Pacific Quay Musings?

I can see both points of view.  If you have a TV with a receiver in it, you are bound to pay the licence fee.  But it is avoidable in the modern world.

I don't think it helps when Bears have a go at each other.  It's not hard to be polite.

I mean living with a TV with a receiver is avoidable.  You can get as much Rangers info and footage as you want without one.

I'm getting to the stage of writing to the BBC and saying I'm just going to pay half because I'm being short changed.  

If they want to pay SNP nitwits and Rangers haters like Michael Stewart to analyse football then why should I pay his wages? 

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I mean living with a TV with a receiver is avoidable.  You can get as much Rangers info and footage as you want without one.

You still have to pay it if you don’t have a TV if you watch live tv on a laptop or mobile device. 

Good News?

Mark Horne reporting in Saturday's Times, BBC Scotland have shed in excess of 200,000 listeners in two years.

It's audience reach was 749,000 in the final three months of last year, down from 839,000 in the same quarter the previous year, and 952,000 in 2016.

A BBC Scotland spokesman said, "It's a competitive time for radio, with listeners consuming their content in many different ways". Further, "we will continue to listen to our audience, and adapt to provide the content they love, where and when they want it".

"BBC Radio Scotland still has the second largest weekly reach of any station in Scotland and during the last quarter of 2018, listeners spent more time with us than during the same period the previous year".  The figures came as BBC Scotland prepares to launch it's £32 million TV channel on February 24th.

What a bland statement from BBC Scotland's spokesman, he/she must work on Sportscene, if they cannot be named.

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Good News?

Mark Horne reporting in Saturday's Times, BBC Scotland have shed in excess of 200,000 listeners in two years.

It's audience reach was 749,000 in the final three months of last year, down from 839,000 in the same quarter the previous year, and 952,000 in 2016.

A BBC Scotland spokesman said, "It's a competitive time for radio, with listeners consuming their content in many different ways". Further, "we will continue to listen to our audience, and adapt to provide the content they love, where and when they want it".

"BBC Radio Scotland still has the second largest weekly reach of any station in Scotland and during the last quarter of 2018, listeners spent more time with us than during the same period the previous year".  The figures came as BBC Scotland prepares to launch it's £32 million TV channel on February 24th.

What a bland statement from BBC Scotland's spokesman, he/she must work on Sportscene, if they cannot be named.

The "second highest weekly reach" statement is disingenuous. The only commercial stations that can possibly compete on 'reach' are Talksport and Classic FM and neither of those stations produces Scotland only content. Their commercial competitors, such as Clyde, Forth, Capital etc are regional stations and so have a much lower potential reach to begin with. Radio Scotland massively underperforms, taking only 6.7% of its potential audience. A station like Clyde 1 reaches 14% as a comparison. BBC Radio Ulster, the equivalent BBC station in Northern Ireland, has 19.9% of audience share in their market. 

The problem I have with BBC Scotland is its disproportionate influence on Scottish football. By holding exclusive radio rights and TV highlights it has a monopoly for anyone without access to BT or Sky TV. If Radio Scotland continue to refuse to cover Rangers equally they should be forced to allow other stations to provide a coverage.