Pacific Quay Musings?

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Funnily enough I don't have a problem with them lionising Lennon. If you actually are a Celtic supporter then he probably deserves the title 'legend'. He played over 200 games for them and has managed them twice, that certainly should earn him a place in their virtual hall of fame. He won trophies as a player and as a manager, we have to accept that. I think there will always be a question mark over all the titles he won, but he won the Scottish Cup and League Cup last season, so credit where credit is due. Celtic have only lost 4 league matches this season, 2 of them to us. That's not a terrible record by any rational measurement. But their support's reaction to our imperious form has been hysterical, in both senses of the word. Our loss to St Mirren in the League Cup was no worse than theirs to Ross County, yet we didn't try and storm the stadium afterwards. They had a torrid time in Europe, again something that almost all Scottish sides experience. Almost all. Lennon's biggest problem is his support and his directors, and probably himself, weren't prepared for how good we've been this season. Not only have we been imperious in the league but we've been wonderful in Europe too. 

In my opinion Lennon is actually a better than average manager. His spell at Bolton apart, and they were in a bad way when he was manager, he's won trophies at Celtic and got Hibs promoted and had them playing decent football when in the SPFL. I suspect he'll get another job in management and don't be surprised if he does fairly well. Writing Lennon off as a buffoon demeans what we're on the brink of achieving this season. Lennon's problem is he's not Steven Gerrard, Lennon's problem is the Celtic 'support' have abandoned him at the first sign of difficulty, unlike our support who traipsed the fishing towns and former pit villages of Scotland to support our side. I don't like Lennon's public persona, indeed I struggle to think of a player I have ever disliked more than Lennon, and I've enjoyed watching him flounder recently, but while ridiculing him let's remember he was an experienced manager with a strong squad and transfer budget at his disposal, and this Rangers side were simply too good for him. 

I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said but the counterpoints in my mind are that I think that he is a manager that has quite a short shelf life unless he finds different ways to motivate his players.  That may be the way with modern football generally in terms of managerial changes, but here's only so many times he can bollock his players to better performances and results.  

He was regularly throwing individuals under the bus and the club, presumably with his blessing, strong-armed players to stay with them this season when clearly they were eyeing up moves elsewhere.   

Over his time, the coaching and structure put in place to very good effect under Rodgers was slowly eroded.  Add in his very poor judgement of players in terms of recruitment, and I'm left wondering whether he has simply been left behind by the more modern, tactically astute and technical approach epitomised by our management team.  The contrast is stark in my view.

Edited by stewarty

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Funnily enough I don't have a problem with them lionising Lennon. If you actually are a Celtic supporter then he probably deserves the title 'legend'. He played over 200 games for them and has managed them twice, that certainly should earn him a place in their virtual hall of fame. He won trophies as a player and as a manager, we have to accept that. I think there will always be a question mark over all the titles he won, but he won the Scottish Cup and League Cup last season, so credit where credit is due. Celtic have only lost 4 league matches this season, 2 of them to us. That's not a terrible record by any rational measurement. But their support's reaction to our imperious form has been hysterical, in both senses of the word. Our loss to St Mirren in the League Cup was no worse than theirs to Ross County, yet we didn't try and storm the stadium afterwards. They had a torrid time in Europe, again something that almost all Scottish sides experience. Almost all. Lennon's biggest problem is his support and his directors, and probably himself, weren't prepared for how good we've been this season. Not only have we been imperious in the league but we've been wonderful in Europe too. 

In my opinion Lennon is actually a better than average manager. His spell at Bolton apart, and they were in a bad way when he was manager, he's won trophies at Celtic and got Hibs promoted and had them playing decent football when in the SPFL. I suspect he'll get another job in management and don't be surprised if he does fairly well. Writing Lennon off as a buffoon demeans what we're on the brink of achieving this season. Lennon's problem is he's not Steven Gerrard, Lennon's problem is the Celtic 'support' have abandoned him at the first sign of difficulty, unlike our support who traipsed the fishing towns and former pit villages of Scotland to support our side. I don't like Lennon's public persona, indeed I struggle to think of a player I have ever disliked more than Lennon, and I've enjoyed watching him flounder recently, but while ridiculing him let's remember he was an experienced manager with a strong squad and transfer budget at his disposal, and this Rangers side were simply too good for him. 

dinosaur of a manager who bullies his players into some initial success then implodes. 

Tonight, BBC Radio Scotland ended their 'coverage' of Rangers home Europa Cup tie against Royal Antwerp at 20.04 hrs. 

The final whistle blew at 19.48 hrs. There was 15 minutes of post match discussion which did not include any mention of the co-efficient. Michael Stewart did bang on for nearly a minute about Progres Nieiderkorn. Big Dick did reveal the draw for the last 16 is tomorrow at Noon.

15 hours ago, stewarty said:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said but the counterpoints in my mind are that I think that he is a manager that has quite a short shelf life unless he finds different ways to motivate his players.  That may be the way with modern football generally in terms of managerial changes, but here's only so many times he can bollock his players to better performances and results.  

He was regularly throwing individuals under the bus and the club, presumably with his blessing, strong-armed players to stay with them this season when clearly they were eyeing up moves elsewhere.   

Over his time, the coaching and structure put in place to very good effect under Rodgers was slowly eroded.  Add in his very poor judgement of players in terms of recruitment, and I'm left wondering whether he has simply been left behind by the more modern, tactically astute and technical approach epitomised by our management team.  The contrast is stark in my view.

Yes, all fair points. The rumours of how his Hibs tenure ended certainly back up what you're saying. I think I'm just touchy to any narrative that suggests somehow our success this season is down to Celtic having a poor manager, I don't think they did, he just isn't as good as ours.