Pacific Quay Musings?

On 15/02/2019 at 20:10, Scott7 said:

Dingwall is a Highland town. There’s a gaelic choir there. Nonetheless only a miniscule percentage of the population will be able to understand the Alba output.

What’s the point?

I'm lost by this argument. Should BBC Alba only cover the Lewis and Harris local league then? I've lost count of the posts on here complaining about commentary and summarisers, I'd have thought ones you can't understand would be a welcome relief! 

I haven't lived in the Borders for over 20 years.  My parents told me about the channel thing - it may be I have confused the information.  I do know they're on BT and that might have something to do with it.

I actually applaud Alba's showing of lower league football.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I haven't lived in the Borders for over 20 years.  My parents told me about the channel thing - it may be I have confused the information.  I do know they're on BT and that might have something to do with it.

I actually applaud Alba's showing of lower league football.

When Border was taken over by Granada it lost a lot of its local identity. News programmes were broadcast from Tyne Tees in Newcastle for example. But they do currently produce a daily news and current affairs programme from Carlisle and have a local advertising office there as well. It's not the same station it once was though, a similar thing is happening to Ulster TV too. It's progress, apparently...

2 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

When Border was taken over by Granada it lost a lot of its local identity. News programmes were broadcast from Tyne Tees in Newcastle for example. But they do currently produce a daily news and current affairs programme from Carlisle and have a local advertising office there as well. It's not the same station it once was though, a similar thing is happening to Ulster TV too. It's progress, apparently...

As did Grampian when STV took it over.

13 hours ago, compo said:

I think there's a new BBC Scotland channel starting soon no doubt it will be infested with Rangers haters .

Very probably and it's no surprise.

Look generally at the politics of the country and it kind of runs parrallel with much of BBC Scotland.

Again generally, when the club and it's support is on the outside of that, both politically (in Scotland/Glasgow this seems to include football) and literally (current ongoing dispute)........ then we are going to be treated as outsiders.

It is far from justified from a public broadcaster but that's where it seems to be and is headed wrt the new channel.

Edited by buster.

Gang Hut Speak.

Looking through BBC Scotland's website this morning, I note they have a most peculiar take(spin) on events effecting Kris Boyd yesterday. Of course, the article is unattributed.

It begins : 'Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd has criticised Celtic fans after being hit by a coin and being subjected to what he considers sectarian abuse on Sunday'.

BBC Scotland's multi layered defence of Sellik begins with redefining sectarianism, are we to believe that only Kris Boyd considers being subjected to to continuous chants of, 'you're just a fat orange bastard', is an expression of sectarianism? Obviously, in the PQ Gang Hut, being referred to as an orange bastard is a term of endearment.

The piece goes on, 'The former Rangers and Scotland striker had been warming up as a substitute when apparently struck by an object'.

Having watched BBC Scotland's very own Sportscene last evening, there is no ambiguity, the footage clearly shows a pound coin striking Boyd's arm. Why the need for the adverb, 'apparently'? Now, this particular adverb could have been utilised to speculate on the source of the coin, the Green Brigade. Sportscene stated the coin emanated from, 'the crowd'; they didn't speculate on which set of supporters, let alone specify a grouping. It allowed Michael Stewart to include the coin thrown at Livi. Remember, that coin thrower has been arrested, charged, and appeared in court. Whoever tossed the pound coin at Boyd will be arrested, charged, and appear in court, the same time as the Fernando Ricksen lighter thrower at ra Stade de Gadd, 18 years ago.

Carry on Constable.

Sunday morning's TV schedule includes an excruciating sixty minutes entitled 'the Big Questions', hosted by Nicky Campbell. The privately educated Jambo provides opportunity to a recurring cast to express their emotions on a whole menu of social and political turmoil. Most of those appearing are addicted to appearing and baring their very souls. I suppose the big question that is never discussed is exhibitionism. Of course, the Host is the very epitome of, 'the look at me, look at me' burgeoning culture. Days after birth, Nicky was adopted by a middle class Edinburgh family, attended St Andrews Uni', wrote jingles for Northsound in Aberdeen, pitched up at BBC Radio One, ...................... etc. We know this because Nicky penned his auto-biography fifteen years past.

The twist was Nicky's biological father was an Irish RC, who volunteered for IRA service in the mid to late 50s. The height of that republican campaign was  the continuous explosive destruction of pillar boxes. The exposure was intense and Nicky rocks angst better than any other middle aged white male. The sensitive culmination arrived at Tynecastle when the then manager of Sellik, Neil Lennon was attacked track side by John Wilson in 2011. The boy in maroon was the talk of the toon, he was charged with aggravated assault. At his jury trial, we found out Wilson himself was RC, and only the discredited head of security(among a dozen folks at the tunnel) that evening, heard Wilson scream, 'f-e-nian bastard'. Wilson was jailed for assault, but importantly the attack was not motivated by sectarianism. Interestingly, the morning after the assault, on BBC national radio, Campbell posed the question, 'Lennon's attacker could be a Rangers supporter pretending to be a Hearts fan'?

Obviously, Nicky Campbell suffers from confusion, but he is always confused the right way. As a Jambo he is clearly embarrassed that such an incident occurred at Tynecastle, but what motivated him to deliberately run interference by pointing the finger at a notional, pretend Rangers supporter? It was the path of least resistance and he knew in the confines of the BBC, such a ridiculous accusation would gain purchase. In fact, it has enhanced his career.

So, Sunday's Big Questions is located at Hutchesons' Grammar School, the topic is, 'Identity', and some well kent names are in the audience, James Dornan MSP, Chris McLaughlin of catholic voices, Rabbi Jonathon Romain, ....... etc. The Researcher is Caitlin McKenna. Normally, I switch over, pick up my book, or make a cuppa; but I knew given the circumstances, there will be an introduction to the latest useful idiot. It will be someone aspirational, grasping at the opportunity of exposure. It will be emotional, he/she will establish a background that lends integrity and gravitas to the outburst. It will be Phil McFournames-esque in presentation.

Sitting in the front row next to Chris McLaughlin, is Jenny Constable. I am guessing, thirtyish, bold, and desperate to improve her career prospects by taking the path of least resistance. We have endured several folks suffering identity crisis, Seeks, Hindus, Muslims, .... all prioritising their preferred prejudice. Being Scotland, the Referendum is raised, there those proclaiming their identity as Scots, and those British. All legitimate political aspirations. The culmination is Jenny, she explains she was a No voter, but changed her mind post-referendum because of Brexit. All legitimate thus far, she steal herself and gives out on her provenance, she is the grand daughter of a Minister, her upbringing is the Church of Scotland, it's getting more Phil. Courage taken, she launches into what she has been primed to say. Rangers supporters are frightening, they are terrifying, they are the epitome of British nationalism, and finishes with, they are a disease.

Well done Jenny, the stage was delivered and you delivered. You will be the toast of the various organs listed on your Linkedin page. Like Angela Haggerty, you will be a regular on BBC Scotland soonest. You have paid your dues, passed the rite of passage, it's time to collect. Make sure you talk to Spiers, Nicky, and Billy Dodds, they'll tell you the limits of exploitation.