The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

9 minutes ago, ascender said:

I'll be honest, i've totally forgotten what Naismith said exactly about the Club being dead, but I understand some haven't - can you remind me what he said and when?

We've a threadbare squad and even if he's not as good as he was when he left, I would put money on him being an upgrade on who we do have and could maybe be just the sort of link-up player Morelos would thrive on - especially as with Murphy we should now have better service from the left to compliment Candeias' efforts from the right.

He's not going to play for free but it would appear Norwich are happy to pay for some (or all) of his wages as presumably he's not part of their long term plans. And if Naismith has been sensible with his money, wants to come back to Scotland, its not a big leap to assume he's not going to be wanting top dollar wages from his next deal.

Given where we are, I just don't see a downside to this one but can understand why people hold his comments against him (genuinely can't remember what they were).

Mike, he's earned a whole lot more over his career than Kevin Thomson and I know for fact that KT played for free in both his 2nd and 3rd stints at Hibs - so I suspect that Naismith has plenty set aside for a "rainy day".  Plus, he comes across as being a sensible, level-headed, balanced person - so I would hope he hasn't squandered his wealth on ridiculous car licence plates :D

20 minutes ago, Barrheadboy said:

Gonzo I believe that last guy that didn’t make a mistake in life got crucified,ever since we have all made mistakes.

Yes what Naisy did was regrettable but surely everyone in life is allowed at least one mistake?

We are surely not so intransigent in our views,or so perfect in everything we have ever done that we cannot give someone a second chance ?

What we as a club did to Scot Simon was probably even worse than what Naisy did,and we all forgave the club for its appalling treatment meted out to a man that had dedicated half his life to Rangers.

Let ya be open minded and if it does happen and he pulls on tha5 sacred jersey let us all get behind him without any rancour.

I think you got that wrong mate it was Adam eating that F'n apple that has caused all our transgressions.:D

Here's the quotes from Naismith:

“This is a new company called Sevco. I’ve never met Mr Green or anyone from Sevco. I don’t know who the investors are or what league they’ll be in. So how can I push forward into a new company that I don’t know anything about or any person involved in it?

“I have concerns about who is in charge of the new club, definitely. You need to know what business you’re going to be part of. If you don’t, it’s inevitable there will be problems.

“The loyalty I had was with Rangers. I’ve never met anyone from Sevco since it’s been formed. And I don’t think I could have moved forward on those terms.

“Will I ever come back and support the new club? I haven’t thought about it. Like a lot of Rangers fans, I’m just thinking short-term rather than long-term.

Feel free to forgive him.  I won't. 

It would be intriguing to get Naismith free of transfer and signing-on fees, and for expenses, rather than wages.

I am rarely, if ever, in favour of 'bringing them back', but in this case I might make an exception, if only for the explosion that his return, on terms so advantageous to the Club, would precipaitate at catamite fc, and among its supporters, fellow travellers, acolytes across the 

media, and other initiates into its spurious cult of sporting integrity ( a moveable feast, if ever I have seen one).

i imagine that, even now, hand penned missives, in -naturally- geen ink, and on paper salvaged from the back of sugar bags, will be flying to FIFA, UEFA , SFA, and SPFL, all imploring a full investigation into Naismith's contract, examination of any 'side letter or letters', and declaring that only a determination that his arrangements with the Club are against the governing regulations, and the Laws, and the 'Spirit' of football,  contravene the Holy Gospel, and subvert any form of justice, spiritual, natural, or temporal, will be sufficient to assuage the righteous anger of the ordinary football supporter in the street, which person, of course they represent.

The more lucid among them will be scouring the highways, byways, and backwaters of the Employment Law, and the minutiae of Player Registration requirements, together with the Law, Regulations, precedents, interpretations, and footnotes, of Taxation, Personal and Corporate, to find some construction, no matter how irrelevant, to prove that 'The Ranjurs' ur 'at it', and 'at it bigtime'. 

So, "Bring it on!", says I, "I could do with a laugh".

1 hour ago, Barrheadboy said:

Gonzo I believe that last guy that didn’t make a mistake in life got crucified,ever since we have all made mistakes.

Yes what Naisy did was regrettable but surely everyone in life is allowed at least one mistake?

We are surely not so intransigent in our views,or so perfect in everything we have ever done that we cannot give someone a second chance ?

What we as a club did to Scot Simon was probably even worse than what Naisy did,and we all forgave the club for its appalling treatment meted out to a man that had dedicated half his life to Rangers.

Let ya be open minded and if it does happen and he pulls on tha5 sacred jersey let us all get behind him without any rancour.

Symon. His name was James Scotland Symon.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

“This is a new company called Sevco. I’ve never met Mr Green or anyone from Sevco. I don’t know who the investors are or what league they’ll be in. So how can I push forward into a new company that I don’t know anything about or any person involved in it?

“I have concerns about who is in charge of the new club, definitely. You need to know what business you’re going to be part of. If you don’t, it’s inevitable there will be problems.

“The loyalty I had was with Rangers. I’ve never met anyone from Sevco since it’s been formed. And I don’t think I could have moved forward on those terms.

“Will I ever come back and support the new club? I haven’t thought about it. Like a lot of Rangers fans, I’m just thinking short-term rather than long-term.

It's a social weakness, this current fashion of rushing to forgive, as if it somehow makes us better people to ignore the misdeeds of others. Naismith panicked and treated the club and its fans like so much shit on his shoe. So fuck him and his latter day conversion. Like other fans, I've been through a storm of shit and disappointment these last six years, too much to suddenly open arms to a deserter like Naismith. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I can see why people would have an issue with that bit in bold, but the rest all sounds fair enough from someone who is wondering what's going on and where the next pay cheque is coming from. How old was he at the time, 26? I'm not sure I'd hold that against him, it was maybe naive at best, but do you genuinely think he meant that?

14 minutes ago, ascender said:

I can see why people would have an issue with that bit in bold, but the rest all sounds fair enough from someone who is wondering what's going on and where the next pay cheque is coming from. How old was he at the time, 26? I'm not sure I'd hold that against him, it was maybe naive at best, but do you genuinely think he meant that?

There was a lot of uncertainty at the time.  And as much as it hurt to see someone we lauded say such things, I can at least put myself in their shoes and appreciate why they had doubts or were confused.

That said, to come out and do that press conference was poor judgement and I think they were badly advised.   If he does come back, I think he would do well do apologise and should he do that, hopefully we might put this to bed and enjoy watching him pull on the light blue shirt again

5 minutes ago, stewarty said:

There was a lot of uncertainty at the time.  And as much as it hurt to see someone we lauded say such things, I can at least put myself in their shoes and appreciate why they had doubts or were confused.

That said, to come out and do that press conference was poor judgement and I think they were badly advised.   If he does come back, I think he would do well do apologise and should he do that, hopefully we might put this to bed and enjoy watching him pull on the light blue shirt again

I think he has already apologised but I could be wrong.