The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

Not only do Accies badly need the money they need to follow through with this because this is an instance where the boy who is a Rangers fan really would be unsettled if it didn't come to pass. I was also thinking that to seal the deal if Rossiter really is up and running Hamilton would be an ideal place for a loan till the end of the season.

He may struggle to get into our team to build essential match fitness while at Accies he would be an automatic first 11 pick. They get a replacement midfielder while they adjust to the loss of Docherty and we get a player back in the Summer fully fit. 

From the Herald.

GRAEME Murty said last night that his third triumph against Derek McInnes and Aberdeen in the space of eight weeks proved that Rangers are a match for any team in the Ladbrokes Premiership on their day, as the club agreed a £670,000 deal with Hamilton Accies which will make midfielder Greg Docherty the fifth signing of the January transfer window.

The 21-year-old midfielder, who is in line to make his debut against Ross County on Sunday assuming a medical and all other formalities are sorted out today, joins loan signings Russell Martin, Sean Goss, Jamie Murphy and Jason Cummings in the Ibrox squad and the enhanced strength of this unit was much in evidence yesterday as this 2-0 win saw the one-time interim manager complete a personal hat-trick against McInnes, the man who it was once assumed he was only keeping a seat warm for. While the Ibrox side's winter refurbishment may not be done just yet, they leapfrog Aberdeen into second and Murty said that Docherty was precisely the kind of young hungry player he was looking to add to his squad. Last night’s goalscorer Alfredo Morelos, who appeared in a TV show in his homeland Colombia to speak of his hopes of moving to the Barclays Premier League this summer, was another example

“It shows that, in the big games, we have a top level that is the match for the best in this league,” said Murty, who singled out goalkeeper Wes Foderingham for praise for a string of saves, many of which came after the Dons were two goals in arrears. “We have to be that good every day. Every team has to face that Rangers – not a Rangers who are off it. We need to show that will to win, that character and that ability.

“As good as it was, we will get better," he added. "The players we have in the building are pushing us to be better. That’s really exciting for me and should be exciting for Rangers fans. We’re at the start of what could be a very satisfying journey.

“Unless someone walks in with a barrowload of cash – and a big barrowload – he [Morelos] will be a Rangers player. But I want players who have aspirations to be in a better place. Hopefully we can get better at Rangers but the big prize is to play in the Premier League. If we have someone good enough to go there, it’s fantastic for us. Hopefully [Docherty] another bit of business for another young hungry player desperate to enhance our group.”

“Greg is now in the hands of Rangers,” Hamilton chairman Ronnie MacDonald had said earlier in the day. "The financial agreement has been signed by both clubs, so it's up to Rangers to contact him and arrange a medical. Rangers have acted really well on this. The finishing line has been far away at times, but we got there.”

A downbeat Derek McInnes, who saw his goalkeeper Joe Lewis carted off to hospital after conceding the clinching penalty for a foul on Josh Windass, refused to give up on second position and said that yesterday's granting of planning permission for the club’s new stadium was a potential game changer. “I’m not going to jump through hoops about that [three straight losses to Rangers], am I?" said McInnes. "We’ve lost a game. We’re always capable of going on good runs. Rangers were the clear favourites for second spot at the start of the season. We fell short of what we’re capable of. If we reach the levels we can, which we do most weeks, we can still finish second. We go back and work. There is a potential serious injury there [Lewis]. We just have to be hopeful and let the experts do the job.”

Edited by BEARGER

13 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Last night’s goalscorer Alfredo Morelos, who appeared in a TV show in his homeland Colombia to speak of his hopes of moving to the Barclays Premier League this summer.

“Unless someone walks in with a barrowload of cash – and a big barrowload – he [Morelos] will be a Rangers player. But I want players who have aspirations to be in a better place. Hopefully we can get better at Rangers but the big prize is to play in the Premier League.

That part stood out for me. I don't begrudge him an aspiration to play in a bigger league, which young guy wouldn't want to?  And if we can get "a barrowload of cash – and a big barrowload" for him he can leave with my thanks for his contribution both in goals and our finances.

Hopefully Cummings develops into a ready made replacement and we then use a chunk of the barrowload to find another Morelos.