Pacific Quay Musings?

5 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

As I remain in France, Cordes sur Ciel to be exact; and as such do not have access to BBC Scotland's highlights, how has Mikey Stewart reacted to Edouard's dive to win a penalty? A solid Jambo is Mikey, or will he allow his seething hatred of Craig Levein to 'cloud' his judgement?

There must be at least ten differing camera angles?

He hasnt mentioned it on twitter. Not sure of their post-match stuff.

Dick by Name.

"Edinburgh Zoo have accepted the transfer of Rangers player, Filip Sebo, they plan to exhibit him".

It's almost fifteen years ago now, but the above was an e-mail received by BBC Scotland's 'Through the Window' programme. Big Dick presented the show, the transfer window was closing and BBC Radio Scotland had reporters around the country, past the bewitching hour. It was a slow night and Big Dick had received the e-mail early, he hummed and hawed over broadcasting it, but kept chuckling. He told us he intended clearing it with his Producer, and after midnight would tell us the contents of the e-mail. On hearing the contents, I thought he was just flashing his credentials as a Rangers hater. Today, I have read Big Dick's SPL Premiership team of the season 2018-19, it confirms the hate remains strong.

Joe Lewis again proved he is the best keeper in the country. Allan McGregor performed well for Rangers, but was let down by on going disciplinary problems. Daniel Bachmann was the other serious contender for the number one spot.

My full backs are Rangers skipper, James Tavernier who improved defensively and remains a menace going forward, and Greg Taylor who had an outstanding season and looks to have a bright future. Craig Halkett and Stuart Findlay form a rock solid central defensive partnership. The outgoing Livingston captain should be an excellent signing for Hearts, while Findlay must be in the running for international honours. I had a list of about fifteen other defenders to choose from, including the likes of Max Lowe, Scott McKenna, Andrew Considine, Paul Hanlon, Jason Kerr, David Gray, but the quartet I picked were the top performers.

The midfield was the toughest area to whittle down, Killie trio Alan Power, Gary Dicker, Chris Burke, Celtic captain, Scott Brown, Scott Arfield and Ryan Kent were among plenty I considered, but I am more than happy with the four I have gone with. MY LINE-UP PROBABLY LACKS A BIT OF BALANCE but I have selected the best midfield in the country across a season.

Callum McGregor was the outstanding talent in Scottish football for me, a player with the touch and vision to stand out at the highest level, and always a joy to watch. Lewis Ferguson came to the fore on day one for the Dons and very quickly established himself, and Graeme Shinnie put in another highly consistent season, and thoroughly deserves his place. At the tip of my diamond, it has to be David Turnbull, who exploded on to the scene and reeled off a series of dynamic performances, capped by a fifteen goal haul.

The least competitive area of my team was up front. I considered Eamonn Brophy but half his goal haul were penalties. Osdonne Edouard peaked for the big games, but lacked consistency and Alfredo Morelos would be more of a liability than an asset. James Forrest was a stick on, so I would give him a flexible role supporting Dons top marksman, Sam Cosgrove. Had he converted that late penalty at Easter Road, then Big Sam would have finished as the Premiership's joint top scorer, and given where he came from at the start of the campaign, his final tally was a remarkable achievement.

Thus Big Dick choose, Lewis, Tavernier, Taylor, Halkett, Findlay, McGregor, Ferguson, Shinnie, Turnbull, Forrest, and Cosgrove. 

Four players from the fourth finishing Dandies, two apiece from Killie and ra Sellik, and one each from Livi, 'Well, and Rangers. The official BBC Scotland Premiership team has five Rangers : McGregor, Tavernier, Arfield, Kent, and Morelos. Reference, "the goal machine"(it's how the Dandies on the Beeb refer to Cosgrove), how many penalties has he converted in failing to achieve joint top scorer status?

• 2 weeks later...

MONEY PIT

Fury as new £32m BBC Scotland channel gets ZERO viewers on 21 shows as over-75s’ free licences axed

• By John Lucas
  • 18 Jun 2019, 7:55
  • Updated: 18 Jun 2019, 9:54

THE BBC is defending a new £32million channel on which 21 programmes had no viewers at all.

The dud output at BBC Scotland has sparked fury while free TV licences for the over-75s face the axe.

The Nine, a short news broadcast on the new BBC channel is one of a number of shows that was watched by no one
The Nine, a short news broadcast on the new BBC channel is one of a number of shows that was watched by no oneCredit: BBC

The channel launched in February with initial average audience figures at just under 60,000, before slumping to 19,000 by May 25.

Figures between February 24 and June 2 reveal 21 shows had no audience at all on some occasions. On one day in May an average of just 7,200 people watched.

Discussion show, The Collective, peaked on May 9 with 11,700, while an episode on May 2 featuring dominatrix Megara Furie had zero. Four out of 19 broadcasts of Tune, which features local bands, went unwatched, according to TV industry research firm Overnights.TV.

Two episodes of showbiz offering The Edit and several editions of The Nine news show also had no viewers, reported the Scottish Mail on Sunday.

Professor of journalism and former BBC editor Tim Luckhurst said the channel was only launched to pander to the SNP, adding: “The figures are deplorable.”

It comes as nearly 800,000 signed petitions demanding plans to cut free licences for the over-75s are axed.

John O’Connell of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said: “This must be particularly infuriating for pensioners.”

The BBC said it is “not unusual” for some digital channels to have low figures.

A spokesman said: “There were only 21 instances during core hours when zero audiences were recorded over February 24 to June 2. Seven were one-minute editions of The Seven just as the channel comes on air.

“The remaining 14 were all after 11pm when TV audiences to all channels are in sharp decline.”

The Collective peaked at 11,700 viewers, but an episode featuring dominatrix Megara Furie had zero
The Collective peaked at 11,700 viewers, but an episode featuring dominatrix Megara Furie had zero
The BBC has defended the channel saying it is 'not unusual' for some digital channels to have low audience figures
The BBC has defended the channel saying it is 'not unusual' for some digital channels to have low audience figuresCredit: Getty Images - Getty

It is time the BBC had to earn their own money. They have a free hand to do what they want without any financial consequences now.