Pacific Quay Musings?

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Buster raises a valid point above about developing future generations of Rangers fans

Well that's what it's all about, that's why it's so damaging. A football club needs coverage. Why do you think so many kids primarily support English clubs these days? Because they're watching their games! They don't miss Match of the Day. When I was young I supported Inter Milan on the side because I would watch Football Italia with James Richardson on Saturday mornings. You can't underestimate the importance of having coverage of your games. And that applies to the hundreds of thousands of lukewarm fans out there too, it's not just about recruiting new fans.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Perhaps this will come as a surprise but I've no interest what Celtic fans think. We don't need the BBC. Buster raises a valid point above about developing future generations of Rangers fans but I think that will be more affected by winning trophies on the park and taking responsibility ourselves for promoting brand Rangers.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Well that's what it's all about, that's why it's so damaging. A football club needs coverage. Why do you think so many kids primarily support English clubs these days? Because they're watching their games! They don't miss Match of the Day. When I was young I supported Inter Milan on the side because I would watch Football Italia with James Richardson on Saturday mornings. You can't underestimate the importance of having coverage of your games. And that applies to the hundreds of thousands of lukewarm fans out there too, it's not just about recruiting new fans.

Perhaps that was once true but (amazingly enough) my grandkids watch Rangers games on RTV and don't have to be up at 11.30 on a Sunday evening to watch the 3 minutes of highlights that sell nothing to anyone. Rangers needs to expand it's marketing effort big time, not devolve it to the likes of the BBC again. Where's the gain it having kids listen to the BBC tell them how poor/lucky/sectarian their club is?

Edited by Bill

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Perhaps that was once true but (amazingly enough) my grandkids watch Rangers games on RTV and don't have to be up at 11.30 on a Sunday evening to watch the 3 minutes of highlights that sell nothing to anyone. Rangers needs to expand it's marketing effort big time, not devolve it to the likes of the BBC again. Where's the gain it having kids listen to the BBC tell them how poor/lucky/sectarian their club is?

You make a good point but I'd be looking to involve BBC Scotland, who like it or lump it, have an important reach.

As it stands, it's a lot easier for those at BBC Scotland to go down their bitter one-way street.

1 hour ago, Dave M609 said:

Do the people at the top of the BBC in Scotland have to answer to the top brass in the BBC or are they considered separate entities

BBC Scotland have a certain autonomy from London but, in any event, the network are supporting them as they didn't cover the Gerrard unveiling for example.

22 minutes ago, buster. said:

You make a good point but I'd be looking to involve BBC Scotland, who like it or lump it, have an important reach.

It's a vital reach. Most who would call themselves Rangers fans in Scotland are not die hards with a season ticket and RTV subscription. They're the kind who listen to the radio while washing the car and doing runs for the kids etc. Proper coverage of Rangers could be the difference in whether these guys buy Rangers strips for their kids, who have probably picked an English team already. It's far more detrimental than people realise to be ignored on Saturdays by the BBC. They are the national broadcaster and we can't change that.

8 minutes ago, Frankie said:

BBC Scotland have a certain autonomy from London but, in any event, the network are supporting them as they didn't cover the Gerrard unveiling for example.

Do we know if the question has been asked or the point raised, officially?

To an outsider in London its probably something that could be explained away and "complaints" from the public probably just fall under noise.  

Just now, Rick Roberts said:

Do we know if the question has been asked or the point raised, officially?

To an outsider in London its probably something that could be explained away and "complaints" from the public probably just fall under noise.  

Not sure mate but I assume the network will be well aware of the issue.

This issue of attracting and retaining younger bears is one I've mentioned many times before on here.  The thing that makes the biggest difference is a winning team.  This will attract more youngsters than anything else.  The next thing they need is an idol.  What's great is that the younger ones are now taking about Morelos, Coulibaly, Kent and Goldson.  They want to be able to identify with key players.

On the issue of exposure in the BBC, I can tell you that this is just NOT important at all for younger fans or potential fans.  Almost no youngsters would ever think of listening to the radio.  Even fewer wouldn't think about going to a BBC app.  They live a breathe social media now and almost all of their interactions begin with a notification on twitter, Facebook, or similar.

Its for this reason that the stance of the BBC is largely irrelevant to the younger ones, although we all recognise it's a disgrace.  We just need to make sure that they get to see tweets (and similar) of positive things to do with Rangers and that will do more than anything to maintain their attention and attraction for the club.

The premier league did a brillain't job in England because they launched lots of social media rounds, and created lots of additional points of interest such as the fantasy league.  The SPL is run by dinosaurs and it's time they should realised the old spheres of influence will die of with us, the older generations.

The BBC will die off long before that though, and I won't be disappointed.  They might last a little longer than the various newspapers though.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

'The problem I had with this was that the background reasons as to why Chris McLaughlin put himself in the position to have press privilages withdrawn was never told or explained to the watching world. Instead, a vacum is formed that allows the BBC to stand by their man, be dismissive of the club for it's act and allow a general belief to form that it was Rangers who have banned BBC Scotland.

Totally agree. Clubs positions needs clarified.

Slightly off track but i was thinking about this recently. The whole Craig Whyte saga involved...

Chris McLaughlin, celtic fan, mouthpiece for celtic. BBC reporter, position not unrelated for work he does for celtic.

Got given goodies by RTC and was chosen to run their stories, RTC - Known haters with a sole agenda to damage RFC (with hindsight anyway).

Was allowed to run with story for years. Speculate/slander etc...

Imagine a world where the opposite was true. It simply wouldn't happen. Chris Jack, reading Vanguard Bears investigative work on celtic issues, on the evening news. Then discussing it for hours with other Rangers fans. That's effectively what BBC Scotland gave us.