Pacific Quay Musings?

16 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Do you think that BBC Scotland would be interested in my new sitcom "A Life of Slice", showcasing the everyday antics  and happenings of the kenspeckle characters who work in the Lorne sausage factory?

Perhaps I'm not a man of modern times but more often than not, struggle to see the Com part of the modern SitCom.

I once heard Cosgrove say a programme called Two Doors Down was Scotlands best ever comedy. I hadn't seen it but made a point of looking it out and it reminded me of Off the Ball, in that every episode/programme is very, very similar. Cowan and Cosgrove explain the repetitiive conversations away as a feature, tropes of the show. Then BBC Scotland gave them an extra hour and a half after Saturday Sportsound to let them repeat the repetitions, this being to replace what was a much more interesting hour hosted by Kenny MacIntrye that often got into the nitty gritty of issues.

In the week that Jim McLean passed on after suffering with dementia. 

Could BBC Scotland look to lessen the repetition and stimulate the mind?

ps. I look forward to reading the scripts #"A Life of Slice"

Edited by buster.

17 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Do you think that BBC Scotland would be interested in my new sitcom "A Life of Slice", showcasing the everyday antics  and happenings of the kenspeckle characters who work in the Lorne sausage factory?

Back in the day in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, there were moderately priced Butchers that eeked out their square sausage with gristle, fat, and floor sweepings. They were known as, 'Pink Lint Butchers'. Evolution stepped in, and some Butchers added red vegetable dye; these became known as, 'Rid Skwerr Butchers'. 

I suspect a 'Slice of Rid Skwerr Life' would set the palpitations going in the PQ Gang Hut? Anything square has Masonic connotations. Who would play Saint Basil?

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Back in the day in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, there were moderately priced Butchers that eeked out their square sausage with gristle, fat, and floor sweepings. They were known as, 'Pink Lint Butchers'. Evolution stepped in, and some Butchers added red vegetable dye; these became known as, 'Rid Skwerr Butchers'. 

I suspect a 'Slice of Rid Skwerr Life' would set the palpitations going in the PQ Gang Hut? Anything square has Masonic connotations. Who would play Saint Basil?

A friend of mine attended a posh school for girls, in Glasgow, and some years ago we discussed the standard (ie the full horror) of our respective Dinner Schools. 

In her institution they often served an indeterminate cold cut, which the girls, she said,  called "Pink Lint". I replied that we had a more robust name for the same, or very similar delicacy: "Knob Meat". 

It took a couple of seconds, during which her expression changed from puzzlement, to realisation, to laughter. She was convulsed for some time. 

I suspect that if only the girls had known (these were more innocent times) they would have staged a hunger strike.

As to The Life of Slice, I have not, yet, considered casting.

The #MeToo thing has hindered this, considerably. 

To the best of my knowledge (which in the subject of the Lorne sausage is very, very, far from unlimited) neither basil, nor any other herb, whatsoever, comes near the product, as such addition, even in the smidgeon, would be seen as  impairing the flavour, and that irredeemably, no matter the amount of ketchup or brown sauce applied. 

Edited by Uilleam

I note former English Premiership and Sellik supporting Referee, Dermot Gallagher has decreed the Hagi/Newell incident, no penalty. Further, given Newell's clutch of his face whilst throwing himself to the ground and clearly no contact, Gallagher suggests a caution to Newell.

Again, the Bully Michael Stewart shouting, "that's a penalty all day' twice on Sportscene, needs to be readdressed.

15 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I note former English Premiership and Sellik supporting Referee, Dermot Gallagher has decreed the Hagi/Newell incident, no penalty. Further, given Newell's clutch of his face whilst throwing himself to the ground and clearly no contact, Gallagher suggests a caution to Newell.

Again, the Bully Michael Stewart shouting, "that's a penalty all day' twice on Sportscene, needs to be readdressed.

Picking myself up after being laid prone by an errant plume from a living room cushion whilst availing myself of Dermot’s latest observations, I managed to steel myself sufficiently in order to read Andrew Picken’s accompanying essay to PQ’s documentary on the Ibrox Disaster hosted on the BBC News homepage.

It seems from my cursory exposure to Picken’s treatment of the subject, by way of said essay, is that no Rangers FC employee or Rangers inclined supporter is afforded an input to the investigative discourse. Contrast this with the unquestionable humanity imbued with any mention of our separated brethren that transcends any tribal triviality.

Did the televisual offering achieve a balanced view? I’m not sure that my blood pressure could take it were I to find out for myself.

Of course, solidarity from the News and Current Affairs department can be counted upon; or am I reaching all too conveniently for a tin foil head covering?

Mmmm.

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Picking myself up after being laid prone by an errant plume from a living room cushion whilst availing myself of Dermot’s latest observations, I managed to steel myself sufficiently in order to read Andrew Picken’s accompanying essay to PQ’s documentary on the Ibrox Disaster hosted on the BBC News homepage.

It seems from my cursory exposure to Picken’s treatment of the subject, by way of said essay, is that no Rangers FC employee or Rangers inclined supporter is afforded an input to the investigative discourse. Contrast this with the unquestionable humanity imbued with any mention of our separated brethren that transcends any tribal triviality.

Did the televisual offering achieve a balanced view? I’m not sure that my blood pressure could take it were I to find out for myself.

Of course, solidarity from the News and Current Affairs department can be counted upon; or am I reaching all too conveniently for a tin foil head covering?

Mmmm.

I watched BBC Scotland's Disclosure documentary on the Ibrox Disaster last evening, it was a hard watch.

I think it was a fair representation of events, principally they utilised the memories of three Celtic supporters from Markinch, Fife. They grew up on the same streets as the five barely teenage lads that perished on stairway 13. Their supporters bus returned complete, whereas RSC bus returned minus those lads and others injured. The dichotomy was startling, but treated sensitively with compassion.

I know we will want to discuss events 50 years past, but I ask respectively, we keep it off the BBC Scotland pages. Perhaps, after tomorrow afternoon's game at St Mirren, I will post my memories. My old man and I descended Stairway 13 five minutes before tragedy struck on the 2nd January'71.

No offence was intended on my part and I wouldn’t want to needlessly impinge on the solemn nature of such a poignant anniversary. Although I don’t have any direct familial connection to the events of that fateful day, I do know someone who came perilously close to being involved in the carnage.

For this reason, I try to keep abreast of any coverage that is given to the disaster despite finding it difficult to consume. The last thing that I would want to do is belittle people’s memories by inviting scrutiny of the BBC’s output on the subject (or any other media outlet’s reporting for that matter) for the sake of petty point scoring or dare I say it, a cheap laugh.

I merely sought to point out that any interaction between the BBC and anyone directly connected to Rangers contained in the essay was conspicuous by its absence. If I’ve inadvertently been disrespectful through bringing this up on the thread, then please accept my apologies.

Having watched the aforementioned BBC Disclosure documentary, I would have to agree it was a hard watch. Overall it was a fair representation of the facts. However, the last few minutes of the programme disappointed me (although I somewhat expected it) when the focus seemed to shift to the culpability of RFC to the tragic events of 1971, 1962 and before. In my view it left the viewer with the impression that Rangers were the only contributor in Scottish football ever to suffer crowd fatality and injury, and everyone else are blameless and above reproach.  @Soulsonic5791 comment on "petty point scoring"  has more than a ring of truth about it. Then again, maybe it is just my paranoia on most of PQ's journalistic offerings on RFC in the last 10 years or so.

I hope ra Sellik splash the cash for both Tom Anguish and Michael Stewart to accompany the team to Dubai.

During commentary, Michael wanted to see the incident again, but was sure it was NOT a red card. Tom anguished, then concluded, "the red card is harsh". 

By the time Sportscene is broadcast, Michael will be certain that Morelos should have been red carded and demanding the Compliance Officer takes action. Further, despite the ball being a curving ball, Morelos ahead of Bitton not having to break stride, and Bitton having both arms around the Columbian; Michael will provide conclusive geometry, proving the Referee was biased in his decision making.

Ooooh ah, ra desert and ra camels, the cod liver oil and the orange juice Loyal RSC.