Rangers v Thistle - The Never Ending Journey

Statistics are never the full story, each stat tells one part of it, but can remove a lot of subjectivity.

For instance, you might think a guy looks slow, maybe because of his running style, but the sprinting stats might show him to be one of the fastest.

I think at games there is no chance for watching and registering everything that all 11 of your team's players do. And I think a lot of assessments are a bit of a tally of good things and bad things a player subjectively is *seen* to do in a game. We miss a lot, we have a lot of confirmation bias and our memories are not perfect...

Stats are a good way to reassess aspects of a players game and maybe you will see it tally up next time, when you will be more knowledgeable about what to look for.

I loved that line, it reminded me of Fraser Aird. During his first season, I would always be sympathising with him that he was really unlucky to come up against the fastest player on the opposition side every week as he looks really fast with his running style. After about 6 months the penny dropped that it was only his running "style" that was fast, his actual pace was average!!

I will trust watching a player live 20 times to make an assessment before I will believe Youtube clips and radar stats. Perhaps the FIFA game-playing generation want to believe stats are everything, its not for me and in no way beats watching a player live in the ground, seeing what they do on and off the ball, how they make decisions, how they read the game, how they react to situations. None of those things are covered in stats, but they give you a far better idea of a players worth to the team than watching on tv, or reviewing their stats alone.

No statistician has ever said we don't have to observe a player in action, I was merely contesting your view that "eyes don't lie". There are numerous philosophical and psychological studies that prove that our eyes deceive us.

I've not played a Football Manager game in my life.

You seem to be suggesting that stats have no place, which I think is really naive and quite ignorant. I'm glad some of the most prestigious clubs think differently, and can only hope Rangers are making strides towards implementing the same.

I loved that line, it reminded me of Fraser Aird. During his first season, I would always be sympathising with him that he was really unlucky to come up against the fastest player on the opposition side every week as he looks really fast with his running style. After about 6 months the penny dropped that it was only his running "style" that was fast, his actual pace was average!!

I have said before and I still honestly believe that all the players should have a few hours training a week from a sprinting coach. Learning to sprint properly would make a big difference to the speed of the team.