Pacific Quay Musings?

• 2 weeks later...

Endeavours?

I spoke with several Oxford United fans yesterday, a couple of the guys got access to Bar 72 through their company having an  office in Glasgow. They enjoyed their day thoroughly, the trip proving popular with over a thousand of their fellow Yellows. One of the lad's sister works at BBC Oxford and she was surprised at the blunt refusals from PQ to furnish their sister station with commentary, live updates, and text updates. Like all BBC regional stations, Oxford provides these services to both viewers and listeners for supporters in their broadcast footprint ie Reading, Swindon Town, and Oxford United.  Apparently, there had been a few discussions and confusion over, 'Rangers dispute with the BBC'. 

I endeavoured to provide an objective appreciation on BBC Scotland's dispute with Rangers supporters paying their license fee.

The Return of the Hag.

The spectre of Lyra McKee's murder is dissipating and Angela Haggerty is again being wheeled into numerous BBC Scotland studios to vent forth on an entire spectrum of issues where she is deemed expert. Last week, three exposures on radio included twice on Shereen Nanjiani's show(current affairs) and once on Kay Adams show(an appeal for a more measured approach during on line debate). Obviously, a Producer or a grouping of Producers(what is the collective noun for BBC Scotland Producers) like the sound of Angela's voice!

Angela's on line presence is the epitome of the measured approach. On the night of Lyra McKee being shot dead by a balaclava clad republican, her twitter feed was a case in point. Another contributor set out the extreme circumstances surrounding the young Journo's death ie a line of police being confronted by a hundred youth who had lobbed in excess of fifty petrol bombs at the police, and had several shots aimed at them from an automated pistol; Angela replied it was not an unusual occurrence. Further, stating it was a usual Saturday night event was most measured. The last Journo murdered in Northern Ireland was during 2001.

I am mystified as to Angela's frequent appearances, because she appears vacuous. On Saturday morning, the first twenty minutes is taken up by Andy Murray's return to SW 19. Shereen is particularly delighted that Andy has teemed up with Serena Williams for the Mixed Doubles. She suggests the team should be known as, 'SerAndy'. Angela's only contribution was, "ah don't get it, it sounds like Sir Andy, is that the point"? We a\re all beneficiaries of Angela's measured approach.

Whenever Angela appears, there is a guarantee that she will state, "ahm fae the Isle of Bute", followed by, "ahm 33", and concluding, "ahm a big Sellik supporter". I propose Angela is worthy of a sobriquet. I suggest, 'Angela Interesting Haggerty' ? Let's hope Love Island is relocated to Bute next year, Angela can say she is from the Isle of Bute, she is a big Sellik supporter, and in keeping with measured interest, "ahm 34".

As a Rangers supporter, or as Angela would say on line, 'a member of der Klan'; I would say that, wouldn't I?

Big Hooses.

We know DrStu' has been heavily exercised with Big Hooses down south during the tenure of our last two national managers. DrStu' was demanding both Gordon Strachan and Alex McLeish sell their family homes in Engerland and commit to Scotland. The current Boss, Steve Clarke also has his family home(Big Hoose) in England's green and pleasant land, but no demand as yet from DrStu'. We should be told why?

DrStu's green steak of jealousy is regularly exposed when the salaries of his fellow BBC presenters are revealed. Gary Lineker, Chris Evans, Jeremy Vine, .... et al - they all have numerous Big Hooses and DrStu' resents contributing in part to their purchase through paying his license fee. Of course, DrStu' has told us on numerous occasions about his Big Hoose in Dennistoun. On Saturday, he revealed he was once again off on holiday to Sri Lanka. Further, his motivation for buying his property(Big Hoose) in Sri Lanka was the location is called Kinross Beach. Now, I wonder if Gersnetters are allowed to feel resentment about contributing in part through our license fees?

As DrStu' often says, "it's the hope that kills you". I note last week, Sri Lanka was advertising for two Executioners, the first appointment in over 45 years. Here's hoping. 

7 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Obviously, a Producer or a grouping of Producers(what is the collective noun for BBC Scotland Producers) like the sound of Angela's voice!

A Chapter, obviously but perhaps a diocese?

First games back saw PQ spring back into action covering Euro qualifiers.

I didn't listen to the live coverage but just to note that their podcast dedicated approximately 3+ minutes to the Celtic game for every minute on the Rangers match. The interview with the Celtic manager can account for approx. one of those minutes which would leave Celtic getting a tadge more than double the podcast coverage we did.

For the record........the other thing the PQ podcast provided was a jingle prepared for 'Celtic in the CL', with nothing for us.

Podcast pundits: Houston and Bonnar

Edited by buster.