Pacific Quay Musings?

11 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

dinosaur of a manager who bullies his players into some initial success then implodes. 

You might be right. I understand his style is based around relying on two or three match winning players being supported by everyone else in the team. This was not unlike Walter Smith's Rangers in his first term, but is miles from Gerrard's 'total football' philosophy. I think he is able to organise and motivate players, at least initially, but as @stewarty points out above that can only last for so long. Anyway, nothing was funnier or more enjoyable than watching his own fans turn on him, that's got to have hurt. 

11 hours ago, Frankie said:

With a broad smile, Neil Lennon spat on a Rangers scarf (wrongly) thrown at him 20 yards from my seat in the Copland nearly 20 years ago so the pretense he's some sort of misunderstood angel will never, ever wash with me.

But, like it or not, many Celtic fans will see him as a legend. 

That's fair enough, however, I always thought BBC journalists, and their chief sportswriters at that, were meant to be objective and tell all parts of a story.  It always amazes me how the bad: the spitting, the cheating, his own bigotry and the misogynistic, threatening behaviour off the park are always ignored to treat him as some sort of victim.

He's a nasty piece of work and I sincerely hope this is the last we see of him up here.  

I will second that 

Leaving Lennon to get back to PQM, I saw last night on Sky News the closing fragment of a discussion involving Alistair Bonnington and a bizarre looking woman, whom I had never seen or heard before, the latter grinning vacuously and hee hawing, as only weegie wifies can, about Nikla. The piece ended and the presenter thanked Bonnington and the apparition whom he named as Angela Haggerty. 

@26th of foot, be ashamed. You have been far, far too kind to this person. How can someone like this have an authoritative voice in national broadcasting? 

And Goon Shall Speak Unto Goon

44 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

You might be right. I understand his style is based around relying on two or three match winning players being supported by everyone else in the team. This was not unlike Walter Smith's Rangers in his first term, but is miles from Gerrard's 'total football' philosophy. I think he is able to organise and motivate players, at least initially, but as @stewarty points out above that can only last for so long. Anyway, nothing was funnier or more enjoyable than watching his own fans turn on him, that's got to have hurt. 

the only job he hasn't been fairly swiftly sacked from is his first round at celtc where he under performed in the easiest management gig any football manager has ever had. he had a budget 10 times all of his rivals and 20 for most. 

Edited by the gunslinger

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Leaving Lennon to get back to PQM, I saw last night on Sky News the closing fragment of a discussion involving Alistair Bonnington and a bizarre looking woman, whom I had never seen or heard before, the latter grinning vacuously and hee hawing, as only weegie wifies can, about Nikla. The piece ended and the presenter thanked Bonnington and the apparition whom he named as Angela Haggerty. 

@26th of foot, be ashamed. You have been far, far too kind to this person. How can someone like this have an authoritative voice in national broadcasting? 

Angela has been groomed.

She hail hails from the Isle of Bute, has achieved an HND in Journalism from Cardonald College, and is a founder member of Call it Out.

Angela has powerful backers, Kevin McKenna is Godfather to her one year old son, Cosgrove regularly has her on his Podcast, and BBC Scotland love her participation. She is presented as a modern day, every day harassed Mum. Regularly, Janey Godley utilises endless video clips of her son, adds voiceovers and the Nationalists lap it up. During lockdown last year, her ASDA order was late, Angela called Jeanne Freeman. In turn, the Health secretary called the ASDA boss in Scotland to rectify the food order/delivery.

Angela wields considerable power. I have very occasionally heard her being ridiculed by Shereen Nanjiani. Angela regularly appears on Shereen's BBC Radio Scotland's Saturday morning current affairs/chat show. Angela is an unquestioning supporter of the IRA, her Achilles Heel is the murder of Lyra McKee. She reason's the IRA no longer exist, how can they be involved? Again, we have no satire in modern, new Scotland.

Angela will eventually come up against someone who will administer a verbal/cerebral doing. She will react by playing the vicTIM card, she has been groomed.

4 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Point of order, she's not Glaswegian, take your well deserved ire and point it in the direction of Bute. 

In some ways not drawing an English side in lunchtime's draw means BBC Scotland Sport can probably survive the pressure they must now be coming under from headquarters in Manchester for a chat with Gerrard. Had we drawn Man Utd can you imagine Match Of The Day, Football Focus and Five Live just accepting they couldn't speak to Gerrard or McAllister, who they must know fairly well. This might still come to pass of course. 

12 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

In some ways not drawing an English side in lunchtime's draw means BBC Scotland Sport can probably survive the pressure they must now be coming under from headquarters in Manchester for a chat with Gerrard. Had we drawn Man Utd can you imagine Match Of The Day, Football Focus and Five Live just accepting they couldn't speak to Gerrard or McAllister, who they must know fairly well. This might still come to pass of course. 

Good point.

Just after lunchtime today(Friday) and BBC Scotland football has already relegated last night's match report to 8th story. Second story is the Europa Cup last 16 draw, we are informed Slavis Prague await. Further, they defeated Brendan's Leicester and have a stand in their ground named after a former turn of the last century Sellik player. Interestingly, Auntie Beeb(Scotland) have calculated income generated from Europe this season. Apparently, the £8 million or so is much welcomed because Rangers need in excess of £22 million by the end of next season?

The national BBC carried coverage and video action of last night's match(I suspect that would be the Stevie G effect), PQ only carried the result.

When is a Scottish sporting good news story not a story? Of course, anytime Rangers are involved.