Rangers striker Matthew Shiels handed shock call-up to Ireland under-18 squad

If your mum and dad are Scottish, you should play for Scotland. That's my view.

I have no idea what Shiels' story is, so can't really comment on him specifically. Although anyone choosing to play for Rep of Ireland over Scotland is always disappointing.

He hasn't chosen Republic of Ireland over Scotland, just the same as Euan Deveney, Danny Finlayson and Cammy Palmer didn't choose Northern Ireland over Scotland. Scotland didn't pick these players while the Republic and Northern Ireland did.

He hasn't chosen Republic of Ireland over Scotland, just the same as Euan Deveney, Danny Finlayson and Cammy Palmer didn't choose Northern Ireland over Scotland. Scotland didn't pick these players while the Republic and Northern Ireland did.

I was wondering how much that would be the case - especially when it comes to Bermuda... ;)

He has played for Scotland at youth level though, so you would assume he knows he's in the reckoning. Again though, I don't know enough about this lad or this instance to cast judgement.

He has played for Scotland at youth level though, so you would assume he knows he's in the reckoning. Again though, I don't know enough about this lad or this instance to cast judgement.

Scotland haven't shown any interest recently. Danny Finlayson was in Scotland squads in the past and not 100% sure but possibly Cammy Palmer too.

Some players may have chose to wait, but we are talking about choosing countries with better recent records on the international stage. Obviously Matthew and Danny chose not to hang around waiting on Scotland.

Maybe they think the Scottish youth setup is inferior.