Pacific Quay Musings?

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

There's a lot of unnecessary ad-hominem on this thread.

A lot of people on here don't realise that not every Rangers fan is a die hard who could recite all of the BBCs transgressions over the past decade.

We need to have radio coverage of our games. And when we triumph in Europe we need to have some discussion of our games afterwards just like our rivals get. The BBC are a disgrace for how little they are covering us just now, going way beyond merely not coming to Ibrox.

But something needs to be done get coverage resumed.

Like what? 

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

This ongoing lack of impartial and sufficient reporting and commentating on our games is something the payers of license fees need to adress. Not with the BBC or even less so on fan boards. You (sic!) need to adress the watchdogs of the BBC, which now is Ofcom, not the in-house BBC Trust or any other complaint department. They fail to do their job ... for ages and on their own accord. Martyrising Scrote and pointing out that we started something won't work with Ofcom, who won't care a jot about petty wars of journos with Rangers.

But that is something the license payer has to do, i.e. you, and you and you on here. Anything else won't change a thing.

BBC governance is a miasma. If you go to London you will end up back with Ken McQuarrie who is now Director of Nations and Regions and tied in with his chums who made this decision in the first place. I’ve met him and he will have no interest in helping. 

A dual approach to Ofcom and Fiona Hyslop in the Scottish Govt would be my recommendation. Whilst the BBC is a London operation she is a significant stakeholder in Broadcasting output to and from Scotland. If you raise it to political level you get out of the BBC cycle and can move faster. A question or support from a Rangers supporting MSP might not be a bad thing, backed up with stories from people genuinely disadvantaged. Hyslop will want to be seen to support inclusivity as it’s a stated part of Scottish Govt strategy and values. 

Club 1872 could actively poll for stories and work with charities that help the aged for example to highlight why the radio is important to many people. 

In summary 1872, a sympathetic politician, someone who understands the BBC at a working level could crack this quite quickly. I’m sure Rangers fans have links to unionist politicians (seems plenty of young Tories on follow follow) and someone like 26th of foot working with 1872 and a friendly politician could provide the ammo for Ofcom, Hyslop to either launch or be pressurised with.

Just needs a bit of time to collect data, find the right network to help (all meet), examine the charters of said organisations, agree breaches and launch.   

Walterbear, I like your thinking.

But I'm afraid Fiona Hyslop wouldn't, in all likelihood, deviate from the party line. She could surprise people (including me) by taking up the cudgel though. However, I reckon it would be predictable were she to fudge the issue as it wouldn't be a votecatcher.

Cue accusations of SNP hypocrisy with regard to delivering for all citizens.

45 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Walterbear, I like your thinking.

But I'm afraid Fiona Hyslop wouldn't, in all likelihood, deviate from the party line. She could surprise people (including me) by taking up the cudgel though. However, I reckon it would be predictable were she to fudge the issue as it wouldn't be a votecatcher.

Cue accusations of SNP hypocrisy with regard to delivering for all citizens.

I think the party line will be inclusivity SoulS. She probably doesn’t even know this issue exists. The key is to get statements from people genuinely disadvantaged who deserve better public services and present them in a fair and balanced context against the objectives of public service broadcasting. 

In the case of Broadcasting that is provided by the BBC but BBC Scotland have their own output and she through her colleagues in Westminster and with support from well placed Rangers fans could call the BBC to account. I don’t think she or her party have a negative line on this. 

This is not really about big bad Rangers v the rest of the world, it is about certain disadvantaged people in Scotland who are being actively excluded from national broadcasting. I don’t think she or Ofcom can or will ignore that. The BBC as has been evidenced can and do ignore it, and are displaying ever increasing disregard for their public duty. 

The first step step is to create a solid case so I would start with 1872, someone who knows the BBC in detail (Jim T for example) and a lower level politician. Go thru the data, then go thru the mission statements of these organisations and decide who to present it to. It’s 4-6 hours work from 3 or 4 people but once it’s out there it’s out there and pressure can be applied. 

There must be someone who who reads this stuff who is sufficiently connected to kick this off. 

Edited by Walterbear

The only way Fiona Hyslop would become involved, is if you offered her the opportunity to eat Pacific Quay.

We have to ensure the MV Waverley is out of reach, she enjoys a boat dessert. Apres consumption, she would be bobbing in the Clyde, providing a hazard to river navigation. 

I don't think we need the BBC at all.  The issue is that we pay the licence the same as the fans of all the other clubs but we are not provided the same service.

And all because our club did the right thing by revoking that bald, ugly twat's press privileges because his reporting on all things Rangers was continually biased.