Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans - Rangers v Celtic Preview

Excellent article.

Amidst the optimism I have two main concerns for the game. First is, as I've said before, they have a huge advantage in that a draw is a win for them.

Sure it doesn't fit their narrative of being on a different planet to us but at the end of the day a draw virtually wins them the league lets face it.

Tactically that is huge because it means they don't need to take risks but we do, allowing them to play on the counter. This can work out to our advantage if we're clinical with our finishing because we're likely to have more of the ball.

Second concern is the number of players now who aren't really in best shape for the game anymore. Alves, John and Murphy have all now had less than ideal preparation. The rest of the squad should be in ideal shape having played so many games in a row, but those 3 are a bit of a concern because we need to be at our best.

It will be interesting to see if Celtic go with Gamboa at RB or a 3-5-2.

We have a good system with good players who are fit and know what they are doing, if we lose the match it isn't the end of the world as we can see how much improvement we have made, at the start of the season the target was to get 2nd spot and close the gap on the scum and a good cup run, we are getting there.

We have the players to hurt them and if we play like we can then I am confident, we also have strength on the bench and players who can come on and change the game. Our players are playing with confidence, belief and are fit so we are in the best shape going into a match against them than we have been for years.

Bring it on :rfcbouncy:

Comparison of our likely bench compared to the December game:

Alnwick                     Alnwick

Bates                         Martin

Hodson                     Wallace

Barjonas                   Halliday

Pena                          Holt

Hardie                       Cummings

Herrera                     Miller

The improvements have largely been to the starting team, but the options off the bench are better too. Holt will likely replace Goss I think later in the game when we just need his energy to track back and to win the ball back. Cummings will obviously make an appearance and offers a real goal threat from the bench, something we didn't have last time. What Miller adds for me these days is heading. If you're getting the ball in the box but aren't winning headers, Miller can do that pretty well imo.

Its the most 'buzzing' I have been for an Old Firm game for many many years. Cant wait for Sunday.

Lets get stuck right into them from the first whistle. I watched the now famous video of Kevin Thomson's two early fair tackles on Robbie Keane, we need a bit of that on Sunday

Looking forward to Sunday and think great article from JMc and that team will pick itself if all relevant players fit.

IMO we should pressure their midfield in their own half and have someone like Docherty constantly in the face of Brownto not allow him to play his simple game of 5-10 yard passing.

Come on the Gers:rfcbouncy:

I was hoping there would be an improvement or some kind of trend here but unfortunately we're pretty much just as leaky now as we were in December (1 goal less conceded overall in the 7 games running up to the old firm.

2.png

5 goals scored more this time round over the 7 games.

However until the last 3 games we'd actually scored 2 less. The gap opened up due to the away games at Hamilton and St Johnstone who to be honest are very poor sides.

I've not included cup games because they just distort the real picture.

3.png