[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers (Wilson 14; Windass 63)

This week I was really surprised about how the Rangers AGM(Annual General Meeting) was approached by some of the supporters. Some were pleading for entry tickets to see what they thought would be the AGM to beat all AGM's. Now I don't know if it is the cynic in me but my opinion of AGM's is that they end up with a lot of boring cods-wollop and speeches that most politicians would be proud of. Questions that are thought to be gut wrenching questions are simply danced around with the nimbleness of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Dave king and Stewart Robertson performed the Danza de los Viejitos which translated from Mexican to English, is the dance of the little old men. What apt!

Things could have been a lot more uncomfortable for Mr King and Mr Robertson though if there had not been an AGM on the previous evening. With that I don't mean Annual General meeting but: Aberdeen Getting Mauled. That was the real shock. After the two previous defeats against Hamilton and Dundee, both lodged in the bottom half of the league, the Rangers players put in a super display. In all the prediction leagues most Rangers fans had forecast a Rangers win but these were made more out of loyalty than really believing that Rangers would hammer Aberdeen.

Graeme Mutry had made a few changes with Bruno Alves returning to the central defence and carlos Pena coming in to an attacking midfield role. In the absence of Alfredo Morelos Kenny Miller moved into the main striker role.

Looking at the team with Alves McCrorie and Wilson it looked like Rangers were setting up for a three man central defence. I am sure Aberdeen also set up for that scenario. Surprisingly Ross McCrorie had moved forward into the defensive midfield role. What a game he had in that position. An old head on young shoulders.

Rangers dominated the play. Those players that looked like whimps in the last two games were all of a sudden bullies. They won almost every second ball. This Rangers team had turned into an Aberdeen Gubbing Machine. Even Carlos Pena made a fifty yard chase to catch an Aberdeen player. I will admit that he didn't quite make it and it was Ross McCrorie who sprinted past him as if he was standing still that made the challenge. What it did though was kill all the rumours, or is it myth, that he could not run five yards without grabbing a Corona beer and a Tequila Sunrise. Pena played brilliant in the first half but after the break it was obvious he was starting to struggle. Rangers won 3-0 and were totally dominant and that was a shock to most of us.

On Sunday we have to go to Pittodrie to play Aberdeen again. Wednesday's game was a rearranged fixture due to both teams playing in the league cup semi-final. What does Murty do? Does he go with the same shape or does he try and pull another surprise? Derek McInnes has now had time to analyse the game and reshape his team to suit the purpose.Aberdeen will also be out for revenge. Personally I would not change things as I think we have a strong defence and McCrorie Jack and Holt make a pretty strong midfield. In saying that if Morlos is fit I would play him instead of Kenny Miller.

Under Mark Warburton the famous saying was “play plan A better” My advice to Graeme Mutry would be “play plan B” the same. Hopefully we will go out and show the same fight. Show the same confidence on and off the ball. Play as a team that looks like they are all pulling in the same direction. Then Just Win.

I think the team will be the same as Wednesday unless Morelos is fit.

Foderingham

Tavernier Alves Wilson John.

McCrorie

Holt Jack Windass

Pena

Morelos\Miller

All rumours are that Derek McInnes will join us next week. That is a crazy situation. If there is a minuscule bit of truth in that then it really is crazy Aberdeen are keeping him in his position. I hope they are on blow up and we are on blow them up. I would say more of the same please.

Edited by pete

It'd be fun to beat the sheep twice and take their manager within the space of a week.

IF we get a second win, there would be a good argument to suggest that the long managment chase and ensuing speculation has produced a net gain.

To be "fair", Aberdeen haven't been firing on all cylinders of late, as results have shown. A manager is only "as good" as his players on the park. After Hmailton and Dundee, check what the cries for Murty's head were. After Ibrox last Wednesday, the cries were rather different. At the end of the day though, we failed to convert half a dozen 100% chances vs Accies, did not turn up on the park at Dens but did so at Ibrox. Essentially with the very same players. Judging a manager's abilities on that is ... well.

On Sunday, it will be down to the players to call up another attitude and performance like they did at home against the Sheep. Hate and abuse will rain down on them from 3 corners of the ground and rest assured, the Dons will fly into any tackle to wipe that defeat from memory. It IS down to the players and a good refereeing performance ... more than any influence Murty will have.

Taking nothing away from Wednesday nights game, as i thought it was superb performance from us, but it looks like the players knew they were playing in front their new boos. Suppose that could have been a motivational issue?

AGM's are rarely more than set pieces, King and CO are having a extended honeymoon period so getting a lot of latitude atm. Obviously the management issues, Pedro and his replacement are a bone of contention, but i was glossed over with a nod and a wink.

IF the Mccinness rumours are true I agree that Aberdeen are nuts to keep him in position for Sunday. Surely there'll be a little thought creeping into his head saying 'A loss for Sunday Derek will make Monday Derek very happy!

Oddschecker has slashed it to as low as 1/25. Im not so sure for some reason. It will have an impact on the game which means a Pittodrie away day could be enjoyable once again (i had many of them growing up). We went there last season and won 3-0 so no reason why we cant win again.

It just makes the Hamilton and Dundee results all the more frustrating, 3 points from one of those would be in a much better league position. Celtic can remain undefeated but they can have all the draws in the world like Motherwell they like, 2 dropped from them is big.