Scotland call ups a 'laughing stock', says Kris Boyd

Well because - unlike most other Scottish players - he has held down a regular place in more than one EPL side.

So did Masson, Rioch, Buchan and many others. None of them were any good while playing for Scotland.

I played for 2 junior and one senior team mate.

And my wife could've scored for Rangers with the team mates Boyd had around him.

Top scorer in the SPL or not, if you want to talk about GOOD strikers I could give you at least half a dozen who played for Rangers who were FAR better than Boyd.

This isn't about whether Boyd was the best striker of all time or not, it's about this belief some have that he's not qualified to comment on players playing in the same league as him, that's just bizarre. I'd have thought your opinion on some of the players you played with, and against, when in the Juniors would be better informed and accurate than your views on someone you'd never actually played against, don't you? If you were actually playing in the SPFL just now Boabie then your opinion on current SPFL players would carry more weight on here than most of the rest of us.

As an aside I rate Boyd more for what he did in his spells with Kilmarnock (and is still doing for them) , playing with poorer players and getting far fewer chances than at Rangers.

This isn't about whether Boyd was the best striker of all time or not, it's about this belief some have that he's not qualified to comment on players playing in the same league as him, that's just bizarre. I'd have thought your opinion on some of the players you played with, and against, when in the Juniors would be better informed and accurate than your views on someone you'd never actually played against, don't you? If you were actually playing in the SPFL just now Boabie then your opinion on current SPFL players would carry more weight on here than most of the rest of us.

As an aside I rate Boyd more for what he did in his spells with Kilmarnock (and is still doing for them) , playing with poorer players and getting far fewer chances than at Rangers.

With most players I would agree with you Mac. But imo Boyd is simply to lazy to give his brain a shake and think about what other players are doing around him.

If we were discussing maybe goalkeepers Boyd had played against, again I may have agreed.

He managed a total of only 18 caps while breaking scoring records domestically . That also maybe shows his worth in the eyes of those inside the game.

Hasn't Jack had 4 red cards, didn't he get one in pre-season too? Jack deserves criticism for his red card against Kilmarnock, rescinded or not. He was incredibly naive to get involved with Broadfoot, if he's being out-smarted by big Kirk he's not ready for full international matches.

I have no problem with a player being criticised for the number of times he's been sent off that hasn't been overturned and otherwise for his true discipline record, but Boyd is arguing it's laughable to pick him because he was sent off three times. I respect opinions that are based on the truth, not twisted bullshit. I'm surprised you feel differently.

It's not even just having an opinion based misrepresentation it's putting it out in pubic for the hundreds? of DR readers. What makes it even worse is that this is a fellow professional that he is disparaging with alternative facts.

Which bit do you think is ok?

Is it arrogance to voice the opinion that someone might not be good enough for international football just because that person isn't anymore? Where does that leave you and me then! :laugh:

If we are professional footballers then we shouldn't do it either. As fans it's completely different as you are comparing from the outside. The arrogance comes from the lack of professional courtesy.

The point you're missing is that Boyd has not just disparaged his fellow professionals picked for the squad, but by extension he his disparaging his own team mates and pretty much all players in the league outside of Celtic. If those players are a laughing stock, what does it say about his team-mates?

A fellow professional slagging off currently more successful professionals as a laughing stock seems pretty arrogant to me. Feel free to disagree, but I hope you understand it now. I would never do that to my peers.

Personally, I will never slag off a Scotland squad for a friendly as being a laughing stock for having the best eligible players from the top Scottish sides, unless better players in teams above them in the league, are not being picked. And I will especially not do that in a newspaper.

BTW WRT Broadfoot: I don't see how being a complete arsehole who should be banned from the game is outsmarting someone. A decent referee and discipline panel would have sent him off and banned him for several matches. It's really something that should be treated with zero tolerance.

He's so smart that he will never again be remembered fondly by Rangers fans - most of whom now think he's the lowest of the low - with a lot of worse terms used. I'm also wondering how many times he'll have his feet "accidentally" trod on for the rest of his career.

Boyd can say what he's like to an extent, but we are free to form our own conclusions about him for what he says.

RYAN SHAME: Aberdeen fans who booed Rangers star Ryan Jack on his Scotland debut should hang their heads, says Bill Leckie.

The Gers ace made his international debut at right-back against Holland but there were a minority of fans who jeered his every touch of the ball

By Bill Leckie

IT’S not often that you have good reason to feel ashamed of Scotland supporters.But the ones who booed young Ryan Jack on his international debut at Pittodrie should hang their heads.

Yes, we get it that Aberdeen diehards think he did the dirty on them in the summer by quitting for Rangers.Sure, make those feelings known when the two clubs meet.

Fact is, though, Jack didn’t come back to Pittodrie as a Rangers player.He came as a Scot, one who was taking his first steps onto the biggest stage yet of his career.

For that, he deserved all the backing that the stadium could give him, not to have his confidence smashed from the off.It wasn’t just a few isolated cat-calls, either.

Jack’s name was jeered by thousands when the teams were read out, again the first time he was on the ball and on and on throughout most of a first half when he was playing in front of the packed South Stand.

Imagine how you’d have felt in his shoes — being hated by the very supporters who love to call themselves the fairest and the friendliest on the planet.Would you have wanted team-mates to pass to you?

Sorry, it was a disgraceful reaction and the only positive to come out of it is that, about half an hour in, the sensible ones in the crowd decided enough was enough and started to turn the tide.

The ball went out for a throw and as Jack went over and picked it up, the abuse started once more.Except that this time, it was drowned out by proper fans clapping and cheering him.

A shred of decency at last. It’s just a pity it had taken so long.In the end, it’s to the right-back’s eternal credit that he kept his head up and stuck to the job as well as he did.

He was neat and tidy, linked play well and should definitely get another chance in what’s long been a real problem position for us.

I watched the game and was pleased to see Jack play the full 90mins.

I thought he was pretty effective up against two good Dutch players and did even better as he got to push forward a bit more near the end. All in all, a solid debut showing he's more than capable of playing against international quality players.

The booing at the start was regrettable but it was to his credit the lad didn't allow it to lose his focus and, thankfully, a more sizeable chunk of fans went onto cheer the lad throughout the first half.

I'm totally indifferent to the Scotland team.

But if some Scotland fans act like this then I hope we have as many Rangers players as possible playing for Scotland.

Imagine how awful those fans will feel cheering for our players.

Lets not forget each one will be paying about £30 for the pleasure.

It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. :)

Edited by ranger_syntax

I have no problem with a player being criticised for the number of times he's been sent off that hasn't been overturned and otherwise for his true discipline record, but Boyd is arguing it's laughable to pick him because he was sent off three times. I respect opinions that are based on the truth, not twisted bullshit. I'm surprised you feel differently.

It's not even just having an opinion based misrepresentation it's putting it out in pubic for the hundreds? of DR readers. What makes it even worse is that this is a fellow professional that he is disparaging with alternative facts.

Which bit do you think is ok?

If we are professional footballers then we shouldn't do it either. As fans it's completely different as you are comparing from the outside. The arrogance comes from the lack of professional courtesy.

The point you're missing is that Boyd has not just disparaged his fellow professionals picked for the squad, but by extension he his disparaging his own team mates and pretty much all players in the league outside of Celtic. If those players are a laughing stock, what does it say about his team-mates?

A fellow professional slagging off currently more successful professionals as a laughing stock seems pretty arrogant to me. Feel free to disagree, but I hope you understand it now. I would never do that to my peers.

Personally, I will never slag off a Scotland squad for a friendly as being a laughing stock for having the best eligible players from the top Scottish sides, unless better players in teams above them in the league, are not being picked. And I will especially not do that in a newspaper.

BTW WRT Broadfoot: I don't see how being a complete arsehole who should be banned from the game is outsmarting someone. A decent referee and discipline panel would have sent him off and banned him for several matches. It's really something that should be treated with zero tolerance.

He's so smart that he will never again be remembered fondly by Rangers fans - most of whom now think he's the lowest of the low - with a lot of worse terms used. I'm also wondering how many times he'll have his feet "accidentally" trod on for the rest of his career.

Boyd can say what he's like to an extent, but we are free to form our own conclusions about him for what he says.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.