Pacific Quay Musings?

9 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Grey Granite.

A busy midweek of Euro action for four Scots clubs. Four ties equates to eight games, we all pay our license fee, the national broadcaster provides seven live commentaries. Rangers against St Josephs at Ibrox is deliberately omitted. We know why PQ fails to provide a service to elderly, infirm, isolated, .......... etc Rangers supporters. It used to be that we heard post match reaction from opposition managers at Ibrox. It was a mixture of triumphalism and grievance, dependent upon result. Last season, only one opposition manager, Aberdeen's Derek McInnes came to the phone to talk to Big Dick. Interestingly, it was after both Dandy Dons victories at the Stadium, our only two defeats at home in the entire season.

On Wednesday evening, we received live coverage of Neil Lennon's post match press conference. We received selected quotes from the Sarajevo manager's appearance at same conference. Last night, Derek came to the mike, selected quotes from the Finnish teams boss, Angelo Alessio bravely met Chick Young at Rugby Park, and an exuberant Conah Quay's gaffer, Andy Morrison lapsed into his Kinlochbervie tones whilst lionising his team. Nothing from Steven Gerrard, well we expect that; but St Joseph's chief coach, Raul Procopio did speak and PQ ignored his words. He said, "The result is to be expected because we lost four nil in the first leg and Rangers are a world class team. I'm proud of my team and it's a dream come true to play at Ibrox".

Compliments to Scots teams are no longer welcome at PQ? How about attendances at the four games? We were told just under 25,000 trapped at ra Stydome on Wednesday, 9,000 at Rucby Park, and Liam proudly acknowledged 175 of his fellow Dandies journeying to the Acrtic Circle. No information about the attendance at Ibrox. I believe it to be in excess of 40,000 and was the biggest crowd over the weeks Euro games? It would appear the national broadcaster no longer wants to promote the Scots game? 

We won't hear whether the tor in Gibraltar contains more granite than utilised to build Aberdeen. Further, we won't hear any discussion on the Scottish Co-efficient, we won't hear how many Scots international were in the Killie team humbled by singing coal men, we won't hear how the side that finished fourth last season containing four players in Big Dick's Premiership team of the year, struggled against reindeer herders and Santa's helpers, we won't hear ......................... etc

That's the problem, we pay but we don't hear.

More that Gersnetters should read that. Would it be possible to quote you on twitter, etc?

3 minutes ago, compo said:

I haven't listened to this bunch of BBC twats for the past two seasons 

No matter,  you're still paying their fat salaries ?

The Fellowship of the Ring.

My village had a Library, the Librarian was most keen on encouraging children to read. This is over half a century past, national libraries launched a scheme to monitor under twelves reading habits. It was called the Good Reader, effort was rewarded by the award of seven differently coloured badges emboldened by lettering, GR1 to GR7.  You were handed a book by the Librarian and had a fortnight to read it, then you were brought in to present a synopsis and answer several questions on the narrative. At the age of ten, I was presented with the Hobbit as my final read. I had no empathy with the characters and thought Tolkien's prose to be drier than a stick.

Later, I found out Tolkien had penned the tome specifically for the entertainment of his son, John. His favourable reaction led to publication, the few surviving first editions contain JRR's dedication to his eldest. John Tolkien became a Priest and for a number of decades was constantly moved between parishes in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Coventry, and Stoke. It's a well told tale, familiar to us all, a journey to there and back again. John Tolkien passed away before prosecution, but the current English Cardinal, Vincent Nichols authorised a £15,000 payment to one of Fr John's accusers.

The journey is well documented; targeted, gaining trust, affection, isolation, sexualisation, maintaining control. It is a serious business and demands organisation. An organisation within an organisation, a Gang Hut is necessary to deal with the fall out. Spreading the blame, off loading guilt, ridiculing accusers, offering an occasional apology for a bad egg, assuring promotions as rewards, blaming the victims, denial, ............... etc. There has to be management imbued with foresight and penetrative thought. Remember the oxpecker and the hippo, that symbiotic relationship? Those currently having fun need those that have enjoyed fun in the past and been moved/promoted, and vice-versa; such mutual support ensures perpetuity of fun continues.

Another three or four years passed before I read Lord of the Rings and similarly, by midway through the second book of the trilogy, I was Bored of the Rings. The Gollum character became a niggle. JRR Tolkien was a devout catholic and it's surprising that all four tomes contain no mention of faith. No higher power, no one to beseech. I think Gollum is the closest, he is a Jiminey Cricket, part conscience; and it is he that falls into Mordor's lava stream, having successfully been re-acquainted with his precious. At the start of this week, Chris McLaughlin was in Japan, previewing next year's Tokyo Olympics. The new BBC Scotland second channel has a £30-odd million budget, Chris deserves his reward. Watching Mount Fuji in the background, I thought, here's hoping, but I doubt Chris has a conscience?

The hidden hand of the Gang Hut served up Gollum's sister(I didn't read that in the books), the crystal gazer and inner-buzz rocker, Constance appeared throughout last weekend. Connie hosted Off the Ball, shared presentation duties with Geof Webster on Sunday, and obeyed her Producers. Interestingly, in 25 years of Off the Ball, Gollum has never appeared, refused to participate. Connie gets to host the show. Her co-presenter was Ray Bradshaw(Thistle), her guests were Mark Wilson, a Killie fan and a Dandy Don. They had lots of fun. Connie knows it's the exposure that counts and she raised the following for discussion : past Sellik strips, her fave-rave Sellik strip, a fox on the pitch at Sellik Park, Danny Fox, Sellik in Sarajevo, CR Smith tops, and my fave-rave, Connie's disappointment and in her opinion Sellik's worse Euro result, ra Bhoys only defeating TNS 8-0.

The Producer shouted, "BALANCE" and Alfredo Morelos was mentioned twice and Connie told us he was for the off, twice. More balance in the second hour had Connie going  round the table, the thirty second consensus was we will be second, then it back to the fun. The second part of the show(the evening part) had James Grady as Connie's guest, BALANCE? Finally on Sunday, Connie was screaming, "who can begrudge Shane Lowry this victory", as the man himself strolled towards his final putt? I am hoping Connie can BALANCE that one.

Talking of BALANCE, who at PQ took the decision NOT to send along a reporter to cover Rangers launch of 'Everywhere, Anywhere, Everyone, Anyone'? 

The midweek Euro action had full commentary from both Sellik Park and Georgia, from the usual Abertic crew. Last Week, Killie at Rugby Park had Killie fan, John Barnes doing the commentary. Rangers at Ibrox last evening had next to nothing ie full text updates on BBC Scotland's website. The barbs about license fees and no service are troubling, last night we were given the teams at Ibrox after the Aberdeen game; further, we had a two minute vox-pop conducted next to the Ibrox ticket office. "Rangers fans sound optimistic", offered Big Dick. Then, it was back to the fun of promoting Sam Cosgrove as the goal machine.

Vox-pops and text updates, they're isolating us and fcuking with us.

In this calendar year, I think BBC Scotland have issued four apologies to Rangers and Rangers supporters.