Bill Leckie: Morelos Is A Diddy

I remember my dad saying this all the time. McCoist missed far more than he scored.

Morelos is young, thousands of miles away from his family and living in a totally different climate. Sure he lived in Finland for a bit and was a success there but he must miss his family a lot.

He's a terrific player who need praise not some 2 bob journalist having a pop.

Especially in his early career, McCoist missed lots of chances. The last season under Jock Wallace could have been very different if Ally had taken more of the chances on offer to him. Morelos ran the self proclaimed £100 million defence ragged and created a couple of gilt edged chances that on another day would have given us a famous victory at the Piggery. If he matures the way Ally did and becomes more ruthless he will be a hell of a player. Bill Leckie doesn't know shit.

Only these so called journos can turn a positive support for our club and the team's effort into a negative story. He's scum. Most of them are scum. He makes reference to GIRUY, but what he doesn't appreciate is that we are saving the biggest GIRUY for him and the rest of Scottish football when we win 55. It's going to be the sweetest feeling ever in the history of football. It's also going to be the best story in the game, but I doubt any of these guys will want to tell it. We will though.

The big issue with this is the deliberate downplaying of our players worth, while the overvaluing of the tims players helps them enormously in getting big transfer fees.

The tims bought Dembele for under £1M, yet within a couple of months the stories of English teams lining up £20-£40M bids were circulating widely in Scotland, despite absolutely no evidence of him being worth much more than they paid for him. These players play in the same league as our players, and if some of our players (Morelos, Saturday apart), are scoring more and looking better than their player Dembele, then how the hell can the poorer player be worth 20 times more than the better player?

The Scottish media have a huge part to play in the valuations of players, make no mistake, and the tims have benefitted from this many times over with hugely overinflated fees achieved for mediocre players. Contrast with the downplaying of the worth of Lewis McLeod, Barrie McKay, Martin Waghorn etc.

For the goals Waghorn scored here, a young striker with potential, scoring goals in a poor side, selling to the hugely overinflated English market, the tims would have got £5-£8M for him no problem, with planted paper stories claiming multiple teams were lining up £10M+ bids for him and accentuating the positive attributes to his game while ignoring the negative. Instead we had stories about really derisory bids. English championship clubs spend more on purchasing academy players than we got for Barrie McKay, an international player who was MOTM in an OF cup semi final. McKay should have been attracting bids of around £10M IF we could control the narrative better.

THis to me is our boards biggest challenge. How do we get positive coverage from a bitter media who are firmly in our opponents camp? Sadly, I have seen nothing yet to make me think our MD and PR guys are up to the task.

The big issue with this is the deliberate downplaying of our players worth, while the overvaluing of the tims players helps them enormously in getting big transfer fees.

Methinks the Dembele "debacle" has shown that despite the hysteria about Dembele's last season and the "Invincibles" rubbish, agents and managers in England (at least) have noted that this is a team costing 30m to assemble which is pummeling sides that have been made up of freebies and loanies for half a decade. And the Old Firm game sure was no advert for them either. That said, any money they get for Dembele will be a profit, as he went to them for free, AFAIK.

Okay, aside from the Tabloid hyperbole Leckie deploys and his overplayed 'neutral' standpoint what are we disagreeing with in the article? Morelos worked really hard all match but lets be honest here if Kenny Miller had missed the chances Morelos did there would be a 20 page thread of rage on here towards him. Morelos gets a lot of plaudits from us because he's young and works really hard. But this goes back to other thread where we spoke about valuing endeavour over finesse. The two headers should have been buried but more annoying for me was his decision making on a couple of occasions. There's that great gif doing the rounds where he nutmegs Brown, it's a lovely bit of skill and particularly enjoyable when carried out on one of Scottish footballs untouchables. But from that Morelos broke into the box, created a chance and then chose to shoot for the near post. It was a real waste, he should have looked for a player arriving in the box or gone for the far post. It was poor decision making. He'd a similar opportunity in the 1st half, where he won possession off one of their invincible defenders and chose to shoot weakly wide at the front post instead of trying to win a penalty by rounding the alarmed clod-hopper he'd just dispossessed.

I agree that he's young and should get better. I also agree that any criticism has to be tempered when viewed in the context of him being the top goalscorer in the league in his first season while playing for a side that's inconsistent and while still learning the language and settling into the place. I also think it's to our credit we applauded the wee man and acknowledged the work he put in. I think this is what Leckie misses, most Rangers supporters wanted to see the side compete, make it difficult for Celtic, not roll over and get our tummies tickled like in previous matches. As such we enjoyed and celebrated the fact the side showed some spirit and some fight.

We could have won, Morelos didn't do the ultimate job he's paid for, but he did enough for us to go into the New Year with hope. But he can't keep missing chances like that against Celtic. I really like Morelos, a genuine find for the club and a player with enormous potential, but not one above criticism, however poorly written.