Rangers ace Niko Kranjcar will consider QUITTING football at the end of the season

HANG UP THE BOOTS?

Rangers ace Niko Kranjcar will consider QUITTING football at the end of the season, according to dad Zlatko

The Croatian - who has been plagued by injury at Ibrox - has featured just once for Graeme Murty's side since the turn of the year.

NIKO KRANJCAR will consider QUITTING football at the end of the season, according to his managerial legend father.

The Rangers midfielder has become a bit part player recently for the in-form Ibrox side and has featured just once this year – in the 3-0 Scottish Cup win at Fraserburgh.

He recovered from a serious knee injury last season and played in the last Old Firm game at Parkhead in December, but is well down the pecking order since manager Graeme Murty received an influx of new blood in January.

He’s out of contract at the end of the season and his dad Zlatko Kranjcar – the former Dinamo Zagreb and Croatia boss who has had 24 different management jobs in a career stretching 27 years – has revealed the 33-year-old former Spurs ace is struggling.

He said: “After his major injury, he still gets a lot of pain in his knee. He still suffers from water in the knee.

“But he is still under contract with Rangers. You would have to ask him whether he will continue when his contract expires in the summer.

“He was out for almost nine months and when he played since coming back, he played well. But frankly, it is more and more difficult for him.

“When you get an injury like that, it’s not just physical, it can be the psychological side of it too.

“I retired at 35. I had an Achilles tendon injury, but I came back and I had less of a break than him. But at that stage, I already had no desire to keep playing.

“I think he is going to keep trying and at least he’s only 33. I want him to continue his career, but it’s his decision.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2283788/rangers-niko-kranjcar-zlatko/

5 hours ago, pete said:

He may continue but I doubt it will be with Rangers.

He'd be better off looking after what he's got left of his knees.

Comes accross as a decent bloke who did his best but really, it was always a very risky signing that not surprisingly didn't return much in the way of value for money. 

The signing of Docherty is the broad direction we should be headed.

It's probably right. His legs have gone, but he's still got a nice touch; he'd need to be the focal point of a team, which is not possible at Rangers. Moreover, we've signed a few midfielders that are ahead of him in the pecking order.

I wished we had managed to sign him a few years earlier. Good player in his time.