In the SNP's land of unicorns and rainbows, I'd expect them to go above and beyond just "absolute necessities".

Mind you, it's probably all "Westmonster's fault" and we'll all be kitted out with whatever we need when Brussels is our master.

I'm not disputing you Rab, but is a brace an elective choice or an absolute necessity?

That's the only reason I can see for them to charge you.

It was agreed between our dentist & the orthodontist it was necessary. When we applied for funding it got rejected. Had we been on benefits I'm sure we'd have got it free of charge.

Let me assure you I had to.

NHS funding was refused even after an appeal.

Check-ups & subsequent treatment may be free but this is over and above that. Even took it to our local MSP ( who's SNP) and was totally useless. He's Derek MacKay so that probably explains a lot.

My grandson, aged 14 got a brace last week and it was free. Both his parents work earning far more than I do. They aren't poor by any description.

Cosmetic treatment not considered necessary for a child is the only treatment anyone should pay for in Scotland.

I'm surprised that your dentists opinion wasn't taken into account. I spoke to my neighbour who is a dentist and she is very very surprised at your post.

My grandson, aged 14 got a brace last week and it was free. Both his parents work earning far more than I do. They aren't poor by any description.

Cosmetic treatment not considered necessary for a child is the only treatment anyone should pay for in Scotland.

I'm surprised that your dentists opinion wasn't taken into account. I spoke to my neighbour who is a dentist and she is very very surprised at your post.

I can assure you my post is 100 percent true

I can assure you my post is 100 percent true

It looks like some people are determined to keep offering you alternative anecdotes in the hope you'll suddenly break down and confess to deliberately misleading us about the wonderful free world of the Scottish NHS. However, as someone who was advised by my dentist to undergo treatment and then had to fork out nearly £3000 for four crowns, I'm rather inclined to believe every word you say.

I also pay more council tax than seems reasonable for someone whose street is never gritted, who doesn't have a mains sewage connection, who had to pay to have mains gas installed, whose bins get emptied once a fortnight and whose neighbours have to organise their own regular litter-picks. Life in the utopia of free-Scotland is going to be even better in a few years time as both local and national taxes are raised through the roof ... I can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

The only freedom I want is for the state to butt out of our lives and allow us to pay for the services we actually ask for and receive. It has fuck all to do with the council how big of small our houses are or how big or small our gardens are. The entire council tax shambles is a rip off and the recent SNP budget offers a preview into a world of pain and exploitation ahead.