Pacific Quay Musings?

8 hours ago, DMAA said:

I was listening on Saturday and they were honestly saying Arsenal wasn’t a big enough club for Tierney. And I’m sure they said Celtic should hold out for £30m. It was like listening to a Celtic fans podcast. 

That's because ALL the pundits on it were Celtic fans

Pat Bonnar

Jim Duffy

James McFadden

Presented by David Currie (?)

-------------------

What is and has been happening for a while now is that Celtic get the lions share of attention and the rest are allocated time according to wee provincial club status,...unless of course there is something negative to focus upon and then the spotlight gets shone towards Ibrox. 

The disparity is partly down to a lack of direct communication between the club and PQ (eg. post match interview with manager) but it I'd estimate that explains only around 20-25% of the difference.

The Teirney stuff is bizarre and lacking in any self awareness. He's a decent player, with a concerning injury record playing in a secondary European league. To suggest Arsenal aren't good enough for him is deluded. I'm amazed a club the size of Arsenal are even considering buying him. I genuinely thought he'd join a good Championship or smaller EPL side and if he does well there then a move to one of the big English sides might happen. Hutton, who was a better player at that stage in my opinion, struggled at Spurs, it's a big jump from the SPFL to the big English sides. If he leaves Celtic I hope he does well, if he stays I hope his injuries are chronic and he spends next season in the stand. In the end Celtic have him under contract and can play hard ball at this stage of the summer, that might change as the summer goes on. 

Sportsound stopped dealing in reality a long time ago, it's fanzine levels of balance these days.  

1 hour ago, buster. said:

That's because ALL the pundits on it were Celtic fans

Pat Bonnar

Jim Duffy

James McFadden

Presented by David Currie (?)

-------------------

What is and has been happening for a while now is that Celtic get the lions share of attention and the rest are allocated time according to wee provincial club status,...unless of course there is something negative to focus upon and then the spotlight gets shone towards Ibrox. 

The disparity is partly down to a lack of direct communication between the club and PQ (eg. post match interview with manager) but it I'd estimate that explains only around 20-25% of the difference.

I do find it difficult to understand how Rangers, who are probably the most supported team in Scotland, fails to have any representatives when it comes to ex-players, fans, representatives on BBC Scotland. Just another statistical anomaly we live with in this country.

36 minutes ago, StuGers said:

I do find it difficult to understand how Rangers, who are probably the most supported team in Scotland, fails to have any representatives when it comes to ex-players, fans, representatives on BBC Scotland. Just another statistical anomaly we live with in this country.

Equally, I dont get how the club cant point it out.

Simply provide some stats for the season. 

If say, 60% of pundits have been celtic fans or players, 70% spent talking about celtic games, 99% of Rangers mentions/topics involve negative incidents etc...

They'll just keep doing it until its stopped. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

To suggest Arsenal aren't good enough for him is deluded

It was hard to listen to tbh, I was just doing a wee run to the dump but couldn’t keep it on for long. They were seriously saying it would need to be a title challenger like Man City or Liverpool to take him away from the club he loves, winning silverware. And Turnbull is the next Iniesta too by the way. And Rangers did get a mention, we don’t have saleable assets like Celtic do. Fanzine is exactly the word. 

Edited by DMAA

And by the way I think Andrew Robertson is a gift to Celtic in terms of inflating Tierney's value. Suddenly there's an example of a Scottish left back who has gone all the way.

I'm less concerned about pundits talking up his price, I struggle to believe that it makes much difference other than heighten or temper fan expectations. Tierney has Champion's League and international experience, is young and under contract so anyone wanting to buy him will have to pay a decent fee for him. I'd be astonished if it's £25 million though, indeed I'd have thought £10 to £12 mil even in the inflated English market is good business for Celtic. That said football transfers are mental these days. Chelsea sold a full back to Torino for £9 million earlier this month and I'd never heard of him (Ola Aina anyone?), indeed he only played 3 times for Chelsea. I guess if a 22 year old Chelsea reserve player with half dozen caps for Nigeria is worth £9 million then maybe someone like Tierney is worth double that. 

It does make you realise though that if Morelos can sort his discipline problem and score consistently in Europe he's potentially worth £20 plus million. 

19 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm less concerned about pundits talking up his price, I struggle to believe that it makes much difference other than heighten or temper fan expectations. Tierney has Champion's League and international experience, is young and under contract so anyone wanting to buy him will have to pay a decent fee for him. I'd be astonished if it's £25 million though, indeed I'd have thought £10 to £12 mil even in the inflated English market is good business for Celtic. That said football transfers are mental these days. Chelsea sold a full back to Torino for £9 million earlier this month and I'd never heard of him (Ola Aina anyone?), indeed he only played 3 times for Chelsea. I guess if a 22 year old Chelsea reserve player with half dozen caps for Nigeria is worth £9 million then maybe someone like Tierney is worth double that. 

It does make you realise though that if Morelos can sort his discipline problem and score consistently in Europe he's potentially worth £20 plus million. 

For some (not all) clubs and Chairman the market is set through Sky Sports. They are applauded for bigger fees, goaded into breaking records. 

It must have an effect on some level, because it looks like they're told to do it. Even if it gets £1m more Teirney and £1m less for Morelos, or is simply screen time the club. For our club trying to catch up that £2,000,000 swing could be huge. And all for the price of a free bar and some media gigs for Hartson and Sutton.  

You might well be right RR, and of course matching fan expectations does make life easier for a board. Certainly the transfer fee has a bearing on what you might expect of a player. Clubs not matching their rivals can get criticised, particularly if form is poor. I always laugh when a manager is sacked and pundits state that he was backed by the board in the transfer market, as if it was all down to the manager that the club wasted their budget that summer. 

I agree though that if there's any possibility it could add a couple of million to a fee it's a strategy worth pursuing. 

5 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

You might well be right RR, and of course matching fan expectations does make life easier for a board. Certainly the transfer fee has a bearing on what you might expect of a player. Clubs not matching their rivals can get criticised, particularly if form is poor. I always laugh when a manager is sacked and pundits state that he was backed by the board in the transfer market, as if it was all down to the manager that the club wasted their budget that summer. 

I agree though that if there's any possibility it could add a couple of million to a fee it's a strategy worth pursuing. 

It's hard to argue against Morelos being targeted last season. The BBC went for him full bore. That hysteria caught up with him, opposition players and officials.

(I cant quite explain the ref in UFA though lol ).