The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

No link just yet, but who knows ...

Former Rangers defender Alan Hutton set to leave Aston Villa as club can't afford to offer him a new deal

The Scotland right-back is a key player for Steve Bruce's side but the club can't afford to offer him a new deal.

Alan Hutton looks set to leave Aston Villa after not being offered a new contract because of the Birmingham club's financial problems.

The former Rangers and Scotland right back is a key player for Steve Bruce's side and is out of contract in the summer.

But Bruce has revealed they cannot offer the 33-year-old a new deal because of their battle to get within Financial Fair Play rules - unless they win promotion back to the Premier League .

He said: "I had to be honest with Alan and told him at this stage we’re not in a position to offer anybody a new contract.

"The way the situation with the club is in finances and Financial Fair Play and I think we all need to know where we are, whether we’re in the Championship or we’re in the Premier League - if we’re in the Championship we’ll have to cut, it’s as straightforward as that.

"I’ve spoken to the people above me and we’re not in a position to offer anybody a new contract just yet. Alan Hutton has been in a situation where I’ve been here for 15 months and he’s done terrifically well. But we’ll have to look after the club and sometimes my job is to look after the club too.

"Let’s see where we are and see what happens. It’s not the end of the world for Alan Hutton because I’ve no doubt there will be takers from what we’re seeing at the moment. For a 33-year-old, it’s quite remarkable his fitness levels and what he trains like every day.

"He knows what I think of him, but at this situation in time we’re not in a position to go forward with any of them."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-rangers-defender-alan-hutton-11972494

Inevitable we'll be linked and he'd certainly be a better option than Hodson.

However, I'd be looking for a younger player.

PS: I'm going to close this thread now - feel free to open new ones for indivudual rumours until the summer.  :)