Pacific Quay Musings?

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

Question for @26th of foot if I may...

In recent weeks, I´ve picked up on what I think is a slight change in PQ output when it comes to us.

It´s not a fair balance, but an attempt to take the sneering/hate out of the voice when expressing their bias.

I´d cite Big Dick as the main exponent of this modified approach.

Is there anything in this or is it my imagination ?

Although not BBC - I'd thought that of Andy Walker on occasions this season. Almost like he'd been biting his tongue from the first whistle. Mind you, he never once managed the full game, and his performance for the Motherwell game was as bad and biased as anything i'd heard, including Sutton. 

22 minutes ago, Rick Roberts said:

Although not BBC - I'd thought that of Andy Walker on occasions this season. Almost like he'd been biting his tongue from the first whistle. Mind you, he never once managed the full game, and his performance for the Motherwell game was as bad and biased as anything i'd heard, including Sutton. 

Can´t really comment on Walker as I only very occasionally have to listen to him.

Edited by buster.
can you be grammar dyslexic ?

I hope you'll agree that this is relevant to post here, because the government today fired a shot across the bow of the BBC due to its bias.  We don't want to get in to a political debate here, but there's no doubt that this government's direction of travel is to remove the licence fee.  At the very least they've 'suggested' that no one should be taken to court over not paying it.  Isn't that a clear signal that you can choose not to pay without consequence?

I believe this could be the end of the BBC as we know it.  It might continue to be biased after this, but ta least we are not paying for it.  And I'd also imagine this means that organisations like BBC Sport Scotland then have to cater for a wider audience if they want to survive.  I wonder if that would change their behaviour or if they would rather die in a ditch rather than giving Rangers a fair and balanced coverage.

The end of the road for the BBC and their clique?  I really hope so.

Flowers in the Rain.

Apparently, tomorrow evening on BBC Scotland 2, there is a 25th anniversary show lasting one hour. It is a celebration of BBC Radio Scotland's, 'Off the Ball' presented by both DrStu' and Tam Cowan. It is described as petty and ill-informed and promises the hilarious inside story. I am sure there will be lots of anecdotes from all the usual suspects, the cacophony of thigh slapping will grow to a crescendo, only matched by DrStu's sniggering hypocrisy. Conveniently, no one involved in contributing will remember that Rangers supporters were habitually referred to as, 'H-u-ns' during the first several years of the show?

The first year saw Tam Cowan and Gregory Hemphill present the show, it was quite sketch show based, with Greg mostly impersonating the then SFA supremo, Jim Farry. It was a dry stick and DrStu was brought in to provide extra edge. It soon became obvious that the cutting edge was utilised to lacerate 'the H-u-ns'. A conveyor belt of fanzine Editors came into the studios and filled their boots, dehumanising, demonising, and marginalising the H-u-ns. Notably, no Rangers 'zine Editor would trap and in the name of balance they found a Janitor from a Largs Primary School to represent Bears. In true DrStu' scripting, the lad was always presented with the sobriquet, 'the H-u-n with a Heart'!

Now, I have no doubt that such conditioning is embarrassing these days, and we will be urged to forget it occurred. DrStu has been quite anxious these last few years that the Rangers Tax Case Blog is forgotten. We are also encouraged to forget DrStu' s usage of sectarian language in print, bellowing, and constant expressive hatred in his dozen year Daily Record column. DrStu' is a father these days, in his 68th year. He has a 7 year old son, and when not waxing lyrical about his unique charm, he is actively fund raising for the lad's school. A 25th anniversary show is about posterity and DrStu' does not want his son to know his bigoted past.

It's only three years past, since BBC Scotland decided to update, 'Only a Game' on it's 30th anniversary. DrStu' took over William McIlvanney's role as Narrator to bring everything up to date. Reasonable enough, no one was more actively involved in the RTC Blog, and he was most anxious to be heard on the matter. My one complaint was how DrStu' glossed over the single most significant piece of racism to occur in the Scottish game. Mark Walters debut at Celtic Park was on the 2nd of January'88, only two years into his thirty year remit from '86 to '16. He ignored it, completely. This is surprising form the big soulful soulster who never tires of telling how injustice, particularly racial injustice keeps him awake at night?

Well, if he says it did not happen, it did not happen; and it will be the same tomorrow evening, DrStu' does not have a bigoted bone in his body. He is just sitting watching flowers in the rain, watching his garden grow. It's the thing about Off the Ball, it was the in, that lead to the weekly 'Media Review' where DrStu' uses another voice. Similarly, anecdotes reference his young son are often told proving his greater sensitivity than most politicians. Nicola is the exception, "she hasn't put a foot wrong" but DrStu' does not want to be viewed, "as a Bute House sook". Most Rangers supporters are on the same page here, we see you as a self publicising sycophant.

These last dozen years, the show has continually lapsed into a constant stream of self publicity. Tam and DrStu' continue because of the exposure on the national broadcaster. Dinner Nights to be hosted, Book launches to be attended, Speaking engagements to be performed, book signings to be conducted, .................. etc DrStu particularly tells story after story where Channel 4 would have fell on it's ar-se, if DrStu' had not stepped in and brought his foresight and penetrative thought to bear. It's all so worthy because it's all for charidee. Ah mean, what is more worthy than fund raising for your son's primary school? Hosting an Edith Piaf tribute concert for the denizens of Dennistoun, or co-hosting, 'an Evening with Stuart and Tam' at St Lukes, launching a press conference at A'Challtainn, ........ all publicised above any other worthy acts. 

It's worth it, the Chair of St Dennis's PTA praised DrStu', "a valuable member of the St Dennis family". I don't know if this is because the substantial funds raised, or is it the venues of said events are all withing thirty yards of the Squirrel Bar, HQ of the Green Brigade? Tam got his appeat in on Saturday night, asking the Ref' to be aware of Morelos, his diving and wee kick-outs off the ball. You see the power of the national broadcaster/

Anyways, the similarity between all those bright young things on the steps of Broadcasting House in 1967, about to take the reigns of BBC Radio One. If a Gersnetter could post that black and white photo, I would be obliged. There's Pete Murray, Tony Blackburn, David Jacobs, Kenny Everette, Jimmy Saville, John Peel, DLT, Ed Stewart, David Hamilton, Terry Wogan, .................. etc. How quickly it became about opening supermarkets, Disco and Club appearances, plugging their own discs, and their own political pronouncements. It sums up BBC Scotland best these days. It is all about cultivation and making one's garden grow.

May I suggest an idea for DrStu's fund raiser for his son's school next year? St Dennis was an early Christian martyr. suffered decapitation. Incredibly, St Denis shook off the shock, picked up his head and walked the several miles back into Paris; all the while preaching a sermon on repentance. If DrStu' replicates, I'll chip in, it will make a change from him constantly talking out his arse?