'Alf Garnett' of the Whitehouse quote: "shithole countries"

1 hour ago, craig said:

You cant throw every comment in together - they have to be looked at individually.  Even the Haitians would probably agree it is a shithole - through no fault of their own - they have been ravaged by hurricanes over the last 5-10 years.  But a shithole it probably is.

Besides, I am not sure what relevance the serial bullshitting has to do with this comment.  Is it bullshit ?  Are those countries not shitholes ?

After recognising that a statesman shouldn't say what he did, your 'plea of mitigation' was based on him at least being honest.

We've seen over a couple of years now that generally, he and his administration are not so.

ie. looking at the Trump administration, the description "honest" isn't accurate and hence the 'plea' has no validity. He is no dignified statesman and generaly he isn't honest with his electorate. If you take his persona, he comes under the category of 'clown' or 'rogue' leaders, alongside Kim Jong (NK).

This particular comment was offensive and helped shine a light on his way of thinking. Just as it was also shown by his support for a UK far-right organisation via twitter, condemmed by the Tory Prime Minister.

This isn't about political correctness (which I'm no fan of whatsoever), generally it's about the attempt to normalise offensive rhetoric and at the sametime encourage more and more loonballs to come out from underneath stones. As you touched upon earlier, supposed Statesmen are 'goverened' by different standards when it comes to making such pronoucements and it's not called political correctness.

36 minutes ago, buster. said:

After recognising that a statesman shouldn't say what he did, your 'plea of mitigation' was based on him at least being honest.

We've seen over a couple of years now that generally, he and his administration are not so.

ie. looking at the Trump administration, the description "honest" isn't accurate and hence the 'plea' has no validity. He is no dignified statesman and generaly he isn't honest with his electorate. If you take his persona, he comes under the category of 'clown' or 'rogue' leaders, alongside Kim Jong (NK).

This particular comment was offensive and helped shine a light on his way of thinking. Just as it was also shown by his support for a UK far-right organisation via twitter, condemmed by the Tory Prime Minister.

This isn't about political correctness (which I'm no fan of whatsoever), generally it's about the attempt to normalise offensive rhetoric and at the sametime encourage more and more loonballs to come out from underneath stones. As you touched upon earlier, supposed Statesmen are 'goverened' by different standards when it comes to making such pronoucements and it's not called political correctness.

Yes it is. You can attempt to disguise it in any terms you wish but thats exactly what it is.  "Attempt to normalise offensive behaviour" is an absolute belter. Spurious vagueness wich enables the PC exponent to be offended at whatever they like, even to take offence on others' behalf, as you are now doing.

Whats this "normalise" you are talking about? If you don't agree with the the way you think things should be expressed then you're in some way abnormal and should is some way be normalised?

What are you thinking of here, lobotomies, electric shock treatment, slapped into a gulag.

I think that was tried by the left and abandoned.

Edited by WarrenPiece

41 minutes ago, buster. said:

It wasn't a plea of mitigation at all.  He is either honest or he isn't.  And usually dishonesty is attributed to positive, not negative statements.

Everything that gets said these days is offensive.  It is beyond parody.  I say that Scotland is a shithole at times.  Offensive ?  Fine.  Am I not entitled to my opinion ?  I say the same about my adopted home in Bermuda at times too.  The only difference here is that Trump shouldn't go public with it as a Statesman.  But the politically correct bandwagon has gone way too far IMHO.  We are sanitizing absolutely everything about everyday life.

I find it far more offensive that GW Bush and Blair started a war on Iraq based on the false premise of WMD.  His words, whilst not wise, haven't started a war nor have they killed anyone.

BTW, I am no fan of Trump.  He has comedic value but is no politician nor is he a Statesman in the true sense of the word. 

1 minute ago, WarrenPiece said:

Yes it is. You can attempt to disguise it in any terms you wish but thats exactly what it is.  "Attempt to normalise offensive behaviour" is an absolute belter. Spurious vagueness wich enables the PC exponent to be offended at whatever they like, even to take offence on others' behalf, as you are now doing.

Whats this "normalise" you are talking about? If you don't agree with the the way you think things should be expressed then you're in some way abnormal and should is some way be normalised?

What are you thinking of here, lobotomies, electric shock treatment, slapped into a gulag.

I think that was tried by the left and abandoned.

Is that it?

Generally, 'normalisation' of offensive rhetoric, behaviour, etc is very much something the far-right have been doing in recent years. It's as plain as the nose on my face.

If you think that standards for rhetoric are the same for statesmen as they are for the majority then it only goes to illustrate your need to grasp what isn't there to defend your point.

Wrt Trump, you have to look at what he has said and done over a period of time and there are inescapable conclusions to make. Some may point towards racism and xenaphobia.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

It wasn't a plea of mitigation at all.  He is either honest or he isn't.  And usually dishonesty is attributed to positive, not negative statements.

Everything that gets said these days is offensive.  It is beyond parody.  I say that Scotland is a shithole at times.  Offensive ?  Fine.  Am I not entitled to my opinion ?  I say the same about my adopted home in Bermuda at times too.  The only difference here is that Trump shouldn't go public with it as a Statesman.  But the politically correct bandwagon has gone way too far IMHO.  We are sanitizing absolutely everything about everyday life.

I find it far more offensive that GW Bush and Blair started a war on Iraq based on the false premise of WMD.  His words, whilst not wise, haven't started a war nor have they killed anyone.

BTW, I am no fan of Trump.  He has comedic value but is no politician nor is he a Statesman in the true sense of the word. 

This hasn't anything to do with political correctness as you seem to agree with given your sentence that I highlight in bold type.

Political correctness sucks but best to start another thread.

Just now, buster. said:

This hasn't anything to do with political correctness as you seem to agree with given your sentence that I highlight in bold type.

Political correctness sucks but best to start another thread.

So the only real complaint about his statement is the fact he made it as a Statesman.  Which I agree he shouldn't have publicly stated that - which he is, of course, denying saying.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

So the only real complaint about his statement is the fact he made it as a Statesman.  Which I agree he shouldn't have publicly stated that - which he is, of course, denying saying.

Where has he denied it ?

I can only see this tweet where he denies saying something else.

Edited by buster.