'Alf Garnett' of the Whitehouse quote: "shithole countries"

1 minute ago, boabie said:

Haiti and Port Au Prince specifically was one of the very few stops in that area where I only went ashore once. Every other port was a delight.

Why did I not like it ?

Because it is a shithole.

That's just racist and xenophobic and stuff.  How very dare you?

2 minutes ago, boabie said:

Racism and xenophobia were counted as humour back in my day.

I still remember my Mum coming to Bermuda to see us for the first time.  The island is 60% black with the remainder being a mix of white, Portuguese and foreign....

Wife and I leave the house first morning to go to work... my Mum at the back door "Think I will go into town today - might find myself a darkie".  I couldn't shut the door on her quick enough.... Had to have "the chat" with her when we got home from work.  She was so embarrassed - but, the point being, that generation (presumably you and my mother are same generation boabie) just called a spade a spade and offense wasn't, generally, taken.  Some of my Dad's best friends were of a darker hue - in fact, one of his best friend's, a black guy, had the nickname "Chalkie" - and beloved he was too.

PC HAS gone mad, as has faux outrage.  IMHO of course.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Can you first show me the tweet or link you mentioned reading where he denied saying “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

Can you show me the tweet, link, audio, video recording of him actually saying it ? 

Particularly as that was the initial accusation being made.

I posted the details and link as to the reports (which you didn't dispute) and I never claimed to have the tweet, link, audio, video recording of him actually saying it.

However, you did claim to have read the denial ..."I had read it on Twitter or somesuch."

Now can I see what you claim to have read please....or were you only kidding?*

10 minutes ago, craig said:

I still remember my Mum coming to Bermuda to see us for the first time.  The island is 60% black with the remainder being a mix of white, Portuguese and foreign....

Wife and I leave the house first morning to go to work... my Mum at the back door "Think I will go into town today - might find myself a darkie".  I couldn't shut the door on her quick enough.... Had to have "the chat" with her when we got home from work.  She was so embarrassed - but, the point being, that generation (presumably you and my mother are same generation boabie) just called a spade a spade and offense wasn't, generally, taken.  Some of my Dad's best friends were of a darker hue - in fact, one of his best friend's, a black guy, had the nickname "Chalkie" - and beloved he was too.

PC HAS gone mad, as has faux outrage.  IMHO of course.

Had your Mother been made Heid Yin of Bermuda on her arrival and so different standards were expected or has that story got nowt to do with this thread ?

Edited by buster.

14 minutes ago, buster. said:

I posted the details and link as to the reports (which you didn't dispute) and I never claimed to have the tweet, link, audio, video recording of him actually saying it.

However, you did claim to have read the denial ..."I had read it on Twitter or somesuch."

Now can I see what you claim to have read please....or were you only kidding?*

I read the same thing on Twitter that you posted.  You claimed he didn't deny calling those countries shitholes - however, his words were clear - he says he never said anything derogatory towards them other than they are very poor countries.  Given you believe that the word "shithole" in this context would be derogatory, that would suggest he is indeed denying it.

Did the report contain any audio evidence that Trump actually called them shitholes ?  If he never called them shitholes in the first place then his detractors owe him an apology - and his denial is moot.

You say I didn't dispute the report - how can I possibly be in a position to dispute it ?  I wasn't there when the offending words were allegedly said, neither were you.  Which means that the report tells us nothing, other than that you have seen a negative report about Trump and believe it.  Where is the evidence of him saying what is alleged ?

For the record, I am not saying that he didn't say these things.  But I am trying to highlight the clearly differing standards of evidence between those claiming he said them (there is a report so we should believe it, no need for evidence....) versus his denial (he denied it, he denies everything where is the evidence he didn't say it)

Lets see the evidence he said it, then it can be discussed as to how poor his choice of statements are.