Pacific Quay Musings?

Subliminal Times.

I suspect most of us thought the worst of BBC Scotland news had passed when former News Editor, Dermot O'Hara left PQ? 

Recently, a new line of attack has been opened once again on news items. This month, we have seen two stories on poverty and obesity. The poverty issue was highlighted by a family replete in Rangers tops. Similarly, the message on obesity was reinforced by footage of a large Rangers supporter bursting forth from his Rangers top. We live in subliminal times. It's heartening to see BBC Scotland news recovering their aggression.

I have mentioned James Cook on a number of occasions, he is the journo that five years past had to apologise for deliberately editing footage of an interview with Ally McCoist. Super was Rangers boss at the time and granted an interview with the Arab, James Cook. It was a long piece, covering all aspects of managing Rangers. The word was, James Cook is the grasping aspirational type. Ferocious ambition drove him to edit the film, twice he decided to make McCoist appear flippant on the topic of sectarianism. He took laughter from earlier, lighter questions, and spliced it into his answers on sectarianism. Deliberately, he altered the story to suit his then bosses' agendas. After apologising for appallingly shoddy journalistic practice, he was promoted to the designation of, 'BBC Correspondent to the USA'. James knew it was a rite of passage thing.

James has been promoted yet again, he is the new News Editor of BBC Scotland's long awaited second(news) channel. Now, Gersnetters will know Chris McLaughlin has been the recipient of two promotions over the same five year period. James and Chris will team up together this coming February when the new channel launches. I was listening to BBC Radio Scotland's Media Review yesterday, Dr Eamonn O'Neill was scathing on the conduct of Der Spiegel's top journo, Claas Relotius. He admitted to making up a dozen stories over the last several years. He had been awarded Germany's Reporter of the Year accolade on the back of a story on Syrian refugees that he admitted to inventing. O'Neill went on to reference other Fantasy Merchants in both the New York Times and the Washington Post.

In conclusion he was merciless on Claas Relotius, "he wants the glory of journalism without going through the ethical hoops".

I wonder why Dr Eamonn decided NOT to highlight the unethical behaviour of both James Cook and Chris McLaughlin?

We should be told. 

Yesterday's Shereen Nanjiani show once again included Angela Haggerty. As stated, she has been introduced under a number of supposed designations over the year, in future she will be known as, 'a Philosopher'.

No shit, Angela announced that she had undertaken a course on Philosophy. The Rene Descartes of Cardonald College extrapolated on her achievement, "philosophy is all about thinking". I feel a new age of enlightenment is upon us.

I think therefore I am will soon transpire into the more Yahoo acceptable, 'I hate, therefore I'm a Bam'. What will become of us all, when Angela starts thinking?

49 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

The Rene Descartes of Cardonald College extrapolated on her achievement, "philosophy is all about thinking"

That is genuinely cringeworthy.  BBC Scotland has reached a new low.

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

It might be 'petty and ill-informed' but the thought of Cosgroves long boatrace when Alfredo got his second today gave me a warm glow inside !

:D

....:seal: 

Cosgrove? Boatrace? I suppose he turned down the offer of a blue.