Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans - Rangers v Celtic Preview

Windass is an extremely dangerous player for any opposition to deal with provided he gets the service. Murty has been going with two, Docherty and Goss, in central midfield so thats been fairly easy against the lesser opposition in the SPL. However against the tougher teams Hibs, Aberdeen and Celtic with the exception of Aberdeen it has left the two central midfielders exposed when they put three in there.

Whereas Rogic on Sunday was a constant thorn in our side sitting between the lines of our defence and midfield occasionally dropping deep to help in there adding another man or playing across the park from right to left (thats defending from the front). Windass doesn't offer that he's only ever looking to break the lines and very rarely tracks the ball carrier beside him which means he floats in and out of games. For me its odd because he has pace to burn yet cant track a defender as he moves out with the ball which suggests to me that he switches off when the opposition has it or he sees the move late when defensive duty required him to spot it early and move. I'm not saying he needs dropped perse but he needs to be more alert because at times he's a passenger.  

Edited by Big Jaws

Agree with the above. I also noted that each time Cummings played, he tracked back and chased people, yet, once the situation was cleared, hared back to be available up front.

BTW, it also worked when we had WIndass, Morelos and Cummings on, with all three taking turns at dropping to either side of the front line every now and then. As has been noted, Windass sure is a danger with his pace and willingness to take people on while running at them. Against teams like the Scum we should have someone with more individual technical skill in that shadow striker/attacking creative role too though. Can't tell if e.g. Dorrans is such a player.

Edited by der Berliner

Goss had a poor match and was partly at fault for the third.  I wouldn't drop him but that's two matches against sides with decent midfields (Hibs and Celtc) where he's been largely anonymous.  Which is why I don't get the clamour to sign him. 

Goss was mainly to blame for the third goal, in my opinion, and I was suggesting at half time he could have been subbed at that point. He was doing very little late in the first half when we were under the onslaught.

He's an asset for games that aren't too physical but needs to show more in games like the Celtic game.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Goss was mainly to blame for the third goal, in my opinion, and I was suggesting at half time he could have been subbed at that point. He was doing very little late in the first half when we were under the onslaught.

He's an asset for games that aren't too physical but needs to show more in games like the Celtic game.

I wanted Goss replaced at half-time, we needed Holt's energy in midfield because we were outnumbered. The irony arrived when the red card was issued, we needed Goss because he is a heads-up player and can pick a pass.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Windass practically jumped out of Rogic's way before he scored the equaliser.  And that's exactly why he's someone I don't have much time for.  

That was Goss, not Windass.