The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

I fear that naisy playing for another Scottish team could well come back to haunt us.

Yes he might not have quite the same level of bite he had 5 years ago, but at 31 there's no doubt in my mind that with a run of games under his belt and some confidence flowing, he will be a very effective player at SPFL level.

If he's prepared to play for free effectively, it really is in the no-brainer category in my opinion.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

I fear that naisy playing for another Scottish team could well come back to haunt us.

Yes he might not have quite the same level of bite he had 5 years ago, but at 31 there's no doubt in my mind that with a run of games under his belt and some confidence flowing, he will be a very effective player at SPFL level.

If he's prepared to play for free effectively, it really is in the no-brainer category in my opinion.

I don’t know, we have seen a couple of ex players score against us this season but ultimately they should have been in the pocket of our defence. I’m not worried about Naismith. We should look at players with value and he is another probable Miller type that we can do without. Murphy, Dorrans, Wilson, Jack, and Jimmy Nicholl are all aware of how Rangers should operate and they should be able to pass it on to the new lads. 

Let Naismith go to Hearts, I say. I’d love to see him and Lafferty rip the scum to bits. 

I think Naismith is the type of player that would do very well if he signed for Hearts.

If it is true that there would be little or no outlay for what would be a 6 month loan, then I really can't understand why we wouldn't be very interested.

We've taken so many gambles with our signing policy over the past couple of years,...why would we refuse what would seem to amount to a 'free spin'.

Naismith was a great player for us in the past but clearly seems to be past his best now.

For free perhaps he'd be a clever signing until the end of the season but as much as I'd fancy most will forgive him for his 2012 actions, many will not so I don't see the point of making a temporary loan signing which will divide supporters (and perhaps even the dressing room).

We've signed Murphy and are, IMO, likely to sign Docherty and hopefully Jones.  If we can also add Cummings then it will have been a very good window so we don't need Naismith.

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Naismith was a great player for us in the past but clearly seems to be past his best now.

For free perhaps he'd be a clever signing until the end of the season but as much as I'd fancy most will forgive him for his 2012 actions, many will not so I don't see the point of making a temporary loan signing which will divide supporters (and perhaps even the dressing room).

We've signed Murphy and are, IMO, likely to sign Docherty and hopefully Jones.  If we can also add Cummings then it will have been a very good window so we don't need Naismith.

Therein lys the key.

If we can finance moves for better alternatives (at least age profile etc) then fine. Go the progressive, think of the future, longer-term route .

If we end up not being able to get deals over the line because of cashflow issues, then Naismith is a no-brainer, or would have been because he'll probably be somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'm inclined to agree regarding Naismith. I really hope we do sign Docherty and if we could get Cummings on loan that would be excellent. However, I haven't seen enough of Jones to pass judgement - okay he played well against us but so did O'Halloran and it hasn't worked out for him (yet).

When i say that I'm worried, I don't actually mean that I'm worried and I'm inclined to evaluate the state of the squad at the end of the window rather than fixate on any one signing.

What I will say though is, if he does go to another SPFL team and he does give us a sore one or two, I think we will look very silly for not signing him.

We are making assumptions that he is past it, but for a free hit till the end of the season, I don't think it would be a gamble to see how he goes.  

One of the things that may go against him though is the number of loan signings.  Am I right in saying we can only have 4 at any one time?  If so, with Dalcio, Goss, and Murphy already on the books; and with Russell Martin being lined up as a potential loan signing should one or more of the likes of Alves and Cardoso move on, we wont have the option to bring him in on loan and its possibly a moot point.  And to be honest, if Alves or Cardoso did move on, that would be the priority position to reinforce.

8 minutes ago, stewarty said:

When i say that I'm worried, I don't actually mean that I'm worried and I'm inclined to evaluate the state of the squad at the end of the window rather than fixate on any one signing.

What I will say though is, if he does go to another SPFL team and he does give us a sore one or two, I think we will look very silly for not signing him.

We are making assumptions that he is past it, but for a free hit till the end of the season, I don't think it would be a gamble to see how he goes.  

One of the things that may go against him though is the number of loan signings.  Am I right in saying we can only have 4 at any one time?  If so, with Dalcio, Goss, and Murphy already on the books; and with Russell Martin being lined up as a potential loan signing should one or more of the likes of Alves and Cardoso move on, we wont have the option to bring him in on loan and its possibly a moot point.  And to be honest, if Alves or Cardoso did move on, that would be the priority position to reinforce.

Good point re. loan restrictions.

I'd forgotten Dalcio but would think (or rather hope) that we might be able to somehow cancel his loan. I would also hope it isn't costing that much in relative terms.