Pacific Quay Musings?

15 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Forgive me I’m not enthused that they have been strong armed to approaching one programme offering parity of coverage?

This is it. They could flip to totally fair coverage from here on in. Just pretend everything else hasnt happened. It doesnt undo the years of muck we've been served up, or the fact that the people serving it are still running the show.  

5 hours ago, Rick Roberts said:

This is it. They could flip to totally fair coverage from here on in. Just pretend everything else hasnt happened. It doesnt undo the years of muck we've been served up, or the fact that the people serving it are still running the show.  

They should never, ever, be welcome back to Ibrox! I don't get why Rangers FC should ever feel the need to? we don't need them!.

Rangers FC should ban all BBC correspondents from Ibrox Stadium.  

All we have done, so far, is correctly revoked the press privileges of McLaughlin...and he absolutely deserved it.

Sometimes it's good to get on the front foot.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Rangers FC should ban all BBC correspondents from Ibrox Stadium.  

All we have done, so far, is correctly revoked the press privileges of McLaughlin...and he absolutely deserved it.

Sometimes it's good to get on the front foot.

Don't agree with that Gonzo. That's a nuclear option and while it might sound exactly like what we have at the moment, it's not.

In withdrawing McLaughlin's privileges we did the right thing. BBC Scotland chose to twist that as an attack on journalistic freedom when the BBC down south did no such thing when Man Utd and other clubs chose to ban individual journalists. They simply sent along someone else and coverage continued as normal. They have not been consistent and we have not called them out strongly enough for it.

Now consider what happens if Steven Gerrard leads Rangers to the SPL title this season. Former England captain and potential future Liverpool manager wins a title in Scotland as an almost rookie and achieves part of the redemption he is seeking for not having won a league title in a glittering career as a player in England. Don't you think the BBC nationally will be forced to cover that and get an interview with the man? Of course they will because they would look incompetent and stupid compared to all the other media companies that will be desperate to do it. That's the point when if need be the big bosses in the Sports Department will tell Pacific Quay to fuck themselves and send someone from London to do the job that BBC Scotland are incapable of doing. We just need to win the league and then we can't be ignored. Gerrard is box office and a winning Gerrard is like gold, all across the UK.

If we ban all BBC journalists, not just McLoughlin (who we have bang to rights), then we have completely burnt that bridge and BBC Scotland can still duck the scenario I have outlined above. At the moment the bridge is still there but nobody is allowed to cross it by the clowns at PQ. Winning the league under Gerrard means the BBC have to cover the story and cross that bridge or they will look like complete idiots to everyone outside Scotland as well as inside.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Former England captain and potential future Liverpool manager wins a title in Scotland as an almost rookie and achieves part of the redemption he is seeking for not having won a league title in a glittering career as a player in England. Don't you think the BBC nationally will be forced to cover that and get an interview with the man? Of course they will because they would look incompetent and stupid compared to all the other media companies that will be desperate to do it

Which would be a fair reflection of their output, hence my desire to make it more widely known.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

If we ban all BBC journalists, not just McLoughlin (who we have bang to rights), then we have completely burnt that bridge

Again, that's exactly what I want to happen.

I don't think your point of view is wrong.  It's reasonable enough.  But I think the time for diplomacy has come to an end.

31 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't think your point of view is wrong.  It's reasonable enough.  But I think the time for diplomacy has come to an end.

I can see your argument too Gonzo and I sympathise with your anger and frustration. We have been treated terribly by BBC Scotland and we should not have to put up with it. However before Gerrard arrived there was not a cat in hell's chance of that changing because nobody gave a fuck about Murty or Pedro beyond the Scottish media. Gerrard is different. If he leads Rangers to 55 then I think the BBC can't ignore it even if the pygmies at PQ want to.

Happy to agree to disagree.