Dearer booze

Then your mistaken and your ideology is flawed. The SNP employ experts that agree with their policies and assist facilitating them in power. As for insulting, I find it amusing that you feel emboldened to profess enlightenment on my field of expertise. Addictions. What would I know eh?

The price of something has zero bearing on whether someone will use or not. If it did, there would not be hundreds sleeping on the streets of Glasgow City Centre every night. That being another fact that the media and news outlets don’t seem to want to highlight? It has increased ten fold since the SNP were elected.

You’re an expert? Certainly not on economics with that statement.

I think the point is that they might not become alcoholics in the first place if they can't get blootered all the time for not much money.

I'm not an expert but in respect of the alcoholics I know (from poorly paid office workers to company owners), the price of alcohol wouldn't have prevented them from becoming addicts.

Edited by Bluedell

I'm not an expert but in respect of the alcoholics I know (from poorly paid office workers to company owners), the price of alcohol wouldn't have prevented them from becoming addicts.

Fair enough, I'm not an expert on it either, I was just clearing up a misunderstanding of someone's point. I don't agree or disagree with it as I don't know enough.

I’m no expert either but I don’t see how you can make that claim. Unless your saying that you knew them since they were kids and all suffer some physiological problem that made them drink. Surely if we stop youngsters from drinking to excess it will lead to less of them not having a problem later on in life, there will always be alcoholics though.

I’m no expert either but I don’t see how you can make that claim. Unless your saying that you knew them since they were kids and all suffer some physiological problem that made them drink. Surely if we stop youngsters from drinking to excess it will lead to less of them not having a problem later on in life, there will always be alcoholics though.

It could be suggested that "stopping youngsters from drinking to excess" would actually lead to them becoming rebellious and binge-drinking because they haven't been allowed to make their own decisions.

What makes you sure of that?

1. Just listening to the experts on various programmes on TV.

2. Seeing youngsters starting to drink cheap cider at 14 and being hooked by the end of their teens. We have all seen youngsters like that either at school or at work.

I think that a moderate attitude to drink at an early age will prevent them developing a binge attitude later. But there will always be exceptions and always alcoholics.

1. Just listening to the experts on various programmes on TV.

2. Seeing youngsters starting to drink cheap cider at 14 and being hooked by the end of their teens. We have all seen youngsters like that either at school or at work.

I think that a moderate attitude to drink at an early age will prevent them developing a binge attitude later. But there will always be exceptions and always alcoholics.

I know that as a youngster I could never get away with drinking because everyone in the village knew my Dad and would tell him I had been drinking... and I knew not to incur his wrath by doing so.... The end result of that, for me at least, was that when I was of age me and my friends partook in Friday and/or Saturday night binge-drinking. Not healthy, not good, and can easily become a never-ending cycle (for one of my friends it literally was - despite being told 2 years ago he needed to stop drinking he simply couldn't, or didn't want to, not sure which and he lost his life last year at 45 - so young and so sad).

With my son we have been giving him small shot glasses of wine with dinner every now and then - perhaps 4 times a year - and thankfully he doesn't even enjoy the taste. He does have a shandy every now and then but that is a very small amount of gluten free beer and a LOT of lemonade.

Our way of thinking is that the French seem to have this attitude to drink and, AFAIK, they don't have quite the same issues we Brits do with alcoholism, though I am sure they do still have their issues.

The wife and I just know that complete abstinence until 18 didn't help us one little bit - so we are trying something "different" with our son in the hopes it works. Right now he is completely obsessed with his fitness and trying to get a 6-pack so hopefully that remains over the duration - but you can never say never :(