[FT] Motherwell 2 - 2 Rangers (Tavernier 52 pen; Murphy 53)

I was totally shocked to see the Killie supporters being led singing and chanting down the Copeland road past the subway queue and Louden's pub. At one point I was even caught in the middle of them. Maybe it is a good thing that this can happen these days but I know for sure it would not have happened in the seventies or eighties. I get the feeling even the Police are taking liberties in trying to ridicule us.

I have to stick my hands up and say maybe I bring bad-luck to the team as my last 4 games have been losses.

Luxemburg Celtic Kilmarnock  and Aberdeen's 2-1 defeat last season. Thankfully I was at our 2-1 win against Hearts last season otherwise I would really be worried. Maybe my absence will help. 

11 minutes ago, compo said:

Always sticky opponents the Well are so play 4..2..3..1 AND ATTACK for the ninety minutes. 

The 4-2-3-1 hasn't really served us too well in the last couple of games as with the two wingers and Windass further forward, we're outnumbered in midfield so countered too easily whilst still being outnumbered in attack if we don't move the ball quickly enough.

That suggests there's room for change - especially on a tight Fir Park pitch - so I suspect that whilst it's extremely unlikely Murphy, Windass and Candeias will all be dropped, at least one of them might be.

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

The 4-2-3-1 hasn't really served us too well in the last couple of games as with the two wingers and Windass further forward, we're outnumbered in midfield so countered too easily whilst still being outnumbered in attack if we don't move the ball quickly enough.

That suggests there's room for change - especially on a tight Fir Park pitch - so I suspect that whilst it's extremely unlikely Murphy, Windass and Candeias will all be dropped, at least one of them might be.

I never think we play our best if we play a narrow game 

Just now, compo said:

I never think we play our best if we play a narrow game 

I'd tend to agree with that and the 4-2-3-1 has served us well (in 2018 especially) but we have to be less predictable so that should mean a change in system (or at least personnel) from time to time.

We are a far better side away from home, simply there is more room to play, particularly in behind. Ra Sellik down to ten men saw Broonaldo defend from the point, and continually shuttle into the full back positions. Mulumbu did the same for Killie. We will create opportunities, we must take a few. 

11 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

We are a far better side away from home, simply there is more room to play, particularly in behind. Ra Sellik down to ten men saw Broonaldo defend from the point, and continually shuttle into the full back positions. Mulumbu did the same for Killie. We will create opportunities, we must take a few. 

Agree with that and Motherwell are quite strong defensively too.  However, they're not shy in getting forward so we have to make the most of any gaps when they appear.

I think I'd like to see this formation tried out. As you say unlikely so many will be dropped. Candeias has featured on the right side of the diamond before so probably would again, Murphy could feature at the tip of the diamond behind the striker and Windass could play as a striker, though tbh I'd prefer to see Cummings and Morelos given a chance starting with Windass coming on early second half either behind them or in place of Cummings if he doesn't turn up.