Rangers Want LA Galaxy Player Link

Rangers manager Walter Smith hopes to set up a player exchange programme with David Beckham's future employers, Major League Soccer outfit LA Galaxy.

The Glasgow side will face Galaxy in a friendly in the USA on 23 May.

And Smith told the Scottish Daily Express: "We will be holding talks with a view to setting up an exchange scheme that can help develop players.

"With Beckham already signed, they will attract the cream of American kids who want to play alongside a superstar."

Former England midfielder Beckham will join the Californian outfit in a five-year deal worth a reported �£128m once he leaves Real Madrid in the summer.

"When I was Scotland manager, I spoke to then USA coach Bruce Arena at Hampden and he felt the best-ever crop of American players was just about to break through," said Smith.

_42815039_beckhamsmith203.jpg

"A club like Rangers can't afford to ignore such a vast pool of talent and I can't think of a better club over there to have close ties with than LA Galaxy.

"We would be prepared to have their players and coaches at Murray Park for a few months at a time and vice versa.

"I don't foresee any problems and it's something I'm very keen on.

"There are no regulatory issues with younger players coming over and, while you need a work permit for those you want to sign at professional level, you oten find American lads have European links and even have passports for EC countries."

LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas feels exchange schemes can help his club grow.

"If there was a chance for players to move between Glasgow and the US, for example, it could be beneficial for both clubs," said the former USA defender

"Establishing connections is important for us and Rangers come into that.

"For us, it is a chance to tap into their history and expertise."

You always here of clubs doing this but nothing much ever materialises. Hopefully this one works and they can send a few Claudio Reyna's over.

But we should already have a scouting netwrok set up in the USA although the US would be far down on my list of priorities.

Anyway, I wonder if there is chance of getting Becks for our right midfield next season!!!