Anouncements - Murty and John

We have seen on this forum that there is little agreement about who would be a suitable candidate for manager; there appears to few options and even fewer who tick all the boxes. Perhaps, this is also the view of the board who have taken the safety first option by appointing Murty till the end of the season. By that time it will be clear if Murty has it in terms of managerial ability and if not then the Board will then have to consider what managerial candidates are available in the Summer. We know the last two appointments have been disappointing and therefore it is only to be expected that the Board will exercise some caution in appointing a manager and therefore have opted for what might called a holding opinion.

We have seen on this forum that there is little agreement about who would be a suitable candidate for manager; there appears to few options and even fewer who tick all the boxes. Perhaps, this is also the view of the board who have taken the safety first option by appointing Murty till the end of the season. By that time it will be clear if Murty has it in terms of managerial ability and if not then the Board will then have to consider what managerial candidates are available in the Summer. We know the last two appointments have been disappointing and therefore it is only to be expected that the Board will exercise some caution in appointing a manager and therefore have opted for what might called a holding opinion.

I think if I was looking for a positive it would be that King is cash strapped (other directors are stepping up to the plate) but knowing that there is little money we are giving what is available to Murty and Allen in January rather than spend it on a new manager and his entourage who will then not have any cash to improve the team. One thing I would trust Murty in is his ability to spot a player. He’s not a Walter Smith but he’s nobodies fool in terms of understanding football would be my assessment.

Hopefully the TOP is the last big issue but it’s frustrating that again it was self inflicted damage and is delaying recovery.

I'm trying to keep the heid. Murty is rated at the club and has been ok as caretaker. The players seem to like him. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd become the next manager and it's a decision many would have backed before that brothel of a performance against St Johnston.

Yes, I am trying to convince myself a bit.

If this all goes t*ts up the one person who will be blameless is Murty. He has conducted himself impeccably and got some decent results in the circumstances. These next few months could be the making of him. It won’t destroy him. He will only learn and if it doesn’t go well I hope he can step back into development roles at Rangers with a lot more feathers in his cap.

In his brief spells as Manager, Murty has shown that he has the backing of the players. He has also shown that he can switch the formation depending on who is playing against and has had some good results against teams at the top of the table. He conducts himself well, knows the Ibrox set up and will have a good understanding of the Scottish game. He is slowly bringing on some young players and seems to be a good man-manager. So far so good.

What we now need to see from him is how he can improve on performances against teams in the lower end. It will be interesting to see what type of players he brings in in January, whether he offloads anyone and whether he brings back O'Halloran and can get him to be more consistent.

He now has a decent period of time to make his mark and as has already been said, he has little to lose.

Here's looking forward to the next 5 months.