Pacific Quay Musings?

All Dressed and Ready to Blow.

I have just heard BBC Scotland's lunchtime News bulletin. As usual, it ended with a weather update and a Sports Desk. We were told all sporting focus is upon the Olympic Games. Further, BBC Scotland's Sports Correspondence, Chris McLaughlin is in Tokyo, having endured yesterday's 12 hour flight. We would have heard an in depth appreciation of factors facing Team GB in the land of the rising sun; however, Chris has been put into isolation after being in close contact with someone who alighted from the plane with Covid. 

I note Chris has taken to Twitter to vent frustration at being told to endure 14 days quarantine in his Hotel room. Even more frustration is visited upon the Chair of Pacific Quay CSC, when he was also told the close contact Athlete does NOT have to isolate. We must pray for Chris, left alone to finger his Bento Box. This set of circumstances must stick in his throat.

Of course, it's Anxious Ange' that is really suffering frustration. Chris has always been there to provide a calming hand to all his predecessors on the cusp of a hugely important Euro fixture. Brendan, Neil, Martin, Peter, ................. and, Dermot have had the experience of Chris before them, on his knees. Still, those warm memories of full throated consummation will provide much needed comfort to lonely Chris.

54 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

All Dressed and Ready to Blow.

I have just heard BBC Scotland's lunchtime News bulletin. As usual, it ended with a weather update and a Sports Desk. We were told all sporting focus is upon the Olympic Games. Further, BBC Scotland's Sports Correspondence, Chris McLaughlin is in Tokyo, having endured yesterday's 12 hour flight. We would have heard an in depth appreciation of factors facing Team GB in the land of the rising sun; however, Chris has been put into isolation after being in close contact with someone who alighted from the plane with Covid. 

I note Chris has taken to Twitter to vent frustration at being told to endure 14 days quarantine in his Hotel room. Even more frustration is visited upon the Chair of Pacific Quay CSC, when he was also told the close contact Athlete does NOT have to isolate. We must pray for Chris, left alone to finger his Bento Box. This set of circumstances must stick in his throat.

Of course, it's Anxious Ange' that is really suffering frustration. Chris has always been there to provide a calming hand to all his predecessors on the cusp of a hugely important Euro fixture. Brendan, Neil, Martin, Peter, ................. and, Dermot have had the experience of Chris before them, on his knees. Still, those warm memories of full throated consummation will provide much needed comfort to lonely Chris.

Stuff them all I hope they all get a four X dose of covid .

Delighted with the poltroon’s predicament but on a serious note, what is bbc scotland doing there as well as    all the regular  bbc performers? Is there a notable Wullie or Wulma McWallace participating?

Because Mrs 7 likes to watch the horses and the gymnasts, the telly’s been on a couple of times so I’ve heard some of the tedious witterings. Coleman, Carpenter, Bough and Pickering, I didn’t realise how good they were until now.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Because Mrs 7 likes to watch the horses and the gymnasts, the telly’s been on a couple of times so I’ve heard some of the tedious witterings. Coleman, Carpenter, Bough and Pickering, I didn’t realise how good they were until now.

From what I've seen the BBC is plumbing new depths with its Olympics coverage. Even for them, this is grindingly awful. 

It's a wonder they didn't have the full outside broadcast unit out yesterday at saint Mary's in glesgas eastend for the unveiling of a statue to commemorate the tottie famine. 

The Full Anguish.

It's been a thing these last 30 years, you get down the local Bistro, Brasserie, Cafe, ... salivating at the thought of the full Scottish. South of the border, it becomes the full English and, in the Province it is presented as the Ulster Fry. Pretty much, it's the same thing. A mixture of eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, ...... etc; accompanied by buttered bread rolls and strong tea. There are variations and options, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, hash browns, haggis, fruit pudding and, kidneys. I am tolerant of all bar the parboiled white beans. I believe a Gentleman should reserve baked beans for supper, preferably at the Ritz Grill.

If we accept a Gentleman does not eat baked beans for breakfast/brunch, I feel it's a short stretch to examine the part played by soda bread in an Ulster Fry. I was Battalion Adjutant some 35 years past and we had just completed one of those monotonous mobilisation exercises, ending up in Fallingbostel for four/five days post exercise reorganisation. Being a Cavalry Depot, the host Regiment was the Inniskillen Dragoon Guards. They made us most welcome, extending an invitation to attend their Mess Sunday brunch for an Ulster Fry.

Waiters placed plates, each containing a tower of thick sliced soda bread, an equal sized slice of pigs liver and, topped with two poached eggs. Putting one's knife through the construction ensured yolk and blood flowed, absorbed by the soda bread. An accompanying goblet of chilled sherry was served thankfully, most necessary in pushing 'the Skins' take on their local cuisine, over the thorax. When my opposite number informed me they had slaughtered the pig and as tradition dictates, served the liver to special guests(us), it became a race as to which would burst forth first, my conscience or bile.

On Wednesday evening, something was rotten in the state of Denmark. The national broadcaster was bilious, Tom English articulated the bile. Liam McLeod has just finished over two hours of commentary, finally opining, "It's finished three-two on aggregate in favour of the Danes, Celtic supporters are more used to glorious European nights". One Dandy handed back to another Don, Big Dick sighed heavily before allowing Tom to take centre stage in the Gang Hut. He began with a blustered volley, "If Bomber Brown had been placed in charge of Celtic as an undercover agent, he couldn't have made it worse than Celtic have themselves". 

Clearly, the thought of Rangers had began Tom's unsettled state. Earlier that day, BBC Scotland's website had put up a multi-paragraphed piece by the Limerick lad, stating anything less than a Treble and Champions League group stage football, was a Rangers failure in the coming season. Setting the bar so high that standing on one's tippy toes, stretching to touch with your finger tips, is not good for the abdominal muscles. The cramps must have been severe because Tom announced, "Rangers have two teams, their reserve team could win the league comfortably". Tom owned the pain with, "Rangers are ready for a gunfight, Celtic are armed with a pea-shooter". 

Tom's bile bubbled for several minutes, realising he had over used Rangers as leverage he became more soothing. He likes Big Ange', he's a straight talker. Celtic played well, "they were the better side in both games". Ange' is not to blame and Dermot must have loomed large because his next statement was, "Desmond is a very successful business man". Obviously perspiring and experiencing light headedness he recovered, "there's lots of money swishing around the club". Seriously, I don't know what's worse, Tom deliberately setting Rangers a high bar or utilising us to increase leverage on his beloved Bhoys?

The Bomber Brown reference is particularly strange, maybe his playing for Rangers in an effective Champions League semi-final against Marseille gives Tom further dyspepsia? This time last year Tom wrote, "Celtic are overwhelming favourites to clinch a tenth straight Scottish title at the end of Neil Lennon's long journey. There will be no hiding place for Rangers fans". I suggest Tom leaves off the fried soda bread and baked beans, all those hardened sharp edges and fibrous pulses are hard to handle on the way back up. 

Edited by 26th of foot