Danny Wilson: I wanted to Stay

Maybe i remember things incorrectly but in the transfer thread everyone was calling him out for leaving now he says he was forced out and we're still not happy. What is it we want exactly?

Personally if what he says is true it does show some issues with the inner workings of the club. Would you not find it odd to be told one day expect a promotion then the next day being told they want you to leave? (i know a regular work setting maybe not the best analogy but still)  I know i would. 

For me the clue to Danny's performances and percieved value comes in his experience.  He's 26 and about to reach his prime, but despite his underlying talent he is oft inconsistent and prone to mistakes that have cost us.  

So I looked up his appearance record on wiki and its as follows:

2009–2010 Rangers 14 (1)
2010–2013 Liverpool 2 (0)
2012  Blackpool (loan) 6 (0)
2012–2013  Bristol City (loan) 1 (0)
2013  Heart of Midlothian (loan) 13 (0)
2013–2015 Heart of Midlothian 64 (9)
2015–2018 Rangers 65 (4)
2018– Colorado Rapids 0 (0)

So, 165 league appearances in 8/9 years.   So he's averaging circa 20 league games a season.  

There's lads coming through from some of the smaller teams in this country that have that number of games by the time they are 22/23.   I would have kept him, but then when I look at his record, I can see that he's still a risk based on his lack of development from circa 18/19 to 23/24 years of age, which may ultimately limit his potential at a critical part of his career.

its tinged with disappointment, but I think we will quickly move on.  

Edited by stewarty

49 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd prefer him in the squad than Bates. 

It just shows how we all see the game differently, or value different qualities.  Bates is better at marking and closing down, but Wilson was better with his distribution.  There's no question in my mind that Bates has much more potential than Wilson.  I just hope he fulfills it.

Am I correct in saying that as Rangers supporters we've been fairly content (happy) with the business that we've done in this January transfer window? If that is true then that would suggest that the manager along with the DOF and his team have got most if not all of their business dealings right so far. With that said here are some stats;

Season 15/16

Out of a possible 50 competitive matches Wilson played,

Season 16/17

Out of a possible 49 competitive matches Wilson played,

Season 17/18

Out of a possible 30 competitive matches Wilson played,

Combining all of the above stats we can see that out of a possible 129 +/-2 competitive matches Danny Wilson played a total of,

That's 47 matches he didn't feature in across 2 ½ seasons. If we contrast that against James Tavernier who has 50, 44 and 32 (extra 2 here are after Wilson transfer 30/1/18) for a total of 126 appearances. I don't know about anyone else but I can see why there might be at least some doubt about renewing his contract at the end of the season. Loyalty is all well and good but if a player who is approaching his prime at 26-7 years of age cant stay fit and ready to play then it is of little importance if he wants to stay or not, he is no good to the manager if he's not selectable, I'd be dubious about renewing his contract. It is certainly not lost on me that since the DOF and his team have completed some good business during this window that they are coming under fire from media sources because lets face it folks, with the McInnes speculation added on to it in the first attempt re: DOF having full autonomy, that is exactly what this is!

Edited by Big Jaws