Nelson Mandela Statue

13 hours ago, compo said:

Out of the dozen statues in George square there is not one of Alexander Fleming who pioneered the use of penicillin that has saved millions of lives the world over ,shame on the city .

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Having been over three times in the past decade, it doesn't look like the poverty has improved at all.  The 'squatter camps' are commonplace.  

Crime certainly seems to have worsened.  

he's from Darvel

9 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Mandela fascinates me. Did SA actually become a great place after apartheid ended? If anything it looks worse now.

It certainly became a great place for black ANC career politicians. The new president of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa, has a net worth estimated at $700m. So much for black rule solving the poverty of South Africa. If anything the division of wealth has only widened.

On 17/02/2018 at 00:29, Gonzo79 said:

Fair enough, boabie.  

Mandela's situation had an impact on international opinion and that had an impact on the regime change...would be my attempt to provide evidence, albeit rather vague.

F.W De Klerk changed the regime not Mandela.

13 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Having been over three times in the past decade, it doesn't look like the poverty has improved at all.  The 'squatter camps' are commonplace.  

Crime certainly seems to have worsened.  

Due to the stories I’ve heard of people who lived there (2 I know of loved to Scotland for their safety) I wouldn’t consider visiting.

41 minutes ago, StuGers said:

Due to the stories I’ve heard of people who lived there (2 I know of loved to Scotland for their safety) I wouldn’t consider visiting.

My wife is South African, so I didn't have much choice.  It has some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen but the safety concerns do seem to be mounting - there's also a drought situation in Cape Town just now.