench and if the rationale is that he's 4th (ish) choice then he needs to get more minutes so we can see if he'll develop into a player for us. Miller is capable of Saturday performance levels but question marks about his age and whether he can do that consistently. Herrera - only seen glimpses of what he's about but so far certainly no better than likes of Waghorn and Garner.

Now that we have a DOF the manager is not as vital in signings as was once the case.

As I understand it what happens is coaching staff tell DOF the positions they want strengthened the attributes they are wanting eg Left Sided MF pace ,two footed ,good at tracking back ,crossing ability etc etc

Then DOF should have a long list and match up against the requirements of the coaching staff.

Any new guy coming in it shouldn’t take him long to know where he needs to strengthen ,or if he wants to change the style etc so new players with certain skill sets are required

Despite what the board have hinted at, I'm not sure we will have any more cash to bring people in.

I have my doubts too. Any plans they had for January may now be moot since Pedro and his team will have to be paid off.

Full back areas continue to be a concern. Elton has done okay in patches but is only on loan for the season. Tav's performances have drawn praise and criticism. We miss him when he's not there and Hodson can do a job but isn't at the same level.

Central Midfield - once you take out the perennially injured Rossiter and Niko, we aren't left with enough options.

Wings - Windass is unconvincing despite his goal on Saturday. Candeias has been okay, pretty consistent but Nemane looks like a lost boy.

Striker - I think we're one light in that area. E.g. take Morelos out the team and we are weakened. Hardie came off the bench and if the rationale is that he's 4th (ish) choice then he needs to get more minutes so we can see if he'll develop into a player for us. Miller is capable of Saturday performance levels but question marks about his age and whether he can do that consistently. Herrera - only seen glimpses of what he's about but so far certainly no better than likes of Waghorn and Garner.

I'd keep John and Tav but we need two full backs both right and left. I have no idea why people think that Hodson can do a job, he cant. He's poor going forwards, he's poor in defence and he offers very little cover. When a player doesn't know whether to stick or twist they often find themselves out of position which he does regularly and he doesn't have the pace or the vision to make up the ground when he finds himself in that position regularly. Wallace on the other side can be quite similar and what I find frustrating about him is that he does have the pace and vision to make up the yards but has absolutely no urgency whatsoever. In the case of Hodson he's simply nowhere near good enough but thats not his fault really as thats all he's got to work with. Wallace on the other hand is a different story.

We need a couple of LMF's that can play wide with pace one to play regularly and one for cover. We also need cover for Candieas. We need a more consistent AMF, at least more consistent than Pena, who can break the oppositions lines and arrive late in the penalty box to either support a single striker or to add a +1 if we play with 2 up.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. We need at least 26 players for our squad to try do it on anything less is stupid anyway thats what I think we need regardless of what manager we get in.

Whilst everyone has an opinion on where our squad could be strengthened that was not the thrust of my question.

I was asking whether we should leave Graham Murty in place until the end of the season to give the Board the time to do due diligence on our new manager which is of huge importance if we do not want continual management replacement as we have seen with Warburton and Pedro.

As I said we could still strengthen the squad with the low cost players mentioned in the January window and allow him to make a fist of it for challenging for the top league placings and probably get us into Europe.

Unlike some of the posters I cannot believe that there will be no money in January. If that is the case any new manager worth his salt will stay well clear of us. It is how and when we spend it that is of primary importance. Continual improvement in our squad in each window is a must if we are to get closer to Septic. Remember they will have more money from their European involvement to allow them to strengthen theirs.....Scary thought......

WATP

I like Murty and he could be useful in some capacity for the first team now but I think we need someone with more experience to take charge.

I would not be that happy having Murty in charge for the rest of the season.