Pacific Quay Musings?

Again, written as a License Fee Paying Rangers supporter.

Last evening, the entire AberTic team were at Dens Park, providing commentary on the Dundee-Hibs game. Thus Richard Gordon, Liam McLeod, Wullie Miller, and Chris McLaughlin indulged in faux excitement at Neil Lennon's approach to total football. The game of the night at Ibrox was covered by Rob McLean in front of a TV inside PQ. Martin Dowden(proclaimed a good Sellik man by Annie McGuire) was at New Douglas Park, promising an interview with Acas Chairman, Ronnie McDonald.

Listening whilst driving, Rangers were mentioned after ten minutes when Big Dick introduced Martin Dowden and spoke matters Acas. We were told speculation reference Docherty should be resolved at 19.30hrs with Martin's interview. Crystal Palace had inquired that morning and may provide a twist? Wishful thinking was dismissed a few minutes later when Big Dick informed the listenership that Rangers have signed Greg Docherty for a fee believed to be in the region of 600k. However, according to their sources, nowhere near that figure has been handed over at the moment. Perhaps more will emerge in the next few days?

The next tool to be used by Big Dick was Derek Ferguson, "you've raved about Greg Docherty for the last few seasons". The former Ranger eulogises the player and Big Dick springs, "ah know Acas staff have been amazed at his lack of recognition from those selecting Scotland's under 21s, maybe that will change now"? Derek takes the barb and laments that how it was in his day, and it's probably the same now. Big Dick ends with, "we'll see".

I was attending the game, thus cannot report on their coverage. I heard the half-time report on my radio and it was a few lines from Rob McLean, obviously events at Ibrox could not compete with excitement at Dens. After the game, both walking back to my vehicle and driving back to deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, I listened intently for the opposition's manager's post-match interview with Big Dick. These last several weeks, BBC Radio Scotland has improved their coverage of games at Ibrox by calling the opposition manager for thoughts on the game, or to reinforce Big Dick's whims. I have heard both Martin Canning and Tommy Wright deliver deserved praise to their sides, and Owen Coyle complain bitterly about a refused last minute penalty. I sat in my drive way for the last few minutes of the show waiting on Derek McInnes. It was a no show, thus I must wonder if this new facet of coverage is on;y for victorious managers or those with a grievance?

Big Dick's main concern post-match, was the well being of Dons Keeper, Joe Lewis. Several updates on his leg injury, although no mention on whether he should have been yellow/red carded. Remember, this from a genial host reduced to broadcasting a list of incidents involving Rangers players(well, mainly Ryan Jack) that might interest the Compliance Officer. At the game, those Dandy Dons remaining in attendance saw their Keeper injured and a penalty awarded, then immediately sang, 'nice one Simmie'. Reminds me of Big Dick several years past, "people forget, there were two victims of that tackle". I suspect Big Dick is as confused as his fellow Dandies at the Loving Cup ceremony? Booing Broxy Bear is one thing, but chorusing ridicule on an eighty-odd year ceremony commemorating a colliery disaster! At least they are consistent, something Pacific Quay are not. 

Yeah, I eagerly tuned in once we got back to the car last night but, as usual after a good Rangers win, updates from Ibrox were thin on the ground.  Must have been a long drive home for Rob MacLean and big Dick.

I'd the misfortune to listen to the tranny last night. I'd foolishly assumed we'd get an 'as-live' commentary from the studio and was stunned when I realised the Hibs/Dundee match was being covered. They cut to Rob McLean when we scored and they half-heartedly admitted Morelos was in decent form and having a good season. The second half was much the same, cutting away to other grounds if someone scored. The radio gave the impression of a more even contest than those in attendance have since told me it was. 

It's farcical that second against third isn't the match to receive live commentary. 

I posted this on another thread but it's relevant here. Around 6pm on BBC Scotland telly was a full screen shot. It said "Rangers V Aberdeen 6.30 Live commentary.

I assume they would claim this is not an advert but simply the evening schedule for the radio.......but it was certainly misleading since of course there was no live commentary of the match

40 minutes ago, colinstein said:

I posted this on another thread but it's relevant here. Around 6pm on BBC Scotland telly was a full screen shot. It said "Rangers V Aberdeen 6.30 Live commentary.

I assume they would claim this is not an advert but simply the evening schedule for the radio.......but it was certainly misleading since of course there was no live commentary of the match

Colin I think they class the live text commentary as that as I said before the game. That is their way round to claiming that they had a live commentary.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Colin I think they class the live text commentary as that as I said before the game. That is their way round to claiming that they had a live commentary.

ah right....you said that before...I .just  didn't pick it up.......since you can't get text on the wireless it's a

scandalous misrepresentation though....designed to mislead

Updates on our game were as thin as my hair ,later I watched the Dundee game on the alba channel it was so poor that when the camera panned to the Hibs dugout it looked like their manager was about to nod off .