Pacific Quay Musings?

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Does anyone actually think the MOTY counts for anything or that Gerrard and Rangers give a monkey's who gets it? Everyone knows how Scottish football operates, there are no surprises.

I believe more and more people are seeing it for the worthless bauble it is. It has been of absolutely no value in my eyes since 2005, when it was jointly awarded to John Hartson & Fernando Ricksen. Hartson was about the 3rd or 4th best player in the tims team that year, and Ricksen probably 5th or so best player for us. I'm pretty sure neither player won their own club's award that year. 

32 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I believe more and more people are seeing it for the worthless bauble it is. It has been of absolutely no value in my eyes since 2005, when it was jointly awarded to John Hartson & Fernando Ricksen. Hartson was about the 3rd or 4th best player in the tims team that year, and Ricksen probably 5th or so best player for us. I'm pretty sure neither player won their own club's award that year. 

Ricksen was Superb that year. Leaving that aside it was the Players player of the year. We were expected to believe that with thousands of votes a draw resulted. 

Hartson should have been no where near it. 

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

There are two 'Manager of the Year' awards. The first, and most prestigious, is the PFA Scotland Manager Of The Year award. This is voted on by professional players and coaches and is seen as the ultimate recognition by your peers. As I understand it you can't vote for a team mate or your own manager. 

The second award is the Scottish Football Writers 'Manager of the Year'. This is voted on by the sports hacks and scribes who follow the Scottish game. 

There is no doubt personality and overall popularity play a part in these awards, not just ability. I've heard it said that some players will vote based on who they supported as a kid (and indeed still support), but the majority tend to vote based on who they feel has been the best over the season. As for the football writers I suspect personal preference and some toadying up play a big part too. 

It's hard to look past Gerrard and Tav for manager and player double currently, but it's only January and a lot could still happen. I don't get the impression either are unpopular with their peers and behave like complete professionals at all times. But as has been eloquently expressed in this thread already, who really cares. There's only one prize any of us care both of them winning this season. 

If Martindale can steer Livingston into the top 6 and win a cup then you have to say that's been a pretty impressive season for him. With their resources and considering their position when he took over and all the background noise about his past, he's done pretty well. Taking 4 points off Celtic in the space of a few days and reach the League Cup Final should see him get the trophy for this month I'd have thought. But Gerrard's presided over continual improvement for 3 seasons now, each time getting better and better until we see where we are now, and all through the liberal use of Nescafe too apparently. Perhaps he should get a Michelin star as well as Manager of the Year. 

2 points