Pacific Quay Musings?

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Why don't we just go down a radical route here and say that we apply the accent test.  They say imitations is a form of respect so why not allow anyone with (or who develops) the Scottish accent to play for us?  If someone really wants to be regarded Scottish, they should speak like us.  I find it strange when people with other accents are interviewed in a Scotland strip.  It doesn't make sense and I'd propose that we draw the line there.

It solves lots of problems.  If someone is born here but speaks with an English, German, Indian, or French accent, do they really want to be Scottish?  I'd suggest not, and are therefore unlikely to play with the passion we need from them.  Equally, if a German or Spaniard (Albertz or Novo for example) arrive and develop their love of the country so much that they start to speak like us, why not allow them to play for us.  They'd play for the jersey.  Of course, they cannot have represented any other country at any other level.  That's just strange too.

We then open up our potential to attract players like Morelos and Candeias too.  I'm sure we could convince them to play for us, and if they agree just start teaching them the lingo.

Problem solved!  You're welcome Mr McLeish.

Might rid us of Mr Rod Stewart......

But seriously, anyone can put on an accent (even Mel Gibson, in a manner of speaking) so to avoid interlopers and chanty wrasslers staking claims for National recognition, I propose that only those that have the Gaelic, and/or the Guid Scots Tongue should qualify. 

The accent thing is interesting, it stymied Cosgrove last weekend.

As stated, Cosgrove regularly returns to the theme of his desire for greater purity in the national team. He had James McFadden on as a guest, doing the promo for the new era of Big Eck. The craggy font of Caledonian knowledge was off on one reference, 'purity' being essential in the national side. He decided to further illuminate his point by citing a one cap wonder of a player during the Bertie Vogts days, Warren Cummings. He brought nothing to the side, a Londoner exploiting the granny rule to receive a cap from the Jocks. What was Scotland to him?

James McFadden pipes up, he remembers Warren Cummings, was in a few squads with the player, "ah don't know what your talking about, Warren spoke with a Scots accent, he was born in Aberdeen".

Tam Cowan changed the subject to save Cosgrove's blushes. I do hope Big Stu' is consuming more shortbread to bolster his national zeal, and maybe he will refrain from pitchforking hapless names from his failing memory, into the bad fire? I doubt it.

Just now, Scott7 said:

The accent qualification sounds good.

On that basis Joe Baker could have played for Scotland but, eventually, Denis Law would have been dropped.

Hopefully in the Atlantic ocean with that plastic accent.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We don't really use the word loch in the Scottish Borders, so that's a bit unfair.

You might think it's unfair Gonzo, but if we have to sacrifice the borders to make this work, so be it.  If you really want to remain Scottish, you'll learn to use the word more.  :D

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

You might think it's unfair Gonzo, but if we have to sacrifice the borders to make this work, so be it.  If you really want to remain Scottish, you'll learn to use the word more.  :D

Anti-Reiverism!  ?  Reminds me of us continually being told that Highland dress is our national dress - absolute poppycock!  Borderers never wore skirts...sorry, kilts.

I don't mind the grandparent rule.  Gives some more lads a chance to play international football.

3 minutes ago, compo said:

I don't care you are the nationality of the country were your born and if born in an airport ,tough luck that's the way the cookie crumbles .

So if your mum and dad are Scottish but the dad gets a job in Paris and they have you over there, you're French?  Even if you move back to Scotland when you're 6 months old?  

Seems a bit daft.