Scotland call ups a 'laughing stock', says Kris Boyd

I'm not convinced Jack should be in the Rangers side far less the Scotland side! I'm pleased for him that he was called up but surprised all the same.

As for Boyd's comments about Shinnie who can disagree with him? Boyd got pelters when he criticised the appointment of Cathro and yet was proved correct. Boyd might yet turn out to be one of the shrewder and braver pundits in our game.

Jack is a very one dimensional footballer. I think he's capable of more (specifically in an attacking sense) and hope he can improve with us.

Boyd...just another pundit who's views I'm not interested in.

You disagree that jack should be in? Or on shinnie?

I was assuming you were giving a remark on Boyd's article as a whole. Obviously, it could well be that he views several star performers of late like the Legoeater, Mulgrew, Berra and Co. as even worse than those now given a chance to shine ...

I doubt that MacKay is handing caps to Aberdeen players because he is playing in Aberdeen and Scotland wants to raise its status. Same with playing Hibs players in Edinburgh. If a player is deemed good enough, he should play. Supporters - not least of rival clubs - will have all sort of opinions on these chaps, but that should not stop reasonable folk from giving reasonable opinions. I can't say that I have seen Shinnie that often, yet know that he's a solid Scottish pro. That he's essentially a loose cannon in games against us of late (with lots of refereeing freedom) is another matter. McLean is equally solid and Jack does an admirable job in DM. Probably in a similar way as Brahim Hemdani, whom few fans would have picked in any of their Rangers sides. I doubt that either of these three will start these games, but maybe Mackay goes the same route as Northern Ireland and Wales, picking solid pros alongside people with a bit of flair.

BTW, given his recent games, I would expect Jason Holt in there in the not too distant future.

I was assuming you were giving a remark on Boyd's article as a whole. Obviously, it could well be that he views several star performers of late like the Legoeater, Mulgrew, Berra and Co. as even worse than those now given a chance to shine ...

I doubt that MacKay is handing caps to Aberdeen players because he is playing in Aberdeen and Scotland wants to raise its status. Same with playing Hibs players in Edinburgh. If a player is deemed good enough, he should play. Supporters - not least of rival clubs - will have all sort of opinions on these chaps, but that should not stop reasonable folk from giving reasonable opinions. I can't say that I have seen Shinnie that often, yet know that he's a solid Scottish pro. That he's essentially a loose cannon in games against us of late (with lots of refereeing freedom) is another matter. McLean is equally solid and Jack does an admirable job in DM. Probably in a similar way as Brahim Hemdani, whom few fans would have picked in any of their Rangers sides. I doubt that either of these three will start these games, but maybe Mackay goes the same route as Northern Ireland and Wales, picking solid pros alongside people with a bit of flair.

BTW, given his recent games, I would expect Jason Holt in there in the not too distant future.

And McCrorie too ;)

Picking a local player for international friendlies being played in the provinces is a tried and tested way of generating interest and boosting the crowd dB, there maybe more than one reason why Germany do better than Scotland at international level!

Why is it our hackles go up whenever someone makes a mild criticism of a Rangers player? Surely no one believes Boyd now has an agenda against Rangers!

I don't know why people are so critical of Boyd, as someone who is actually playing against these guys he's better qualified to comment than pretty much every other pundit. Plus it's refreshing not to hear the usual platitudes and blandness players usually trot put on these occasions. Jack isn't good enough for international football and his record this season for red cards, whether rescinded or not is really poor. It's a fair criticism. Likewise Shinnie, Boyd's point about where will he play is bang on. One thing Scotland is blessed with currently is decent full backs, Shinnie isn't even the 5th best left back in Scotland, it's a nonsense.

What I would say is that if Boyd had criticised McKay for picking Jack at RB, I could accept that. I have never seen him play there and perhaps he is superb, but you have to think that there are players playing in that position week in, week out who should have been considered for the role.

No issue with Boyd saying what he likes. But, quite simply, in this case he's wrong which is why he's being criticised.

Jack has had a fine season so far and whilst his discipline needs to improve, I think his call-up is fairly well deserved given his consistent contribution. Yes, in a couple of games he wasn't all that impressive (namely the Celtic and Motherwell matches) but I think that was as much to do with the poor strategy of the team - not to mention other folk's bad performances as well.

It's still early in his Rangers career so hopefully he's learning from the experiences he's had so far. Playing for Scotland will help in that regard.