Well done you, you're stumbled upon the impossibility of an independent Scotland's relationship with the EU.

You just don’t understand the position on the Euro. Nothing more I can say to explain it. I voted leave btw.

You just don’t understand the position on the Euro. Nothing more I can say to explain it. I voted leave btw.

Back to Brexit again. I guess it's considered safer ground than risking explaining the position on the Euro.

Well worth a wee bit extra tax to get in return, e.g. free prescriptions, university fees, personal care,

Except they aren't free. They can't be. Governments can only use income they generate to be able to provide such "free" services and how do they generate the income ? In taxes.

No such thing as free. It is ridiculous how often we use the word and ignore that it is OUR taxes that pay for all of these "free" things. Maybe it is just me but I much prefer means-tested taxes and things like prescriptions etc should be paid for, depending, as I say, on your means. If I had a million quid in the bank I am not sure I should get free prescriptions the same as someone who has nothing - some may say "but you have paid your taxes" and that is fair enough but means-testing would surely be a fairer system - so long as, obviously, people don't abuse the system.

Or even a consumption based tax whereby you DO pay taxes but, for the most part, they are dependent on your consumption of items - giving you some form of control over the taxes you pay.

Edited by craig

Well worth a wee bit extra tax to get in return, e.g. free prescriptions, university fees, personal care,

Should I get a refund on the over 20k I had to pay in tax to buy a house despite not having lived in Scotland for 17 years and not having been a drain on ANY Scottish resource whatsoever in those years ? I don't begrudge it (well, maybe a little) but I got absolutely ZERO for that 20k. Probably many more like me I suspect.

We are spending more in certain sectors to negate the effects of Tory policy - Bedroom tax being one such example. The tax has not been abolished in Scotland - The Scot Govt is footing the bill, not the housing tenants. You could argue that the Govt could simply stop paying that, and free up that cash for other things, but then council tenants would be up in arms about having to pay the unfair tax, resulting in folk being evicted from family homes etc and adding to the ongoing housing issues.

Sorry mate, but again I tihnk you misundertand this. The bedroom tax is a cut to benefits for certain housing association tennants. The Scottish Government can spend the money saved by that cut to mitigate its impact if they wish. There's no net loss for Scotland in this scenario.

Surely it would be easier for some to understand if people would describe the spare bedroom subsidy as the spare bedroom subsidy. :thinking:

Although, to be fair, the chances that Spain, Belgium etc would allow an independent Scotland membership of the EU were slim so they probably would have ended up with the pound and allowed an important part of their economic policy to be controlled by another country.

Either way, it just highlights one of the weakness in the argument for independence.

Perhaps but first choice was the euro.

That is correct. Sweden has said it will only enter ERM2 if the people agree in a referendum. Any nation can take the same line if it wishes to stay out of the Euro.

This from WIKIPEDIA “Sweden joined the European Union in 1995 and its accession treaty has since obliged it to adopt the euro once the country is found to comply with all the convergence criteria. However, one of the requirements for eurozone membership is two years' membership of ERM II, and Sweden has chosen not to join this mechanism, which would peg the Swedish currency to the euro ±2.25%. The SEK floats freely alongside other currencies. Most of Sweden's major parties believe that it would be in the national interest to join, but they have all pledged to abide by the result of the referendum.

The EU has accepted that Sweden is staying outside the eurozone on its own decision. Olli Rehn, the EU commissioner for economic affairs has said that this is up to Swedish people to decide.”

Well we wouldnt have had a government that abides by regerendum results.

Unlike sweeden.