Pacific Quay Musings?

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

This is my favourite thread in all of Rangers messageboard-dom, I look forward to 26th’s posts, they are invariably witty, prescient and well written. I don’t know 26th, I’ve never spoken to him far less met him, so like so many people you see online you create your own impression of them based on what they post. These assumptions could be well wide of reality of course, I suspect most of us are a lot more nuanced in real life than online. 

Anyway, for what it’s worth I don’t think 26th of Foot is anti-Irish, but I can understand how a new poster only reading posts 2149 and 2150 might think he is. I’d recommend a wider reading of 26th’s posts PoohBear, they’re usually pretty good. 

I too have an Irish wife, (and will soon have children sporting Irish passports, thanks for that Brexit…) and spent a few years living on that side of the Irish Sea. It certainly gave me a different perspective on things, particularly on the nuances we all have. I don’t know what ‘anti-British’ actually means. Do we mean the Irish government is ‘anti-British’? Is it the Irish people? All of them? Most of them? Just a minority perhaps? And are they anti everyone and everything in Britain, just the government perhaps, or maybe certain politicians and policies? It’s a difficult thing to define, isn’t it. 

So here’s my experience, others will have had different ones. Ireland has a complicated relationship with the UK. The war of independence and its precursors and aftermath still play a big part in the culture of the country. This year has already seen controversy as we approach important centenaries in Irish history. But in the 25 years I’ve been visiting Ireland it has changed enormously. Ireland was a very conservative country, wary of change and slow to adopt many of the things other European countries took for granted. There is no way an openly gay man of half Asian parentage could have become Irish Prime Minister 25 years ago for example. The influence of the Catholic Church is diminished to be almost irrelevant now, certainly in terms of governmental policy and wider cultural norms. From the top down it’s a very different country to the one I first visited. 

In terms of their relationship with the UK it’s fair to say it’s complicated. Almost everyone in the Republic of Ireland has family in the UK, they’ve all visited, they’ve all consumed ‘British’ culture from the day they were born, be that music, television or, to try and get relevant again, sport. The best supported football team in the whole of Ireland is Manchester United. Second best supported is Liverpool. Very few people take much interest in ‘local’ football, both north and South of the border. It’s not a great standard and English football has been available to watch live for decades now, long before the advent of Sky. Most Irish I speak to treat Scottish football with a mix of curiosity and disdain. Most will ‘have a Scottish team’, this normally takes the form of a side they’d rather see win but wouldn’t actually cross the road to watch. In the North this is usually Rangers, elsewhere Celtic are more popular. I’ve pointed out the error of this many times, but it can be hard to argue when one side is flying Irish flags and, well, the other side isn’t. But in actual fact most of them couldn’t care less who wins in Scotland, they’d rather talk about Rashford or Mane. 

I’ve met bigots in Ireland. Small minded, scared people incapable of seeing the other persons point of view. Some of them were inconsequential and easily ignored, some of them, unfortunately, were harder to ignore. But Ireland is complicated, its history has created things that are hard. I’m not Arlene Foster’s biggest fan, but I can see why seeing your father shot outside your house and having your school bus bombed might colour how you see life and the compromises you’re willing to make. Likewise I can now understand why someone from the Creggan might not see the Poppy symbol in the same way I do. We don’t all have to see the world the same way. 

For what it’s worth my Irish wife has been largely made very welcome in Scotland. She considers Glasgow her home, we chose to raise our children here, almost everyone is friendly to her. But, on rare occasions there have been snide remarks, the occasional insult, sometimes not intended, but felt all the same. Someone recently was incredulous that she got to vote in the General Election (she’s lived in Scotland for 17 years and the UK for 25) and told her she had no right to a say in what happened ‘here’. There are morons everywhere, Ireland has some, Scotland does too. Don’t judge an entire country on them is my one piece of advice. 

Take a bow sir. 

22 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

My wife is South African and South Africans are a set of b@stards (apart from Johnny Hubbard).  Just thought I'd mention that, whilst we're on the "my wife is..." topic.

Kich - well, he was our bastard.

Last evening, prior to the match and the Gang Hut are excited that Morelos has a calf strain, and starts on the bench. Pat Bonner offers the Columbian is a very good player. However, he is most dependent upon service, "otherwise, he is just an ordinary player". Here's me thinking that Alfredo was quite the extraordinary player, because he has an ability to tie up both central defenders with or without service. What do I know? At least, I expected one of four voices on mike to dissent on such a green tinted view?

Post match and I climb into my car to drive home. I turn on the radio for the Gang Hut's coverage and discover David Currie hosting from McDiarmid Park. Liam McLeod has provided live commentary of St Johnstove v ra Sellik. Pat Bonner supplies colour commentary and Martin Dowden is on touchline duty. I hear the last 15 minutes of the show and all but thirty seconds is the foursome discussing ra Sellik's devastating crushing of the Saints. Our score is given once by Currie, no mention of scorers. Martin Dowden("a good Celtic man") interviews both Neil Lennon and Tommy Wright. 

The last thirty seconds are taken up by John Barnes, he is in the studio fulfilling 'being all across events at Ibrox'. He told us that Saints Keeper, Zander Clark had been the target of a thrown bottle, from the Celtic support; in the immediate of the third goal, it missed narrowly.

Interestingly, none of the four BBC representatives at McDiarmid Park saw the incident. Further, the bottle throwing is not reported in BBC Scotland's match report, either on Ceefax or on the website. However, Sportscene are reporting the incident, including showing footage, but no discussion. 

I expect John Barnes to be called into the Gang Hut for interview without coffee, biscuits, and chair? John has strayed off message and must be subject to necessary conditioning.