Pacific Quay Musings?

16 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

So if your mum and dad are Scottish but the dad gets a job in Paris and they have you over there, you're French?  Even if you move back to Scotland when you're 6 months old?  

Seems a bit daft.

That's it I was born in Aldershot so I am English although I came up here when I was one one brother was born in Germany so he's a square head , you are what you are .

6 hours ago, Darthter said:

Simpler solution than accent....just get them to pronounce Loch, Milngavie, Sauchiehall St & Strathavon - if pronounced properly, they're in!!!

You say that as a joke but during the war(so I have been told) the Dutch used to have a sentence

"De Scheveningen schapen Scheerder"(The Scheveningen Sheep sheerer) which Germans cannot pronounce, and that is how they could differentiate between A Netherlands person and a German who could speak good Dutch. The ch in Dutch is made into the same guttural sound as in our Loch

4 minutes ago, pete said:

You say that as a joke but during the war(so I have been told) the Dutch used to have a sentence

"De Scheveningen schapen Scheerder"(The Scheveningen Sheep sheerer) which Germans cannot pronounce, and that is how they could differentiate between A Netherlands person and a German who could speak good Dutch. The ch in Dutch is made into the same guttural sound as in our Loch

I’ve head similar but the key word was Ijmuiden

11 minutes ago, pete said:

My Da used to work out of Scheveningen in the 70's landing herring always remember him saying the barman wouldn't serve Germans.

Just now, Bill said:

I’ve head similar but the key word was Ijmuiden

I haven't heard that one but there are possibly more. We used to get the Germans trying to say it in my work and they really can't say it. There are words I have difficulty in pronouncing where they can normally tell I am English speaking.

2 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

My Da used to work out of Scheveningen in the 70's landing herring always remember him saying the barman wouldn't serve Germans.

In the 70's I can quite believe that but political correctness wouldn't allow it now and also the Dutch economy is dependant on the Germans.

Regarding the accent thing when Brian Laudrup was with us I once saw him being interviewed at the start of a close season and when asked what he was going to do he said "i'm going my hoalidays" which amused me no end.