Political Correctness meets its match on C4 News

Articles like that don't really help the unease that I described above.   And then I do a quick google of Hequal to see what they're about and that underlines why I'm uneasy about the agenda against Cathy Newman, regardless of the modern propensity to scream abuse because of a few tweets.

I don't think Newman comes out of it as badly as many are suggesting.  There was only one moment she appeared to struggle badly.  

The world would be a better place without Twitter though.  Modern 'journalists' are just looking for clickbait and a couple of tweets seems to get that for them, sadly.  

3 hours ago, stewarty said:

I had an uneasy feeling watching this.  Perhaps its because of the reaction to the video on social media, which is what drew me to watching it in the first place.

A lot of the coverage and comment has seemed hysterical to me - and I note that Peterson himself has tried to calm things down.

There were a lot of interesting points being made by both, I felt - so I also don't quite understand why some folk thought it a slam dunk against feminism.

What's "uneasy" about it? The fact that someone criticised the left-leaning propaganda swirling around? I agree the abuse -- on both sides -- is unnecessary but I don't see why revelling in the fact he put forward a logical, eloquent view that cuts through the left is "uneasy". Like he said, surely we can discuss these things without having to worry about it being shut down because someone might be offended? I find that offensive. 

Apologies if i've misinterpreted your post(s).

What points did she make?

52 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't think Newman comes out of it as badly as many are suggesting.  There was only one moment she appeared to struggle badly.  

The world would be a better place without Twitter though.  Modern 'journalists' are just looking for clickbait and a couple of tweets seems to get that for them, sadly.  

She got her arse handed to her the whole interview, she thought she was being clever but Peterson way out of her league and she was left woefully exposed.

1 minute ago, forlanssister said:

She got her arse handed to her the whole interview, she thought she was being clever but Peterson way out of her league and she was left woefully exposed.

In your opinion.  I doubt Peterson changed the minds of many new wave feminists or the rest of the politically correct brigade either.  That's what needs to happen.  

People who don't believe in themselves or know they're standing on shaky ground are the ones who like to stifle debate.  Regardless of your political persuasion, shutting down debate is for weaklings.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

The long silence was utterly humiliating for her.

She struggled all the way through though.

18 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

In your opinion.  I doubt Peterson changed the minds of many new wave feminists or the rest of the politically correct brigade either.  That's what needs to happen.  

People who don't believe in themselves or know they're standing on shaky ground are the ones who like to stifle debate.  Regardless of your political persuasion, shutting down debate is for weaklings.

Shutting down the debate is exactly what Newman tried and failed to do, Peterson was happy to debate and provide facts to back his points while Newman was trying to twist his words and attribute false statements to him.

I'd agree with that, fs.  But my point is I doubt many minds were changed by that debate.  

Whether it's even possible to change the minds of those on the PC bandwagon is, I suppose, something the rest of us will have to deal with as time goes on.

Even questioning certain ideologies these days, sees people being accused of being extreme Right.  It's swung far too far.  My hope is that eventually they'll all turn on each other and there is evidence of that happening already.  The hijab wearing lady being withdrawn from L'Oreal adverts due to anti Israeli tweets she posted in 2014 is today's rather amusing example.

52 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

Agree.  I am bemused that anyone could think that she came out of that relatively unscathed.  His intellectual prowess dismantled her.  All she could really do was misrepresent what he actually said, cut in when he was talking and then regurgitate the whole "you don't believe in equal pay" mantra.

He absolutely dismantled her.  If it was a boxing contest it would have been a KO with Newman having barely laid a glove on him.

49 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Except he wasn't trying to change anyone's minds.  As he said multiple times, gender is "one of many" factors in things such as the pay gap.  She just refused to listen to what he was telling her.

It's funny that you talk of shutting down debate - if anyone in that interview was trying to shut down debate it was Newman.  Peterson not only was eloquent and happy to continue debating but he showed an amazing level of restraint in the face of hostility from Newman.  Indeed, he defended her right to freedom of speech, even when she had erroneously accused him of certain things (including the use of transgender wording).