[FT] Celtic 0 - 0 Rangers

I hope everyone has had an enjoyable Christmas with friends and family as we now look forward to the annual circa New Year Old Firm fixture. Visiting Celtic Park is never an easy task. Over the years we have taken many great sides there and in my lifetime the NIAR years especially. However, the one that sticks in my mind is from Feb 2011 and it was a 1-1 draw with a big Lee McCulloch bullet of a header from a corner around 80 mins cancelling out a Scott McDonald opener a minute or so previously.

The reason this particular game sticks in my mind is more for peripheral personal reasons than the match itself. The game was pretty dull with Celtic being on top and we were under the cosh until big Jig popped up with the equaliser. It had many similarities with the last game Graeme Murty was in charge of at Parkhead where Clint Hill popped up late on with an equalizer. Anyway, back to the game in 2011. It was the first and only game my good lady who is no longer with us went to at Parkhead. Jean had always point blank refused to go there. This time I had talked her into it and she eventually succumbed to my obvious charm….

Problem was she refused to tell anyone, especially her dad as in her words “he would have gone mental” so nobody new she was going and as far as I know her dad still doesn’t (hence I still have the ability to write this preview). It’s never a pleasant sight for any bear walking into what is a cauldron of venom from the stands. She seemed to take it in her stride and after we left we managed to sneak our way back up towards the louden on duke street with scarfs up our jackets (backside clenched in case the scarves fell out!)

So, this Saturdays fixture is on December the 30th which bizarrely is Jeans birthday. Now I’m not one for divine intervention but if there is any kicking about I am more than happy to accept some come noon on Saturday. A funny story about jeans birthday and the 30th of December is that when we first met this was unfortunately very close to the 31st of December which is Hogmanay. I remember the first birthday I had with Jean and we had been out on the 30th as it was still the xmas festivities (I was on the booze at the time). So all was fine until I arrived to meet Jean and her friends that day after with a bunch of flowers (expensive too) and a Happy Birthday card! Wow! That didn't go down well. She had just thought that the nights out were her birthday but then realised I had the days wrong! Two things happened that day, 1, I never forgot Jeans birthday was the 30th of December again and 2, I learned to run much faster!

After last night’s fixture with Motherwell at Ibrox I am unusually optimistic about this Saturday. It will be a blow to lose Ryan Jack who took a heavy knock last night being stretchered off. Never a pleasant sight to see that happening and let’s hope it’s nothing too serious. The reason for my optimism is that I hope and believe we can adapt and play a far better system when sitting on the counter. Mirroring the game back in 2011 ns also last year we will be under pressure for much of the match and is up to our defence and midfielders to soak this up and look for a good out ball and break to work with. We must also hope we can potentially take advantage of any set pieces that come our way?

Things can seem bleak at times and it’s not unusual to be like this. Our season has been up and down like a Florida rollercoaster and emotions as supporters can end up being somewhat bi-polar. The matches versus Hears, Hibs and Aberdeen yielded great results yet our other fixtures versus St Johnstone and Kilmarnock leave us contemplating some form of footballing collective counselling? Therefore, predicting what kind of team or performance we can expect this Saturday is near impossible. Add to this it’s a New Year Old Firm Fixture at Parkhead then its real is anyone’s guess?

All that being said I would like to see us start with a 3-5-2 formation which is fluid. This easily becomes a 5-4-1 when required which I am aware will be the majority of the game. The main game plan for me is to keep the midfield flooded and adapt to game situations. I would simply hope we start with the option of being able to break forward when and if we have the opportunity. There is bound to be a point within the game where we have control too. It will be a bonus to utilise a fluid formation when these moments occur. Having said all that, would it be safe and simple to stick with a 4-5-1? Picking the side is dependent on injuries and we now expect Jack to be out. Therefore, if we were to begin with a 4-5-1 we would have Wes in goal and a back four of Alves and Wilson who in my last preview I slated but felt he was solid versus Motherwell so would have him in there beside Alves. This leaves John and Tavernier on either side. Playing five in midfield would be Jason Holt, Ross McCrorie, Josh Windass, Jamie Baronjas who I feel would do a job for this game and Candeias. The reason for Candeias is to support Tavernier if and when they can dove tail? This leaves us with Morelos to run the line up front, give the defenders a hard time and look for a mistake. Nico had a good game last night but I feel this game would pass him by, although with him playing last night that may mean he starts this Saturday?

The only easy thing to predict this Saturday is that it will be a tough game but we have shown with our performances versus Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs that we can both play well and win when under pressure. We have quality in our side and when we play as a team we are capable of determination and good football. It was a cold February day back in 2011 and I expect it will be another cold winter day on the 30th this Saturday. I would happily take a 1-1 draw right now but still believe our side have the quality to leave with three points. This along with any help of the unseen kind from and loved ones who are no longer with us is more than happily accepted this festive season!

C’mon eh Bears!

Edited by cooponthewing

Visiting Celtic Park is never an easy task. Over the years we have taken many great sides there and in my lifetime the NIAR years especially.

Once we got the monkey off the back in April 1989 (think it was 2-1 with McCoist getting a knock in from a Ian Ferguson free kick - first win there in many a year) we then went there for the best part of 10 years and won at a canter. Then there was the stand out 3-0 win at the shame game when we won the title under Advocaat on their patch - utterly took them apart. Under McLeish v ONeill there was some torrid games but when Walter returned we had them again (The late Big Ugo and Daniel Cousin spring to mind).

At the moment I am probably not alone and thinking we would bite the hand off for a draw like Murty got last season.

I have very little optimism for Sat with the amount of injuries we have and our topsy turvy form. They've not been great lately but will be well up for this. I worry how easily teams can bully us and guys like Holt and Barjonas aren't strong enough and will fall out the game. We absolutely cannot concede and early goal and for me the only formation we can play is 5-4-1.

We need to start stopping crosses, both our fullbacks aren't having the best seasons in that regard. Bruno, Wilson and either Bates or Cardoso (Murty just doesn't seem to rate him) need to keep their concentration levels for 90 mins high. We cannot start Hodson, the guy just doesn't have quality.

In midfield our most important player will be McCrorie. He looked as if the knock he took the other night affected him the rest of the game so hopefully he's shaken that off. He will need to be strong and composed on the ball which is crazy given how inexperienced he is. He has the ability to stand up and be counted. I'd maybe go with Nico instead of Barjonas just because I don't think we can get away with Holt and Barjonas but again it's a big ask for either for different reasons.

I'd give Windass a free role in behind Morelos but also dropping back to help the midfield out. Get him switching flanks. That's putting a lot of eggs in an often unreliable basket but he also has the ability to cause them problems.

We'll need to move the ball fast when we can. We'll need to hope they have a bad day and that we have no passengers. We'll need the referee to be strong and fair but from starting this reply to now I've changed my mind. We are gonna win 3-1

Not looking forward to the match at all. I'll probably end up not watching it because I'll have my wee boy to look after and don't want him to see it or hear the things I'd end up saying (hard enough getting him interested as it is).

I hope we go 5-4-1 and just try to stop them.

Glasgow Airport shut as snow hits parts of Scotland

Heavy snow has led to the temporary closure of Glasgow Airport.

Airport bosses have apologised to passengers for the disruption and advised them to check with their airlines for updates.

A Met Office yellow "be aware" warning has been issued for snow across central and southern Scotland.

It comes as the country saw one of its coldest nights of the year. The mercury plummeted to -12.3C (9.8F) at Loch Glascarnoch in the Highlands overnight.

The weather warning is valid from 03:00 GMT on Friday until 15:00, it is predicted to bring up to 5cm of snow at low levels, and 10-15cm on ground above 250 metres.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42503615

Just watching the OF game from last season where Miller got halved in two with studs up and two feet. Guess who the ref was....yup John Beaton! This guy is a shameless rangers hater who does not hide it. Reason I highlight this is that it was Beaton again who facilitated Motherwell’s assaults at the weekend.

Tomorrow it’s Bobby Madden who referees the match. Let’s hope we get in about them and get a fair shout while doing it?

Edited by cooponthewing

Never mind all these fancy dan formations beating this lot should be a dawdle just pick up their two full backs in the middle of the park stop them getting up and down the wing and that's there supply cut off , now get out there at their stinking midden and deliver the three points .

In my eyes this game is a real test to the team, as only an absolute team spirit plus 100% from everybody is needed to stop them. If they really believe in getting something out of the game, they won't be bothered to falling behind 0:1 in the first minute or being down 0:3 at halftime. First of all, someone Needs to get on Browns nerves, as he is central. Once he loses focus or doesn't get the freedom he is used to, the Celtic system might fall apart a bit.

Easier said than done though, as they will come out of the traps quite wildly i guess and Rangers will have big Players missing. So, some luck will be needed for sure, too.

Anyway, stand up to the Task and do the blue Shirt pride, please. GOOD LUCK BOYS

Never mind all these fancy dan formations beating this lot should be a dawdle just pick up their two full backs in the middle of the park stop them getting up and down the wing and that's there supply cut off , now get out there at their stinking midden and deliver the three points .

It really should be as simple as that. Hearts showed exactly how you do it. Keltic are far from supermen.