Pacific Quay Musings?

I remember at the time of the Scottish referendum when the Sunday Herald came out for a Yes vote. It became national (UK) news. At first it was simply said that this was the first newspaper to call for a Yes vote (the underlying sentiment among media types down in England was favourable to a Yes vote). Then in later broadcasts it was also said that the circulation was 40,000, which put things into context. The story soon died.

10 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Newspaper circulation figures have been falling across the board for years....no-one wants to read about yesterdays news, when they can get todays news delivered to their fingertips immediately.

You also have 24 hour news on the telly.

As the BBC media affairs correspondent pointed out today on the lunch time news, Newspaper figure are in freefall, why would people pay for news when the can get it for free on their phones and laptops. I concur but i would go even further why pay the BBC license fee, when i can watch output from around the world on the internet on the same devices.

Someone has to 'pay' for it. Whether you pay for it through a licence fee, at point of consumption, point of purchase or by watching advertising all the 'news' content you consume has to be paid for somehow, it's not 'free'. 

I suspect you'll see a 'Spotify' type system emerge where you pay a monthly or annual amount and then get access to 'news' from a wide variety of sources. 

For what it's worth the demise of an independent press is a bad thing in my opinion. 

On 2/8/2018 at 20:48, 26th of foot said:

Latest RAJAR figures popped into my in-box this afternoon.

BBC Radio Scotland's latest figures are 100,000 down from last year's. Pacific Quay will ignore such a calamitous loss of listeners in a calendar year. They are correct and we are wrong.

It's like the Herald. In the year 2000, after a dozen years of Harry Reid's Editorship, the blatt's daily circulation was just over 115,000. Then, we had five years of Mark Douglas Home as Editor, and two Deputy Editors, Joan McAlpine(now a SNP MSP) and former Sellik View Editor, Kevin Mckenna. That particular triumvirate took just five years to reduce daily circulation to under 45,000. 

Your argument is slightly challenge by the fact that Magnus Gardham, politcal editor of The Herald, left that job in (I think) 2015 to become communications director for David Mundell - it was clearly more than a cabal of Republican Nats which laid the Herald low. The reason The Herald's figures started falling c.2000 was due to the rise of the internet, and the reason it has remained low is due to its desperate gambit of publishing any old shite in hopes of getting clicks.

Edited by Germinal

Yes newspaper sales are in free-fall and we will have the inevitable job losses that will follow,not that it will affect the big cat owners but the lesser employees.

We are chasing to have the "Mhedia" silenced but there will be a human cost at the end.

Thing is, if ever there was an opportunity for any ''journalist'' to stand up to the rest of the gutter press it is now, they would probably get a lot of success despite the harassment they would get from the Rangers haters, is there anybody willing to do that? it seems not! an opportunity non the less!.