Standing up for Ibrox accessibility improvements

In my own humble opinion, safe standing is a complete waste of time and money and, I believe, support for it is largely motivated by the fact others have pursued it. To be frank, it is so far down the list of priorities for Rangers that it shouldn't even be in sight.

By contrast, our facilities for disabled fans are obsolete and demeaning and a serious upgrade is long overdue.

I have no argument against safe standing if the club are paying for it. But it’s obvious that Club1872 have already determined that they will pay for it if the members agree in a ballot. No other proposal will be put to members as far as I can ascertain, so the only way to stop this money being spent is vote against. When we have 25% of share issue we can maybe then spend cash on this vanity project. As others have said, our handicapped fans should be at the front of the que for any spend available.

I take it the club have looked into this.  I can imagine the logistics and cost are quite significant, given the layout of the stadium.

A problem we have (with disabled areas and safe standing) is the amount of supporters who refuse to move seats.  

Anyone remember the wee blue invalid cars parked in front of the north enclosure . maybe if people with wheelchairs or bad at walking with the cooperation of the club could hire something like an enclosed golf buggy that would let them have access along the front of the stands 

As an addendum to this,today as I ascended the stairs to go to my seat,an elderly gentleman with severe walking difficulty was also going up the stairs.Regrettably no other fans seemed to be helping by allowing him time to climb the stairs,so my son and I stood behind him to give him time and helped him to his seat.Unbelievably two stewards at the top of the stairs gave no assistance to the gentleman. Therefore we do not just require better facilities for the disabled but also a look at the abilities of the stewards.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

As an addendum to this,today as I ascended the stairs to go to my seat,an elderly gentleman with severe walking difficulty was also going up the stairs.Regrettably no other fans seemed to be helping by allowing him time to climb the stairs,so my son and I stood behind him to give him time and helped him to his seat.Unbelievably two stewards at the top of the stairs gave no assistance to the gentleman. Therefore we do not just require better facilities for the disabled but also a look at the abilities of the stewards.

Things like that to me are all down to the attitude of the individuals involved. I’ll give you 2 examples of contrasting experiences I personally have had with stewards. Before the home match v Hearts in August last year, the match commander David Martin made a decision, in conjunction with Police Scotland, to close off the perimeter of the stadium at 2pm from then on due to heightened security concerns. All well and good and understandable to a point. Unfortunately though, no one at the club thought to let myself and other disabled fans and their carers (who parked behind the Broomloan) know. So there was myself, my best mate and 4 hyper children in the car with us barred from parking up and the stewards couldn’t have been less interested and even became confrontational. We eventually had to go home as I couldn’t find anywhere that we could park that I would manage to get my Son to and from in his chair. I took it straight to David Martin directly and he did nothing. On the flip side to that though, there’s a lovely lady who’s a supervisor that regularly makes a point of, before home matches and at half time, coming over and chatting away to my Sons and I, asking how they’re getting on etc A few years ago she arranged for my oldest Son and my Dad (who she always used to chat to and ask after as well) to visit Auchenhowie together to be shown around, meet Mark Warburton and the squad and generally be made a fuss of. My ex Mrs took them along as I was working and they both had a ball. My Dad passed away less than a year later (in September 2016) and at my first match back at Ibrox without him the same lady came over and gave my Son and I a huge hug when I told her the news. Although I shed a tear or 2 that day, I took great pride in telling her how happy and beaming my Dad had been when I saw him later that day after his trip to Auchenhowie and how grateful I was to her for arranging it for them both. Okay she went above and beyond but it’s lovely and heartening to know there are such people involved at our great club where the smiling faces and making our supporters day, like she did with my Son and Dad, is reward enough. Even if they won’t all do that, a bit of compassion and common sense dealing with a situation like you described should be a minimum prerequisite for any member of staff in the stadium surely. Anyone who can’t do that should be dealt with accordingly in my opinion.

Edited by catchdavid