The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 02:55, baxterboy said:

What I said may not be true to Craig, just as what Craig says may not, as in this case, be true to me.

Secondly, Selmy made statements about the quality of Rangers players compared to Savco which were extremely negative about those Rangers' players. I strongly disagreed with them and, as a Rangers supporter, I defend Rangers players whether it's you or Selmy criticizing them, and I will do it, as I did, respectfully without resorting to personal abuse.

Since you brought up the topic of tinted specs, your post shows, like the Savco Scottish media and Selmy, a distinct shade of green.

To base your argument that those new Rangers' players are inferior to Savco players because they haven't played for Rangers is absolute rubbish. 

My assessments of the new Rangers players was based on what I have seen them do on the park. You, on the other hand, argue that they are inferior to the Savco players simply because they haven't actually played for Rangers yet -  by your argument, if we signed Messi he'd be not as good as Sinclair because he hasn't played for us yet - ludicrous logic!

Making the argument that Griffiths is superior to Cummings because he has a Scotland cap is also nonsense for the simple reason that for years now Savco players have not been selected on merit but because Savco control the SFA, and their ex-manager controlled selection.

Considering that I hold personal abuse of members on forums, abuse of Rangers players and racism reprehensible, I resent your insinuation that I have been indecent and disrespectful. As far as Griffiths goes, he has exhibited acts of insanity  - such as tying a Savco scarf on a Rangers goalpost during an Old Firm game at Ibrox - which could have led to a riot and serious injury or even death, as proof of retardation. In the sixties, he would have been dead for doing that at Ibrox. Griffith's acts, comments, and his personal life are clear proofs of, using the politically correct term - the mentally challenged. 

Disagreement on forums is status quo and I look forward to the battles but when an administrator wrongly accuses a member of being disrespectful and insinuates he is indecent, as you have, then it's a clear abuse of power which, if unchecked, is a place I've no interest in.   

I should have used the word "unproven" rather than "untrue".  My apologies for that - was at work and rushing and, in doing so, used a word which clearly wasn't appropriate in the context.

However, I wont be apologizing for anything else within the post.  Crying foul over allegations of being indecent and disrespectful will get you nowhere with me.  I wasn't insinuating anything - I was flat out saying you were being disrespectful.  Until and unless you have evidence that Griffiths is a "mongoloid" or a "retard" then, again, I will ask you to refrain from such language.  His wrapping a scarf around a post, as was pointed out to you, was a wind up - incendiary yes but no signs of either retardation or being a mongoloid.  So refrain.  Also, the use of the word "taig" simply wont be tolerated here - if you don't like the suppression of free speech, fair enough - however, the use of such words IS against forum rules and we will ban you for its use.

Indeed, the only insinuation being made in these posts is coming from you when you talk about SBS and I having "green tinted specs" as if we are closet Celtic fans.

Shouting "abuse of power" doesn't make it so - particularly when it is obvious that you WERE being indecent and disrespectful.

If you wish to continue on the forum, great.  If you believe I am exhibiting an abuse of power then feel free to go to one of the other Rangers forums.  You will, however, be more likely to find them wielding their power more often than we do here - we rarely ban anyone and, indeed, the need for moderation is low.  You are a new member and leeway is obviously given.  However, you would do well to get to grips with the need, on this forum, to be respectful to each other and to not use incendiary terms for people you don't like.

I wonder what fee we would get for Alves? With 18 months left on his deal, a full Portugal internationalist with a stellar career, almost certainly going to the World Cup with one of the favourites to win it.

We were very lucky to get him on a Bosman, but that doesnt mean he is not worth a transfer fee now. Given his age the fee will not be what it could have been some years ago, but surely around £500K must be the minimum we should look at.

If we let him go for nothing it will be a terrible piece of business. We cannot continue to undervalue our good players, and even our not so good players.

9 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I wonder what fee we would get for Alves? With 18 months left on his deal, a full Portugal internationalist with a stellar career, almost certainly going to the World Cup with one of the favourites to win it.

We were very lucky to get him on a Bosman, but that doesnt mean he is not worth a transfer fee now. Given his age the fee will not be what it could have been some years ago, but surely around £500K must be the minimum we should look at.

If we let him go for nothing it will be a terrible piece of business. We cannot continue to undervalue our good players, and even our not so good players.

I think if we can any sort of fee its a bonus.  For me the aim is to get him off the wage bill.   He just hasn't had the impact we hoped and if we have an "out" at this point I don't image we'd be hard to deal with.

9 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I don't think the club would do much to stand in his way. 

They could push for £1m+, if they really wanted to....I'm sure Bruno's reputation spreads far & wide and could still command that level of fee regardless of his age.  However, the number of clubs willing to pay that would decrease.

Realistically £500-£750k would be a decent return.

4 hours ago, stewarty said:

I think if we can any sort of fee its a bonus.  For me the aim is to get him off the wage bill.   He just hasn't had the impact we hoped and if we have an "out" at this point I don't image we'd be hard to deal with.

This is the problem I think we have with our players. If someone isnt playing out their skin we think there is no value to them. Not getting at you personally Stewarty, its a common problem amongst our support and one we need to really work on collectively. 

We have fans who wanted us to pay £1M for Walker of Hearts, who has done pretty much nothing to date, but are happy to get a full international who still has a few good years in him "off the wage bill". It's madness. Alves might not have been at his career best, but our whole team was a shambles from back to front under Pedro, and we are struggling on with a youth coach in charge. He has had probably 4 or 5 different partners so far (Wilson x 2, McCrorie, Bates, Cardoso) and has been struggling with niggly injuries, so not exactly the best environment to get the best out of him so far.

We have to start talking our players up with significant numbers for fees in all the papers and radio/tv, otherwise we will continue to get next to nothing for players who might not be worth much to us, but certainly will be worth a lot to a future club's chances of winning titles/staying up/promotion etc. 

4 hours ago, Darthter said:

I don't think the club would do much to stand in his way. 

They could push for £1m+, if they really wanted to....I'm sure Bruno's reputation spreads far & wide and could still command that level of fee regardless of his age.  However, the number of clubs willing to pay that would decrease.

Realistically £500-£750k would be a decent return.

Thats my problem, our club never does much to stand in the way of our players leaving on the cheap.

At least we seem to have changed from the days where we actually paid off a contract for a player who had another club lined up (signed the same day) but wasnt in our plans. A player we had brought through our youth system, had played dozens of times for us, including in Europe, and was still in mid-20's. Instead of getting a fee for him, or at worst ripping up his contract, we actually paid him to leave. I will never get over that as long as I breathe.

26 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

This is the problem I think we have with our players. If someone isnt playing out their skin we think there is no value to them. Not getting at you personally Stewarty, its a common problem amongst our support and one we need to really work on collectively. 

We have fans who wanted us to pay £1M for Walker of Hearts, who has done pretty much nothing to date, but are happy to get a full international who still has a few good years in him "off the wage bill". It's madness. Alves might not have been at his career best, but our whole team was a shambles from back to front under Pedro, and we are struggling on with a youth coach in charge. He has had probably 4 or 5 different partners so far (Wilson x 2, McCrorie, Bates, Cardoso) and has been struggling with niggly injuries, so not exactly the best environment to get the best out of him so far.

We have to start talking our players up with significant numbers for fees in all the papers and radio/tv, otherwise we will continue to get next to nothing for players who might not be worth much to us, but certainly will be worth a lot to a future club's chances of winning titles/staying up/promotion etc. 

This relies on the press being even-handed though.  Look at the cynical abuse Pedro got from the likes of Sutton when he said he had the best squad.

Talking up the amounts is one thing, but when the media attempt to belittle the amounts quotes as being ridiculous or excessive the narrative can have the opposite from the intended effect.