Pacific Quay Musings?

DrStu' Goes Full Tonto!

Yesterday was Thursday, thus we are treated to 45 minutes of BBC Radio Scotland's Media Review. John Beattie and Anne Marie Watson are hosting, whereas Dr Eammon O'Neill and DrStu' are sitting extremely comfortably with their preferred prejudices. Anna Burnside contributes gender balance and nothing else. The idea is they discuss stories making the biggest waves in the week's media. The reality is an unmissable cabaret. DrStu' brings one of his many faces to the gig, the pompous prig. O'Neill spends most time establishing both his victimhood and journalistic credentials.

Two thirds of the show was dominated by discussion on Billy Mitchell. Who is Billy Mitchell? Apparently, Billy Mitchell appeared on last week's Question Time. As they administered a right good kicking to Billy Mitchell, I realised I had saw part of the particular episode of Question Time, broadcast from Motherwell. This guy, replete in a red shirt(both DrStu' and Dr Eamonn insisted it was orange), sitting in the audience battered the SMP's Fiona Hyslop MSP. Holding a sheath of papers as a prop, he challenged the economic case for independence. Waving the papers, he claimed it was Salmond's proposition, predlcated on a barrel of oil selling for $115. He stated oil had never reached such a price and, "if you go down the Barras, you get one for a tenner". It was a decent line, well presented, and the audience mostly applauded.

Fiona Hyslop MSP has been Minister for everything, I suspect she highlights the shallowness of the Scottish Government talent pool. She smiled cluelessly throughout her haranguing. At the time, I wondered why Fiona did not deal with the guy in the red shirt in her usual manner? Why didn't she just eat him? I don't think Fiona could consume Mitchell in one sitting, but a bit of effort would see him gone by putting the leftovers between a couple of slices of bread.

Billy Mitchell's crime is to have appeared on Question Time on four separate occasions. DrStu' and Dr Eamonn demanded to know how he had achieved this feat? Billy Mitchell claims he was invited. The two Docs screamed, "who issued that invitation"? Beattie read out a couple of bland BBC Scotland statements. The twa' Doactors claimed bias, Question Time's production staff were in the dock, accused of undermining Scotland's legitimate search for emancipation. Empathy, as a license fee paying Rangers supporter, I agree BBC Scotland are biased. Now, as discussed, Sportscene is the only show on TV that refuses to run credits. Question Time does run credits, the Production staff includes Annie McGuire, a sometime co-host of DrStu' on 'Off the Ball', why doesn't he ask Annie? Oh, and whom do we ask?

Billy Mitchell is no mystery, I found out in a few minutes of dabbling on Google that Billy is a former official UKIP candidate for Euro' elections. He polled 34 votes. If Mitchell's constant appearances on Question Time is such a threat to the two Docs' political aspirations, why not organise a similar demonstration to the threat posed by Nick Robinson. You know a couple of thousand descending upon PQ with full colour portrait banners, spur of the moment stuff. You would want to stop Billy Mitchell doubling his vote, 68 crosses in the box demands immediate action.

Anyways, after thirty minutes the show moves on to discussing Jennifer Aniston's fiftieth birthday. DrStu' cannot be bothered and issues forth, "I am not a big fan of judgemental media reference folks' private lives". Read that again and look below as to what DrStu' said several minutes before about the Devil that is Billy Mitchell :

1. He lives in Livingston and plays the flute.

2. He is a member of a protestant marching band.

3. He is known for wearing England tops.

4. I mean, a Scot in an England jersey, that does not play well in a new modern Scotland.

As stated in the title, DrStu' goes full Tonto. It's just as well he is not a fan of judgemental media reference folks private lives. Actually, "new, modern Scotland" is a phrase that sounds very Tony Blair. Is DrStu' morphing into a similar grasping aspirationalist?

Further, both Docs were anxious to provide the listeners with an acceptable alternative to Question Time. BBC Scotland's new channel, launched next week is a new, modern, and bold channel. Again, the repetition of those words, the future is bright and it can be controlled, our way. As Rangers supporters, we agree that there is a bias, but with James Cook as Editor of the new, modern, and bold channel, I don't think we'll be marching together into the sunrise.

Lastly, another rehearsed line for the Docs was, Question Time is old and it's a clapped-out format". Both spat it several times. DrStu' in your 67th year and weekly multiple appearances on the National broadcaster for quarter of a century; you are old and clapped-out, how do we get rid of you?

I read that there is some editorial attempt at providing balance in the Question Time audience, so someone from Scotland who openly supports UKIP is more likely to get a ticket as there are fewer applicants from that political persuasion applying up here. Hence the same person appearing more than once. I suspect Stuart Cosgrove already knew that, and if he didn't it wouldn't be hard to find out, he's fairly well connected in media and Question Time is produced in Glasgow. 

I can't watch Question Time, it makes me want to emigrate. 

I forgot to turn on the tranny last night, how was last night's gutsy, plucky performance from wee Celtic heralded by the great and the good? 

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I watch it for sado-masochistic reasons.

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I forgot to turn on the tranny last night

That's no way to speak about the losing manager.

4 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I read that there is some editorial attempt at providing balance in the Question Time audience, so someone from Scotland who openly supports UKIP is more likely to get a ticket as there are fewer applicants from that political persuasion applying up here. Hence the same person appearing more than once. I suspect Stuart Cosgrove already knew that, and if he didn't it wouldn't be hard to find out, he's fairly well connected in media and Question Time is produced in Glasgow. 

I forgot to turn on the tranny last night, how was last night's gutsy, plucky performance from wee Celtic heralded by the great and the good? 

Sellik were carrying the standard for Scotland in Europe. The usual two Irishmen(Pat Bonner and Tom English), plus Peter Houston and Liam McLeod confirmed it during commentary. It is a well rehearsed line, usually Australian, Scott McDonald strangles the line. It's the confusion, words like, Champions, Standard, and Scotland, all in the one sentence, ah mean?

Another line synonymous with this season's PQ coverage is, 'in reality this not a Europa Cup match, Sellik face a champions league fixture tonight'. Liam McLeod was most anxious to parrot the line reference Sellik's Europa Cup group. Directly, he compared it with Rangers grouping, we were not facing the same caliber of opposition. Last night, Pat Bonner opened with line, Valencia are champions league. Liam dutifully reinforced the line before commentary. I get it, the separate entity are champions league in their approach and application. The notional Sellik got fcuked 0-2.

Surely, the Compliance Officer can help, she was sitting in the comfy, green heated seats in the north stand?

They replaced (ITV) Border TV with BBC Alba in the Borders a few years ago.  So instead of getting the latest news from the Border City (Carlisle), inhabitants of the Borders get a channel in a language that no one ever spoke there.

That annoys me.